ADVERTISEMENT

Boy Scouts official apologizes for 'political rhetoric' of Trump speech

http://scoutingwire.org/chief-perspective-presidential-visit/

Michael Surbaugh

"I want to extend my sincere apologies to those in our Scouting family who were offended by the political rhetoric that was inserted into the jamboree. That was never our intent. The invitation for the sitting U.S. President to visit the National Jamboree is a long-standing tradition that has been extended to the leader of our nation that has had a Jamboree during his term since 1937. It is in no way an endorsement of any person, party or policies. For years, people have called upon us to take a position on political issues, and we have steadfastly remained non-partisan and refused to comment on political matters. We sincerely regret that politics were inserted into the Scouting program."

------------------------------

July 27, 2017
Scouting Family,

In the last two weeks, we have celebrated the best of Scouting at our 20th National Jamboree with nearly 40,000 participants, volunteers, staff and visitors. The 2017 National Jamboree has showcased and furthered the Scouting mission by combining adventure and leadership development to give youth life-changing experiences. Scouts from Alaska met Scouts from Alabama; Scouts from New Mexico met those from New York, and American youth met youth from 59 other countries.

Over the course of ten days, Scouts have taken part in adventures, learned new skills, made new and lasting friendships and completed over 200 community service projects that offered 100,000 hours of service to the community by young men and women eager to do the right thing for the right reasons.

These character-building experiences have not diminished in recent days at the jamboree – Scouts have continued to trade patches, climb rock walls, and share stories about the day’s adventures. But for our Scouting family at home not able to see these real moments of Scouting, we know the past few days have been overshadowed by the remarks offered by the President of the United States.

I want to extend my sincere apologies to those in our Scouting family who were offended by the political rhetoric that was inserted into the jamboree. That was never our intent. The invitation for the sitting U.S. President to visit the National Jamboree is a long-standing tradition that has been extended to the leader of our nation that has had a Jamboree during his term since 1937. It is in no way an endorsement of any person, party or policies. For years, people have called upon us to take a position on political issues, and we have steadfastly remained non-partisan and refused to comment on political matters. We sincerely regret that politics were inserted into the Scouting program.

While we live in a challenging time in a country divided along political lines, the focus of Scouting remains the same today as every day.

Trustworthiness, loyalty, kindness and bravery are just a few of the admirable traits Scouts aspire to develop – in fact, they make up the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

As part of our program’s duty to country, we teach youth to become active citizens, to participate in their government, respect the variety of perspectives and to stand up for individual rights.

Few will argue the importance of teaching values and responsibility to our youth — not only right from wrong, but specific positive values such as fairness, courage, honor and respect for others.

For all of the adventure we provide youth such as hiking, camping and zip-lining, those activities actually serve as proven pathways and opportunities to develop leadership skills and become people of character.

In a time when differences seem to separate our country, we hope the true spirit of Scouting will empower our next generation of leaders to bring people together to do good in the world.

Yours in Scouting,

Mike

Last edited:
Trump with his Eagle Scouts...
920x920.jpg

If he had won the popular vote I would agree with you.

Come on, he did win the popular vote because when you take out those 2-3 million illegal voters who voted for Hillary he did win it.........haven't you been keeping up with this? [laughing]

Reactions: moe
Have you actually read what he said to a bunch of 12 yr old kids trying to get merit badges in archery and fishing? Health care bill?
He has no clue

Nope, doesn't concern me. All I saw was his entrance to chants of "USA". Get off your duff and do something useful rather than obsessing about your president of the next 7.5 years.

Reactions: WVU82
The young.... so impressionable.

Is anyone honestly surprised gave the speech he did? I'm surprised he didn't end it with, "Now where's my fuc#ing merit badge... I have the best merit badges."

"We sincerely regret that politics were inserted into the Scouting program."

Surbaugh's apology was a prudent move for BSA. Dumb shit's speech was a disaster.

Virtue-signaling-prize.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks that talking about making tons of money and having the "yacht life" at a boyscouts gathering embodies the sentiment that the scouts stand for is sadly warped. There are many things in life that should be placed above personal success. The sacrifices made by millions of young American soldiers, for one. The scouts main goal is to teach developing young men that we should commit to something higher than ourselves. For Trump to talk about his personal achievements, glorify money and personal success, and even mention loyalty to HIM and not country.....he was creating a current that flows against the important sentiment that jamboree is intended to create.

Whether this was strategic and deliberate, or simply a byproduct of Trump's ego overshadowing his vision, appreciation, logic, and judgement I'm not sure. But I am sure that he did a disservice to the scouts, the boys, the parents of those boys, and the nation.

Anyone who thinks that talking about making tons of money and having the "yacht life" at a boyscouts gathering embodies the sentiment that the scouts stand for is sadly warped. There are many things in life that should be placed above personal success. The sacrifices made by millions of young American soldiers, for one. The scouts main goal is to teach developing young men that we should commit to something higher than ourselves. For Trump to talk about his personal achievements, glorify money and personal success, and even mention loyalty to HIM and not country.....he was creating a current that flows against the important sentiment that jamboree is intended to create.

Whether this was strategic and deliberate, or simply a byproduct of Trump's ego overshadowing his vision, appreciation, logic, and judgement I'm not sure. But I am sure that he did a disservice to the scouts, the boys, the parents of those boys, and the nation.

At least he didn't talk about the size of his..........hands............[winking]......

Reactions: Boomboom521
The scouts main goal is to teach developing young men that we should commit to something higher than ourselves.

Mission Statement
pag_16.jpg
The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law
A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Vision Statement
The Boy Scouts of America will prepare every eligible youth in America to become a responsible, participating citizen and leader who is guided by the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

Mission Statement
pag_16.jpg
The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law
A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Vision Statement
The Boy Scouts of America will prepare every eligible youth in America to become a responsible, participating citizen and leader who is guided by the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
It's so great that you know how to copy and paste. I think that's great. Now let's try to use your computer to look up and read information that helps you have an opinion that isn't spoon fed to you. Ok? Do you feel up to that today, big boy? Whose a big boy?

It's so great that you know how to copy and paste. I think that's great. Now let's try to use your computer to look up and read information that helps you have an opinion that isn't spoon fed to you. Ok? Do you feel up to that today, big boy? Whose a big boy?

You must be mistaking me for someone who cares what you think.

I offer my opinion here quite a bit. But when you're wrong, I'll make sure to point that out.

Unless you're taking the clause of "duty to God and country" and saying that's the something higher, you're wrong. I doubt if you intend God and country. That's not you.
Actually many of actions through the course of a day are motivated by my commitment to my God and my Country, thank you. That post just shows your self righteousness. But more specifically, any time one puts on a uniform--- that's a good sign that your focus should be on the collective good, rather than your own achievement. No one seeks to destroy individuality and personal success. Despite what you think, I am not a communist. But the ego, winning at all costs, Johnny badass, mostest/ bestest, alpha dog mentality is prominent enough in our society. Trump could have shelved the ego laden tirade for a speech in front of the scouts. He should have spoke to duty ---- gee, I think that word was probably in the copy and paste post you made.

Actually many of actions through the course of a day are motivated by my commitment to my God and my Country, thank you. That post just shows your self righteousness.

No, wow, I'm shocked actually. That really needs a lot of dissecting that I don't want to do not face to face. Not self righteous, but you are not who I thought you were based on your posts.

But more specifically, any time one puts on a uniform--- that's a good sign that your focus should be on the collective good, rather than your own achievement. No one seeks to destroy individuality and personal success. Despite what you think, I am not a communist. But the ego, winning at all costs, Johnny badass, mostest/ bestest, alpha dog mentality is prominent enough in our society. Trump could have shelved the ego laden tirade for a speech in front of the scouts. He should have spoke to duty ---- gee, I think that word was probably in the copy and paste post you made.

I couldn't agree more. Now if it's frames as such, rather than, "Trump sucks and needs impeached because he trumped up Trump at a BSA rally!" I can dig it. But libs are flailing at anything and everything, and it's fun to pick apart nowadays.

And yes Original, you are now a lib. You claim not to be, but your posts here prove otherwise. You're just as obsessed as the alt-left is.

But libs are flailing at anything and everything, and it's fun to pick apart nowadays.
Yes it is. It's actually been quite a time passer these last 8 months. To a liberal on this board, they've all behaved exactly like the obsessive right did during the Obama years. Doesn't matter how slight or severe, it was all angst all the time, just as it is now.

Yes it is. It's actually been quite a time passer these last 8 months. To a liberal on this board, they've all behaved exactly like the obsessive right did during the Obama years. Doesn't matter how slight or severe, it was all angst all the time, just as it is now.
Really though? If you think Russia is a scam....I understand thinking focusing on that is ridiculous. But his tweets? The travel ban? Mooch? Even if you take his general actions and statements out of the mix, there is plenty there to be legitimately concerned about as an engaged American. It's not all motivated by sour grapes

Really though? If you think Russia is a scam....I understand thinking focusing on that is ridiculous. But his tweets? The travel ban? Mooch? Even if you take his general actions and statements out of the mix, there is plenty there to be legitimately concerned about as an engaged American. It's not all motivated by sour grapes
As if they ever had to overlook Obama saying he liked to grab pussies, mocked the disabled, called McCain a loser, denigrated a Gold Star family and then we just told them to get over it. Hard to understand folks who overlooked all that and still voted for him.

Reactions: Boomboom521

His tweets are ridiculous, but meaningless. That's the low hanging fruit, basically out there for anyone that wants to feel outraged to be outraged.

The travel ban? I support, 100%. I don't even understand the push back on this to be honest, you all look like morons.

Immigration initiatives? Battle with sanctuary cities? I'm 100% with Trump and I'm saying that as someone who has an illegal from Mexico doing my landscaping and an illegal from Peru performing maid services.

Mooch? I'm guessing Scaramucci? Doesn't move the needle. This is a prime example of the left's ability to be outraged at anything.

Russia? Clearly there isn't anything there if they've moved on to financials. They are fishing now. The left doesn't care what it's for, they just want him to go down and it's really fun when you can get a liberal to admit it. As soon as they do, it lets you know exactly their concern with Russian collusion, they have none. They have concern with Trump in the WhiteHouse.

His tweets are ridiculous, but meaningless. That's the low hanging fruit, basically out there for anyone that wants to feel outraged to be outraged.

The travel ban? I support, 100%. I don't even understand the push back on this to be honest, you all look like morons.

Immigration initiatives? Battle with sanctuary cities? I'm 100% with Trump and I'm saying that as someone who has an illegal from Mexico doing my landscaping and an illegal from Peru performing maid services.

Mooch? I'm guessing Scaramucci? Doesn't move the needle. This is a prime example of the left's ability to be outraged at anything.

Russia? Clearly there isn't anything there if they've moved on to financials. They are fishing now. The left doesn't care what it's for, they just want him to go down and it's really fun when you can get a liberal to admit it. As soon as they do, it lets you know exactly their concern with Russian collusion, they have none. They have concern with Trump in the WhiteHouse.
Spoken like someone who truly knows everything. I don't know why I even try to learn and read....now on, with this access to the absolute source of right.....I'm just going to follow your posts, and consider myself tapped into what right for me.

I'm not for the ban. I'm for whatever vetting measures a President chooses to implement. I'm not for an official policy of exclusion for refugees or those seeking freedom from any nation.

"Low hanging fruit"? Please. A President's statements should always be taken seriously. To treat his statements as equal to other tweeters in weight, that's just fvcking ridiculous.

This Mooch guy is a fvcking joke. I think this was a horrible hire, and likely the move that destroys his ability to operate effectively on the hill. But hey, he's an alpha right?

Immigration reform? Sanctuary cities? I'm not against measures being in place to prevent the problems that have arisen. But I like the idea that Athe US provides a pathway to improvement for many in South and Central America.

See it as so or not. The man is not a great leader, he is not great at political football, and he is not the champion so many think he is.....if he continues to be the flag bearer for the GOP, the blowback will be bigger than what happened in the wake of Obama. Unless the economy performs at rates double his proclaimations.

Spoken like someone who truly knows everything. I don't know why I even try to learn and read....now on, with this access to the absolute source of right.....I'm just going to follow your posts, and consider myself tapped into what right for me.

I'm not for the ban. I'm for whatever vetting measures a President chooses to implement. I'm not for an official policy of exclusion for refugees or those seeking freedom from any nation.

"Low hanging fruit"? Please. A President's statements should always be taken seriously. To treat his statements as equal to other tweeters in weight, that's just fvcking ridiculous.

This Mooch guy is a fvcking joke. I think this was a horrible hire, and likely the move that destroys his ability to operate effectively on the hill. But hey, he's an alpha right?

Immigration reform? Sanctuary cities? I'm not against measures being in place to prevent the problems that have arisen. But I like the idea that Athe US provides a pathway to improvement for many in South and Central America.

See it as so or not. The man is not a great leader, he is not great at political football, and he is not the champion so many think he is.....if he continues to be the flag bearer for the GOP, the blowback will be bigger than what happened in the wake of Obama. Unless the economy performs at rates double his proclaimations.
You really have a problem with Alpha personalities. I find it comical.

I personally think we put American needs and American interests first and foremost and then if we have the means to assist elsewhere we do, but never at the expense of American needs, ideals, culture, history, prosperity, sovereignty, etc. I believe in that throughout the world.

Reactions: TarHeelEer

I personally think we put American needs and American interests first and foremost and then if we have the means to assist elsewhere we do, but never at the expense of American needs, ideals, culture, history, prosperity, sovereignty, etc. I believe in that throughout the world.

It's amazing to me that the left continually harps on "you can't legislate morality", yet they legislate their's every time they're in power.

We have different ideas about what America stands for I imagine. I also imagine we have more that overlaps in our definition of American values than stand in contrast.

Most "alphas" I've met, are basically fake loudmouths.....that shrink like bitches when it's time to step to the line. Lately, I've met many women that have larger "balls" than many "alpha" types I've known. And I think strength is sometimes exhibited in silence and support of others and leadership is sometimes exhibited in humility. But to many being an "alpha" means you ALWAYS wear the mask. Makes me nauseous.

I have taken great pleasure in busting "alphas" in the mouth, and watching them fade into nothing over the years. Even taken pleasure in the beat downs I've received when meeting the real thing too.

We have different ideas about what America stands for I imagine. I also imagine we have more that overlaps in our definition of American values than stand in contrast.

Most "alphas" I've met, are basically fake loudmouths.....that shrink like bitches when it's time to step to the line. Lately, I've met many women that have larger "balls" than many "alpha" types I've known. And I think strength is sometimes exhibited in silence and support of others and leadership is sometimes exhibited in humility. But to many being an "alpha" means you ALWAYS wear the mask. Makes me nauseous.

I have taken great pleasure in busting "alphas" in the mouth, and watching them fade into nothing over the years. Even taken pleasure in the beat downs I've received when meeting the real thing too.
I don't consider loudmouths as an Alpha. I consider someone who is willing to stand up to adversity, willing to make a decision on imperfect information, and someone willing to take a leadership role amongst a group of leaders as an Alpha.

I don't consider loudmouths as an Alpha. I consider someone who is willing to stand up to adversity, willing to make a decision on imperfect information, and someone willing to take a leadership role amongst a group of leaders as an Alpha.
Especially amongst a group of leaders, the leadership role should be equal parts lead and listen.

Attitude reflects leadership........and both McConnell and Trump have had little "leadership" qualities to show people......crying and acting like a baby on Twitter doesn't count......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT