ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Behind Enemy Lines Early Look: James Madison

Shut down their run game and the game is over.
Better than if WV was playing a team who wanted to put playmakers in space early.

Just as long as WV doesn't turn the ball over or make huge mistakes they should win.
Actually think it benefits WV to play a team like JMU because WV doesn't have to worry about their secondary getting ripped to pieces.

Protecting the ball was an issue for the 2018 JMU offense, a unit that turned the ball over 24 times off 15 interceptions and nine fumbles. Only 19 of the 124 FCS programs finished the year with more turnovers.

“Turnovers will kill you,” Cignetti said. “Before you win a football game you need to make sure you don’t lose a football game, and the quickest way to lose a football game is to turn the ball over.”

One obstacle for Cignetti, looking ahead to the 2019 season, is the level of talent lost in the 2018 graduating class. Graduate student Cardon Johnson and seniors Trai Sharp and Marcus Marshall finished their careers with a combined 6,040 rushing yards, 738 receiving yards and 64 total touchdowns.

With the three out the door, the Dukes have just sophomore Percy Agyei-Obese, redshirt sophomores Jawon Hamilton and Eric Kirlew and freshman Solomon Vanhorse. Agyei-Obese leads the remaining backs with 66 rush attempts, 441 rushing yards and two touchdowns. The other three have a combined 17 attempts and 100 rushing yards.

While the Dukes are young at running back, they’ll return 20 of 22 starters from 2018.

With Cignetti at the helm, the right quarterback in place and a strong run scheme with depth at the position, the Dukes will have a shot to return to their 2016 form — winning games with a top offense in the FCS.

Since they return the OL I don't think losing production at RB is that important unless of course the RBs they have aren't as good.
One is a UCF transfer so I don't that is the case.

Don't know much about their running attack. Sounds like a lot of RPO.
Perfect for the 4-2-5

That defense can easily turn into the 4-4 and take everything outside of the tackles away.
Plus I think WV's DLine is being undervalued. They could easily control the LOS.

Think it will be close but WV wins 24-20 or maybe 21-17

They would be a much bigger threat if they came in trying to stretch WV vertically.
Don't think that is the case.

Last edited:
Since they return the OL I don't think losing production at RB is that important unless of course the RBs they have aren't as good.
One is a UCF transfer so I don't that is the case.

Don't know much about their running attack. Sounds like a lot of RPO.
Perfect for the 4-2-5

That defense can easily turn into the 4-4 and take everything outside of the tackles away.
Plus I think WV's DLine is being undervalued. They could easily control the LOS.

Think it will be close but WV wins 24-20 or maybe 21-17

They would be a much bigger threat if they came in trying to stretch WV vertically.
Don't think that is the case.

WVU is going to have to lean on the run game too, and I think we have the advantage there, and I agree with you about our defensive line, as I think we are more talented than people think, though still young. I worry about their QB getting a hot hand and our lack of safeties being an issue. I think our linebackers will be better as a unit this year, and I believe the Bama transfer will help lessen the blow of Long leaving early for the NFL.

Until I see QB/WR production I feel our passing game is the biggest question mark on the team. I think having more competition for QB will make the position better, but WR is slim in numbers and production which doesn’t give me confidence they will be the asset we have been accustomed to.

I think if someone steps up to be a leader at QB, we are looking at 6-8 wins, and I don’t mean a Grier or Geno sling it leader, but a game manager like a Trent Dilfer... even a Skyler Howard that won’t get you beat (unless he decides to keep it every time in a bowl game). A good manager will potentially make all the difference in the world this season.

If no one becomes the leader and we might be looking at 5 wins or less.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT