ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Bob Huggins post TCU comments

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
"I thought if we had finished plays we'd be up about 12-2 to start the game. We didn't finish plays, we missed one footers, we missed tip-ins. They were told the whole preparation if they triple to your side your guy is going to back cut and it never sank in. We came out of a huddle and we switch from man-to-man to 2-3 zone and one of our veteran guys said who am I guarding?

Frankly we've just got guys that aren't worried about the right thing. And I just told them in there the West Virginia on the front means way, way more to me than their name on the back. We'll get it fixed, it may not be this year but we'll get it fixed I promise you.

On Beetle Bolden: Everybody strives for consistency but there is a small group that seems to get away with not being consistent. I don't know, how do you really tell if a guy bumps into you or you bump into him? How do you really know that? He's been in foul trouble for the last three, four games and we haven't been able to play him. I tried to play him a little bit more in the first half with two fouls. We need him on the floor.

But you know what we don't need a veteran guy that they have a breakout and our guy comes down and blocks the shot and their guy ran right by our next guy in line to get down the floor and caught in and dunked it in. And now you're the guy that made a great effort play and you turn around and look and there's your teammate jogging down the floor. That's not teamwork, at all. That's something we haven't had. We haven't had that stuff happen, we've played hard. We got a lot of guys with a lot of answers that don't even know the problems. We got too many guys that think they're smarter than what they are, we've got way too many guys that think they're better than what they are. And that's O.K., we've had teams that weren't very talented but you know what they tried? One of my favorite guys of all-time is Cam Thoroughman because he was a 6-foot-5 center in the Big East that did everything you asked him to do. He played hard and played physical and wanted to win in the worst way. I'll take those guys, I'd rather have those guys.

That's West Virginia they appreciate that, they appreciate hard work because that's what it is. It's a state of hard work. Quite frankly you ask me I'm embarrassed. I don't know what to do. It's not like we haven't given everybody a chance. I don't know what to do. I tell a guy today we're going to clear the side for you so you can drive it. He said can I drive it left and I said no you can't dribble left. Drive it right or don't drive it at all and he drove it left. I just haven't had that happen and it won't happen again because I'm never, ever, ever giving him the ball like that again. That's it. I think I know a little bit about what I'm doing and that's defiance. If they think they're stronger minded than I am, if they think they're tougher than I am then they've got a long, long way to go. I'll fix it, I hope I can fix it this year - we've had times where we've played pretty well but tonight was embarrassing.

It's not they can't, they won't. It's too much work we've got a bunch of guys that won't work. You try to bring them along and that was a mistake. We should have just done it and done it and done it and if they didn't like it leave. We kind of, as much as I hate to say it and as much as it irritates me, we kind of gave in a little bit. It takes a while, you bring freshmen in and they're used to being the biggest and the best and they get away with a lot because they're so much better than everybody else and it takes a while and I understand that. That's not our problem, our problem was our guys that are supposed to be the ones that they look to - I just don't think their (freshmen) are ready.

I feel for the guy. Hope his health holds up from this disaster of a season.

This is a verbatim from a few years back. I will give him credit he did fix it then, and I bet he will fix it this time too, but....he is compensated at a level it shouldn't get so broke, so bad, so often.

I'm not impressed when you fix something after you broke it...just don't break it.

Reactions: PittPoker
His team isn't listening to him. Time for Huggins to retire I'm afraid.

Thanks for your, genuine i’m sure, concern about Huggins, but it is not necessary.

He was in the Sweet 16 last season, but yeah over react and call him done with a bad year. 5-6 years ago or so we had similar issues and he fixed it. If he says he will fix it, he will.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Darthvadeer your spot on. We pay him way too much to be this bad and inconsistent. He needs a major pay cut. Lyons got dooped bad here. Huggs has him by the balls because he has a guaranteed contract. Huggs went out and lazy recruited again. He won’t work for a recruit. He goes for guys that have no other good offers.

Thanks for your, genuine i’m sure, concern about Huggins, but it is not necessary.

He was in the Sweet 16 last season, but yeah over react and call him done with a bad year. 5-6 years ago or so we had similar issues and he fixed it. If he says he will fix it, he will.
He was in the Sweet 16 last year with a huge thanks to getting a terrible team in the second round.

The more this season plays out, the more an indictment it is on Huggins and more a testament to how much weight JC and Miles carried. I loved those guys, but they weren't lottery pics. Of course losing them would hurt the them, but not to the extent of being of one of the worst teams in the P5. Their absence revealing the inefficiencies in the program. It seems clearer every game that those two were the lipstick on the pig. It's the quintessential riding the coattails while failing/neglecting to develop players.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
He was in the Sweet 16 last year with a huge thanks to getting a terrible team in the second round.

Amazing you didn't make this same argument when you lumped Beilein in with coaches who have won a national title.....

I strongly dislike Beilein and Michigan, in no small part to the university's mishandling of tuition reimbursement that cost me an undue 6k when I attended one of its grad programs.

Buuuuut.....Beilein has been to two NC and is poised to make a run at another.
Though last year's road was unbelievably easy and I fully believe WVU would have made the Finals as well if it was lucky enough to get that slate of opponents.

F'n retard.

I feel for the guy and believe he will fix it. IIRC this past summer Huggs said something along the lines he stayed away from organized team activity, let the assistance do more. Something like the players get tired of hearing the same voice. I remember saying to myself “Who thinks this is a good idea?” Maybe with a veteran team, but not with all the new people and losing the guard leadership we lost . I am sure that is not all the cause, but has to contribute to it.

Maybe these guys were just as bad last year and while Jevon Carter was doing Jevon Carter things, nobody noticed. I've said before I've never seen a player take over a game on defense like he did. Maybe that masked a lot. Also Sags owning the rim.

Maybe these guys were just as bad last year and while Jevon Carter was doing Jevon Carter things, nobody noticed. I've said before I've never seen a player take over a game on defense like he did. Maybe that masked a lot. Also Sags owning the rim.
It also shows to some extent that you have to have a point guard who could start for at least half of the other teams in your conference. Jevon was, as you say, special, but this bunch would be better than they are right now with a point guard who was averaging 8-10 points a game and more assists than turnovers.

The more this season plays out, the more an indictment it is on Huggins and more a testament to how much weight JC and Miles carried. I loved those guys, but they weren't lottery pics. Of course losing them would hurt the them, but not to the extent of being of one of the worst teams in the P5. Their absence revealing the inefficiencies in the program. It seems clearer every game that those two were the lipstick on the pig. It's the quintessential riding the coattails while failing/neglecting to develop players.

True there was a terrible team in the round of 32, but we gave Villanova as much of a game as anyone during their cruise through the tournament. To think WVU couldn't have gone further if they hadn't drawn the best team in the tournament is selling them short. Without a doubt if they were in Chicago-Loyola or Michigan's bracket, an elite 8 or better is likely.

True there was a terrible team in the round of 32, but we gave Villanova as much of a game as anyone during their cruise through the tournament. To think WVU couldn't have gone further if they hadn't drawn the best team in the tournament is selling them short. Without a doubt if they were in Chicago-Loyola or Michigan's bracket, an elite 8 or better is likely.
I agree, and I 100% believe WVU would have made the finals if it got Michigan's road. Michigan was extremely lucky that every tough team was upset, but Beilein coached his team.

I was excited when Huggins came back because I thought it would result in blue chippers every year. That definitely hasn't happened during his tenure and I'm going to bury my hand in the sand and say the only problem is the players. The more I see this team without JC and Miles the I think Huggins has checked out or the game and this generation players have passed him by.

I agree, and I 100% believe WVU would have made the finals if it got Michigan's road. Michigan was extremely lucky that every tough team was upset, but Beilein coached his team.

I was excited when Huggins came back because I thought it would result in blue chippers every year. That definitely hasn't happened during his tenure and I'm going to bury my hand in the sand and say the only problem is the players. The more I see this team without JC and Miles the I think Huggins has checked out or the game and this generation players have passed him by.

Was Huggins success at Cincinatti based on blue chippers every year?

I think Huggs needs to make some wholesale assistant changes this off season. To many guy's just don't seem to understand the simple style Huggs uses and that in on his assistants.

I dont want Huggs to go anywhere. They should all be pretty aware the he's a blue collar defense-first, hard-nosed coach well before they step on campus. If they cant handle it, then they can go.

I figure we will see addition by subtraction next year like we did when Harris and Henderson left. I dont expect Knapper to be back. Harler, Esa, maybe Harris, anyone else? Who knows who else but I wouldnt be shocked to see some kids bolt this year.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT