ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Bob Huggins tries to walk back resignation from West Virginia

The more I read and hear about this, the more I think Huggins has a solid case. If he is still technically the WVU coach, all the 30-day portal crap is null and void.
Huggs may have been a fool to get himself into trouble, but the WVU administration is taking on the look of a clown show.

The more I read and hear about this, the more I think Huggins has a solid case. If he is still technically the WVU coach, all the 30-day portal crap is null and void.
Huggs may have been a fool to get himself into trouble, but the WVU administration is taking on the look of a clown show.
So WVU ends up firing him instead. Is this the road Huggins and his supporters really want to see? The guy could’ve gone out better than this.

This is a disaster on many levels. First for the university, it shows/proves that they have high levels of incompetence. Who takes a "resignation" from an email of the WIFE of the coach? Why was there no face-to-face meeting to confirm the resignation? Then you have Huggins side of this. Why did he wait until now? He sat back and watched for 3 weeks what was going on and said nothing. Then suddenly he claims he didn't resign? And lastly, the NCAA having to rule on the players who entered the portal. If a judge were to rule that Huggins resignation was not official, then those players cannot transfer by NCAA rules. What happens there?

The past 8 weeks has been a major bummer for WVU Basketball. Thank God we have baseball and Coach Mazey.....well, until the University f**ks that up eventually.

Reactions: smitty464
This is a disaster on many levels. First for the university, it shows/proves that they have high levels of incompetence. Who takes a "resignation" from an email of the WIFE of the coach? Why was there no face-to-face meeting to confirm the resignation? Then you have Huggins side of this. Why did he wait until now? He sat back and watched for 3 weeks what was going on and said nothing. Then suddenly he claims he didn't resign? And lastly, the NCAA having to rule on the players who entered the portal. If a judge were to rule that Huggins resignation was not official, then those players cannot transfer by NCAA rules. What happens there?

The past 8 weeks has been a major bummer for WVU Basketball. Thank God we have baseball and Coach Mazey.....well, until the University f**ks that up eventually.
In the end, WVU gives him his damn buyout and he leaves with a tarnished legacy. No matter who you are, this is bad for everyone involved on both sides. And trying to keep players from the portal and force them back leaves a very bad recruiting image for WVU. I’m more disappointed in Huggins.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Yeah, it’s mind boggling that anyone would blame Gee and Baker for any of this. If anything, this is showing a legendary coach who is clearly out of control and spiraling. I have no doubt he’s likely been a functioning alcoholic for decades, but it always catches up to you. I would rather see some tough love. That’s probably what he’s been lacking for years because of his stature. And we all loved him and still do. He needs help. All these people are doing is enabling his behavior by saying it’s no big deal.
This is just a product of the tribalistic nature of our current society. When my guy does it it's alright and it's no big deal. When the guy from another tribe does it its all of a sudden wrong. I'm sure the university consulted its legal team as well as some of the more influential boosters before this decision was made. The biggest crime here is those who enabled this behavior and allowed it to continue unchecked. As you pointed out its most likely been going on for years.

Look, from what information is out there at the present, Huggins doesn't have a keg to sit on.

His resignation is/was official. Regardless of who wrote the resignation letter, it was presented by Huggins. Meetings were held in which HE attended. His players were told by HIM. They went into the portal knowing it was official - from Huggins and the university. Huggins said nothing for nearly 3 weeks as far as believing he was still the coach at WVU. All the while the players he recruited entered the portal and signed with other schools. All the while, sitting back and allowing WVU to go through a hiring search.

The university is free and clear in this. They still owe him what he is due for THIS year, so unless they are refusing to pay, refusing to pay in whole, refusing to pay on time, or something along those lines there is nothing to it.

As such, its hard to see what Huggins' angle is here. Is this a legitimate ploy to try to get his job back? Is this a ploy to get a chance to be rehired next year? Is this a ploy to get the university to cough up more money? Until we see the details of his suit and the codes behind it it is all speculation at this point.

Yeah, just pretend none of it happened. You sound like someone who would like everyone to forget what a f'ing idiot you are, too.

Right dumbass because pretending that the guy isnt the face of the program with a loaded team on deck so we can be stuck with some interim no name and a depleted roster is so much ****ing wiser. This isn’t the local CYO league, it’s the Big 12, grow a set and do what it takes to win, not tank your program for years to come while lighting the legacy of the most successful 16 year run in program history on fire.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
I forgot to add that it really doesn't matter whether he did or didn't send the message in writing, certified mail, etc. According to WV code, any person who doesn't show up for work for 3 days, without giving notice, is therefore considered to have resigned so unless there is something there then he was considered "resigned" anyway.

A "traffic violation?" You make it sound like he was driving with a tail light out.
Is he going to jail for a sustained period of time or something? Is it a felony? He will go to court, pay money, lose his license for a little… traffic violation is accurate.

Yeah, no one cares. That’s why both incidents were talked about and covered by multiple national news outlets, both sports and non sports.
Oh boo hoo, it’s the off-season, they also cover everytime some no name NFLer takes a shit as well.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
This is on Bob.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society (WVU) is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

Ronald Reagan

This is not a defense of WVU. They are likely guilty of their own inaction/indecision/incompetence.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
This is on Bob.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society (WVU) is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

Ronald Reagan

This is not a defense of WVU. They are likely guilty of their own inaction/indecision/incompetence.
Let's look at it on the other side for a second. If an attorney came to you, and told you that if you do this and this and that, then you could potentially get a settlement for millions.......would you do it or say "nah, that's not the right thing to do"??????

I agree, this is all on Huggins.......but I don't think anyone on here would deny themselves a possibility to making millions, even if it is a result of your own wrong doing.
200.gif

Reactions: Dinglenutts
Let's look at it on the other side for a second. If an attorney came to you, and told you that if you do this and this and that, then you could potentially get a settlement for millions.......would you do it or say "nah, that's not the right thing to do"??????

I agree, this is all on Huggins.......but I don't think anyone on here would deny themselves a possibility to making millions, even if it is a result of your own wrong doing.
200.gif

I don't drink and drive.

An attorney coming to me is hypothetical so I can't give an exact answer, only a possibility.

Greed is very possible a contribution to this situation. I'm leaning on very poor decision making

Reactions: Euell
They can't now. That could be seen as retaliatory and give Huggins legal grounds. By treating Huggins with kid gloves over the DUI, not just coming out and firing him, is actually what could hurt WVU in the long run. Huggins will use WVU's "kindness" against them.

Don't disagree with the rest of your statement. WVU hasn't improved educationally since he's been here and that, not running (or ruining) the athletic department, is what his job is actually about.
They should have had the balls to fire him in first place and not email a resignation letter. Huggins is now nothing more than an ass and will lose the respect he had from majority of the state. He will end up burning down the university and himself. He should be ashamed.

In the end, WVU gives him his damn buyout and he leaves with a tarnished legacy. No matter who you are, this is bad for everyone involved on both sides. And trying to keep players from the portal and force them back leaves a very bad recruiting image for WVU. I’m more disappointed in Huggins.
Sad thing is, he doesn't even need the buyout. He's like a little kid on the playground that's mad because someone got the better of him and he wants his ball and go home.

I will not support Huggins in anything now.

Sad thing is, he doesn't even need the buyout. He's like a little kid on the playground that's mad because someone got the better of him and he wants his ball and go home.

I will not support Huggins in anything now.
Again, just like his daughter, he’s in denial. That alone tells me WVU made the correct decision. He’s out of control, “How dare WVU hold me accountable!” Embarrassing

Right dumbass because pretending that the guy isnt the face of the program with a loaded team on deck so we can be stuck with some interim no name and a depleted roster is so much ****ing wiser. This isn’t the local CYO league, it’s the Big 12, grow a set and do what it takes to win, not tank your program for years to come while lighting the legacy of the most successful 16 year run in program history on fire.
The fat, drunk and stupid guy lit it on fire. And you want to keep handing him lighter fluid

It's not about what's "wiser." It's about doing the right thing and having a shred of integrity, something you clearly do not. POS.

The fat, drunk and stupid guy lit it on fire. And you want to keep handing him lighter fluid

It's not about what's "wiser." It's about doing the right thing and having a shred of integrity, something you clearly do not. POS.
Lol integrity… it’s a sport where teams will fly a kid out to play on the road 24 hours after being present at a murder scene. You think we have a chance when we will self inflict our own wounds? Teams with integrity go 10-24 (4-14).

Lol integrity… it’s a sport where teams will fly a kid out to play on the road 24 hours after being present at a murder scene. You think we have a chance when we will self inflict our own wounds? Teams with integrity go 10-24 (4-14).
So because the system is broken, it’s ok? Good grief lol

They should have had the balls to fire him in first place and not email a resignation letter. Huggins is now nothing more than an ass and will lose the respect he had from majority of the state. He will end up burning down the university and himself. He should be ashamed.
Yes, that's what they should have done. But, to be fair, if this was just some employee at WVU that's what would have happened. Huggins isn't "just some employee" and WVU has to deal with perception because in the education field your perception IS your reality. They couldn't afford to have bad PR on this yet they still got it anyway.

Nobody asked you to change the world. You’re arguing against the law and/or rules. So if you just live in it, then why are you arguing against accountability?
It’s against the law to have a basketball coach who got a dui? Man WVU must have really slipped one past the goalie when they brought him in back in 2007. Do we have to give back the Final Four banner?

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Hell fire “Gee”, hire Huggins to run the university!! This situation couldn’t get any stranger.

A washed up drunken old fool face.

Reactions: Euell
Yes, that's what they should have done. But, to be fair, if this was just some employee at WVU that's what would have happened. Huggins isn't "just some employee" and WVU has to deal with perception because in the education field your perception IS your reality. They couldn't afford to have bad PR on this yet they still got it anyway.
The mans an alcoholic. Just got his 2nd known DUI, who knows how many he's really had. This past DUI was a month after being and idiot on live radio in another state. Firing a drunk after he's been told to stay clean and clear of trouble yet does it one month later is not bad PR.

Didn't Huggins meet in person with his team and his assistant coaches telling them he will be resigning and retiring. Huggins has no case or leg to stand on. If his drunken ass could even stand.

Huggins has been a disgrace to WVU for years now. Obviously still not sober either but trying to burn down WVU with himself. Sad.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Huggins has been a disgrace to WVU for years now. Obviously still not sober either but trying to burn down WVU with himself. Sad.
First part of your statement is bullshit. Second sentence pretty much describes it 100%.

Damn, 2 weeks of rehab and this fat lifetime drunken slob is cured? He put as much effort in this rehab as his last 5 underachieving teams I guess.

Reactions: Rootmaster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT