ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Bob Huggins on the transfer portal

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
We probably didn’t do a very good job in the portal.

We have people watching it every day. Got people watching it every day and honestly I’m kind of the opinion that it’s not good for college basketball but I don’t think it’s good for your fans. You have a guy come in and he’s there for a little while then he’s gone and you don’t have the DeSean Butler’s, The Joe Alexander’s and the Kevin Jones’ and on and on and on. I don’t think years from now our fans are going to be talking about a guy who was here for a year unless he did something spectacular. I kind of favor the deal of having guys here. The other deal is academically for all that’s talked about with academics and this and that. I’d like to see the numbers of those guys that actually got academically what they set out to do. Because we heard about it forever.”

I would think that it would be easier now because there is so many handlers out there that you don’t recruit the kid anymore, really. I wouldn’t think. You guys know I don’t want to do that and I don’t really want to have one-year guys, certainly not very many one-year guys. But you’re not going to win with 13 freshmen.

I don’t know if it damages the game but I think it’s hard on fans. I really do. I think it’s hard on the fans. As kids you take those pictures and put them up on your wall and you hang them on your door. I remember growing up in Dug Hill and I’d go into my grandfathers and he put me a little hoop up and it was right in front of the coal bin which my mother didn’t like much because I’d be getting shots up at halftime and come back in there with coal dust all over me and my mom had to send me up to get another bath. Growing up that way I think kids miss out quite frankly. I think they do. Maybe you get attached to a guy and then he’s gone where he is? Where did he go?

That’s what’s happening isn’t it? I think. I don’t know. I’m not a good one to ask because I don’t fool around with it much. Didn’t I just see that guy last year at another place? We got in it, we had to get in it because of numbers and everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News