• Yes, but it’s a result of shifting forces and multiple variables

• No. Free will is obvious and has countless ripples of effect

• No, it’s all a random mess

• Both - Forest Gump was spot on

• Why think about something that doesn’t grow my bank account

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just curious
i-voted-sticker.jpeg

I’ll never understand you all who don’t understand your purpose in life. I couldn’t imagine walking through life lost like that.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
i-voted-sticker.jpeg

I’ll never understand you all who don’t understand your purpose in life. I couldn’t imagine walking through life lost like that.
Awww...analysis and philosophical exploration of the complexities of existence have their place, in personal development, social interaction, education, scientific motivation, poltical ambition, and even business.

Personally, I finally feel content in my purpose, but it differs person to person, imo, and it doesn’t stop my analysis either.

The NY abortion thread prompted the desire to learn how many die hard lifers believe the development of abortion was a part of their Gods plan
Pretty sure man was told not to eat the apple, temptation, he did and that led to the downfall.

God having a plan, and you accepting your part and following it are two different things. We have a free will and must choose to align ourselves with God or suffer the consequences of not doing so.

Awww...analysis and philosophical exploration of the complexities of existence have their place, in personal development, social interaction, eduction, scientific motivation, poltical ambition, and even business.

Personally, I finally feel content in my purpose, but it differs person to person, imo, and it doesn’t stop my analysis either.
Did I say any of the first para wasn’t applicable? They’re tools to utilize in order to meet your objective. Grand design is irrelevant, unless you’re purpose is to prove or disprove it.

Reactions: Boomboom521
Pretty sure man was told not to eat the apple, temptation, he did and that led to the downfall.
God having a plan, and you accepting your part and following it are two different things. We have a free will and must choose to align ourselves with God or suffer the consequences of not doing so.
It just seems to me that the original design (the plan) at this point would be indistinguishable to the designer then, right? Thus the desire for end times? To clean the slate?

I just don’t understand how one reconciles the difference between a young death from an automobile accident versus a child molesting priest......the victims place in this grand design that is

Appreciate the contribution

I just don’t understand how one reconciles the difference between a young death from an automobile accident versus a child molesting priest......the victims place in this grand design that is

There's nothing to reconcile. The problem isn't that these things happen, the problem is what we ascribe as the reason they happen. Free will and the power of choice necessitates that some people will choose to do very bad things and or dumb things that get them injured or killed. To delve deeper into the subject of free will would take to much time today.

Reactions: Boomboom521
There's nothing to reconcile. The problem isn't that these things happen, the problem is what we ascribe as the reason they happen. Free will and the power of choice necessitates that some people will choose to do very bad things and or dumb things that get them injured or killed. To delve deeper into the subject of free will would take to much time today.
But as those dumb choices impact the lives of those that do not make the choice, it’s safe to say the design, in a general sense, has been altered......or you’d have to say that the dumb choice was also a part of the design.

The temptation that caused the dumb choice, and initiated the choice of free will, would also have to be a part of the design wouldn’t it? Otherwise we are talking about a world, a life, that we have complete control over, making choices that appear randomly without any influence from an intelligent deity?

Or else we are looking at a type of hybrid Forest Gump type of world, where an intelligent designer creates life, provides free will, creates events and influences lives, but allows “hands off” tragedies to occur as well. The motivation of influence in one life and not in another being unknown.

But as those dumb choices impact the lives of those that do not make the choice, it’s safe to say the design, in a general sense, has been altered......or you’d have to say that the dumb choice was also a part of the design.

The temptation that caused the dumb choice, and initiated the choice of free will, would also have to be a part of the design wouldn’t it? Otherwise we are talking about a world, a life, that we have complete control over, making choices that appear randomly without any influence from an intelligent deity?

Or else we are looking at a type of hybrid Forest Gump type of world, where an intelligent designer creates life, provides free will, creates events and influences lives, but allows “hands off” tragedies to occur as well. The motivation of influence in one life and not in another being unknown.

Your definition of design is to strict. We are not computer programs simply running our script without the ability to deviate. A better understanding would be that God has an ideal path laid out for us that maximizes benefits and minimizes bad outcomes. Our job is to choose whether or not we are going to follow it. The ultimate end though is this, temporal life is momentary for everyone, but eternal life is available for those who choose to accept it.

Your definition of design is to strict. We are not computer programs simply running our script without the ability to deviate. A better understanding would be that God has an ideal path laid out for us that maximizes benefits and minimizes bad outcomes. Our job is to choose whether or not we are going to follow it. The ultimate end though is this, temporal life is momentary for everyone, but eternal life is available for those who choose to accept it.
I see your point, but those paths that are laid out are altered by others choices. Where I can certainly see that the path of being a good and honorable father is a path in itself, and as that path changes based on the choices of my children.....the path stays the same even as my choices affect my life. However, as that path can certainly collide with other paths laid out for me as well, such as the path of a good and honorable husband or neighbor.....even as a dutiful servant of the lord. These collisions obviously call into question the righteousness of each path.

Maybe the path is more general that even that description?

For me, it’s more about rubber meets the road type of choices versus impact, rather than a theological position. Meaning: people either Believe God’s hand can alter influence in our lives, or he is hands off......those that actually believe choices are already made for us in the design are not very thoughtful in their analysis of life or religion, imo.

For me, it’s more about rubber meets the road type of choices versus impact, rather than a theological position. Meaning: people either Believe God’s hand can alter influence in our lives, or he is hands off......those that actually believe choices are already made for us in the design are not very thoughtful in their analysis of life or religion, imo.

The story of Jonah lays it out very well.

The story of Jonah lays it out very well.
I agree. And I’m sure I’m not as versed in the story of Jonah as you are....but as I see it Jonah is a story that illustrates that God influences opportunities and allows us to make choices of our own free will. Yet, what the story fails to illustrate, to me, is why Jonah’s power of choice is more powerful than others. Maybe because God had a larger plan for Jonah to be the savior of Nineveh? Why is Jonah factored into God’s grand design and others act as mere pawns? Or why does God send a whale to save Jonah, yet allows others to drown? Esp when Jonah questions his faith and place within the design so adamantly? As Jonah’s free will impacted the eternal lives of all those that sinned in Nineveh as well, their free will was minimized in this scripture to the point of having no real impact on the grand design. Why the unequal weighting? Why the blessing of free will rendered to one, but another’s life is simply a byproduct of another’s choices? Why does God provide the storm and the whale and the vine to one during their quest for faith and understanding, but allows others to continue their journey away from his righteousness?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT