ADVERTISEMENT

Boy Have We Hit Bottom

dangerousdaneerfan

All-Conference
Aug 14, 2007
Sistersville, West Virginia
Growing up loving the Mountaineers from the fall of 69 onward, it was a thrill to win 8-9 games and go to a bowl. It was like we EARNED that spot. So many bowl games have cheapened the process. As someone once said "you are what your record says you are."

I think there are 44 bowls... meaning 88 of 130 FBS teams go to bowl games.
I don't think this is about 'participation trophies', though. Bowl games are just a commodity for ESPN. The more bowls, the more ad time to sell.

I remember 1985 when WVU went 7-3-1 and wasn't deemed good enough to make a bowl game that year.
Bowls used to be special.

That said, always better to get a bowl game than not. So I will take it.

I do think it should be a minimum of 7 wins to be eligible for a bowl. All teams play a gimme game. LIU in our case.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Just the fact that we might end up in a bowl called the "Guaranteed Rate Bowl" speaks volumes. Bowl season just aint the same as it used to be. Teams should have to have a winning record to even be considered. Dont get me wrong, I'll be watching our game and rooting for a win, but we really didnt earn a bowl, imo.

Jerry Palm thinks we get Maryland rematch or Penn State. I am eager to play Penn State, but don't see us scoring more than 10 points against their D.
I'm hearing WVU-Penn State as well, but not from Jerry Palm. B1G wouldn't send Maryland to a rematch, and having an old Eastern rivalry game would at least bring in a lot more viewers, and a helluva lot more fans in the stadium.

Reactions: 1duluth1
As someone who lived in State College most of my adult life, I would LOVE to play PSU in a bowl, although sadly I think they would handle us this year.

I'm hearing WVU-Penn State as well, but not from Jerry Palm. B1G wouldn't send Maryland to a rematch, and having an old Eastern rivalry game would at least bring in a lot more viewers, and a helluva lot more fans in the stadium.
Would stand a better chance against Maryland than PSU even though we lost to Maryland already.

Reactions: 1duluth1 and Euell
Making a bowl's best gift: Extra practice time to get ready for next season, particularly with the younger players. I'll watch even if my alma mater is playing in the Toilet Bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUALLEN
Maryland rematch doesn't make sense. But Penn State or Purdue is pretty damn good bowl for WVU. Particularly if we win it. Great catapault to 2022 season which, hopefully will be better than 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Im sure the bowl wont be anything major, but the University could use the extra money, more importantly this young & inexperienced roster could use the extra practices & live reps.

I just hope we get a decent opponent that helps us in recruiting and we win to end the season on a high note..

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Im sure the bowl wont be anything major, but the University could use the extra money, more importantly this young & inexperienced roster could use the extra practices & live reps.

I just hope we get a decent opponent that helps us in recruiting and we win to end the season on a high note..

I AGREE.

I think Penn State would whip WVU in a bowl. Also, I think it would be a lot more interesting to play Penn State if they weren't on the schedule for the foreseeable future. WVU and PSU play in 2023 and 2024. Both those games will be a lot more meaningful than if they're play this year in the Whatever Bowl.

Good WVU has a bowl.

Can't feel very secure with beating many if any potential bowl opponents at this point since the game against 2-9 Kansas was so tight.

Penn State (7-5 with a 31-14 win over common opponent Maryland) and Purdue (8-4) are probably very tough matchups. Missouri might be a more competitive contest, they are also 6-6.

Again, it could be Little Sisters of the Poor and I'll be watching and cheering because it's most alma mater. The opponent is irrelevant to me. Although I admit beating Alabama would feel good.

I would be happy to play any team we could beat. I would love a rematch with Maryland.
how about a state championship bowl game vs. Glenville? then we could drop out of the Big 12 and schedule patriot league teams and win them all!! no sense to strive and stretch.🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Good WVU has a bowl.

Can't feel very secure with beating many if any potential bowl opponents at this point since the game against 2-9 Kansas was so tight.

Penn State (7-5 with a 31-14 win over common opponent Maryland) and Purdue (8-4) are probably very tough matchups. Missouri might be a more competitive contest, they are also 6-6.
Dumb as a brick. Go back and post as Rootmaster. At least she is more colorful.

Obviously trollAllen posts as multiple posters.

I don't have that time to waste, just like I don't have time to pretend a sub par job performance by a coach is anything but that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT