ADVERTISEMENT

Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy was among senior officials who did not tell the truth about what happened on Jan. 6, 2021

WVU82

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001

The secretary of the Army on Jan. 6, 2021, lied about multiple details regarding what unfolded as the U.S. Capitol was breached, National Guard whistleblowers said during a congressional hearing on April 17.

Then-Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy made multiple false claims, including that he spoke to the commanding general of the D.C. National Guard on two separate occasions after officials requested the Guard be deployed to the Capitol, the whistleblowers said.

After Maj. Gen. William Walker conveyed a request from the U.S. Capitol Police for Guard personnel, Mr. McCarthy called Maj. Gen. Walker at 2:14 p.m. and instructed the Guard to standby, according to a Guard timeline of Jan. 6. But that call and others that Mr. McCarthy or one of his top advisers were said to have made later authorizing the Guard for mobilization and deployment did not happen, according to the Guard officials.

“At no time did Gen. Walker take any calls, nor did we ever hear from the secretary on any of the ongoing conference calls or the secure video teleconferencing throughout the day,” Capt. Timothy Nick, who served as Maj. Gen. Walker’s personal assistant on Jan. 6, said during the hearing. “This I know because I was with the command general the entire time recording the events.”

Capt. Nick has not previously discussed publicly what transpired on Jan. 6, nor has Brig. Gen. Aaron Dean, who was the D.C. National Guard’s adjutant general on the day the Capitol was breached.

The Department of Defense inspector general (DOD IG) report on Jan. 6, which relied heavily on Mr. McCarthy and other military officials, was rife with “inaccuracies,” Brig. Gen. Dean said. “I believe it is my duty and moral obligation to stand before you today and illuminate the truth,” he told the hearing, which was held by the House Administration Committee’s Subcommittee on Oversight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT