ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Huggins

older gold

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Count me among those who are tired of the Huggs bashing every time we lose.

I don't know what the expectations should be, but we have been a regular fixture at the Sweet Sixteen. Last year, we had a horrible season. Huggs blew up the roster and brought in essentially a new team. That took enormous effort and commitment.

This team has had good success, particularly on the heels of last year's debacle. But it has some flaws and is a very young group with lots to learn.

Tonight, we gave one away to a marquee program. I've been watching WVU athletics for the better part of 45 years now and while a labor of love, its been a series of disappointments in both sports with some great moments mixed in. Argue all you want, but that is what our school is. We compete. We find a way. But we don't have a roster loaded with first round NBA and NFL talent. And we operate in a state that forces us to travel far and wide to find P5 talent. We are a good program but we rarely win championships. A tough pill for some to swallow.

Those who bash Huggs will never get it. Even more so than football, your ability to compete in basketball is directly related to the coach. People who come here initially don't
come here to play for West Virginia...they come here to play for Bob Huggins.

And one day, Bob will hang them up. His bashers will be thrilled. Then basketball season will start and you'll see what the next guy will do. We obviously don't have a WVU alumnus in the coaching business who is making any major waves. Your next coach will face a tall order to be able to maintain our basketball program at the same level.

No one wants a championship here more than Huggs. No one out there can operate our program better than him. If you don't believe that, then I recommend that you watch carefully after he leaves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News