ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Yates and the final drive at Baylor...

eer2000

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
First, if you haven't listened to JaQuay Hubbard's appearance on the Three Guys podcast, do yourself a favor and check in. Lots of good nuggets in there...

One point he made which I hadn't considered, was how key Brandon Yates's self awareness was on the final drive at Baylor. He wasn't supposed to be in, and was on the sidelines when Zach Frazier got hurt. We all have talked about what an unbelievable job that was by Frazier to have the wherewithal to get off the field, broken leg and all, to avoid the 10-second runoff when we were driving with less than a minute left, down 4. But Hubbard pointed out something I hadn't considered -- Yates was ready to go. He had his helmet on, and when he saw Zach jumping off the field on one leg, he sprinted into the game to ensure that we would beat the play clock. He got to the ball, checked their alignment, called the cadence and blocking scheme, and executed a perfect snap to Garrett Greene.

I think its speaks well of the culture and organization on the sidelines that we lost our starting center to a broken leg on the final drive, and we were able to substitute our backup center into the game without missing a beat, burning a timeout, or suffering a 10-second runoff...and then a perfect snap was executed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News