ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone studied our schedule yet? Big12 must love us

MountainBill

All-American
May 29, 2001
NOT!!

Our Bye week game is AFTER the Kansas game 4 games into the season. Then the schedule is back loaded with most likely 4 of the 5 best teams in the league in a row. The two most likely top teams back to back AND both of those teams (Texas and Oklahoma) play Kansas the week before we play them. Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way but it appears the B12 gave us the shaft on this schedule.

Sat. Sept. 2 vs. Virginia Tech + TBA

Sat. Sept. 9 EAST CAROLINA TBA

Sat. Sept. 16 DELAWARE STATE TBA

Sat. Sept. 23 at Kansas * TBA

Sat. Oct. 7 at TCU * TBA

Sat. Oct. 14 TEXAS TECH *^ TBA

Sat. Oct. 21 at Baylor * TBA

Sat. Oct. 28 OKLAHOMA STATE *! TBA (They play AT Texas the week before they play us)

Sat. Nov. 4 IOWA STATE * TBA (Play TCU the week before us)

Sat. Nov. 11 at Kansas State * TBA (Play at Texas Tech)

Sat. Nov. 18 TEXAS * TBA (They play Kansas the week before they play us)

Sat. Nov. 25 at Oklahoma * TBA (They play Kansas the week before they play us)

Sat. Dec. 2 Big 12 Championship Game #

I agree, but the one advantage is that it will give our new QB some time to settle in (after VT) before he faces the better teams. I will say that a late October/early Nov bye would be nice though.

Reactions: torontoeers
As Steeleer says this works out well for Grier to get a great start outta the gates imo...a BIG game to start it off and then plenty of time to work out the kinks over the next 4 or 5. I like the setup as is....exception bye week in mid to late Oct would have been more ideal...

Look at it as a great opportunity to stick it to the Big 12 scheduler.

If WVU and Oklahoma are the top 2 teams, and it's obvious by Nov. 25 that, no matter who wins the Nov. 25 finale, that both teams will play again a week later for the conference title, then both teams can play patty-cake on Nov. 25 and then for real on Dec. 2. Fewer injuries for the real thing.

Another bonus: There will be NO snowstorm game in Mountaineer Field in December again in 2017.

The LAST Mountaineer Field game will be Nov. 18 against Texas. I guess that the wimps in the Big 12 don't want to face what Baylor did in Morgantown weather that late in the season.

Even the Nov. 5 Iowa State game might not be a freezeout game and even less likely to be a snowstorm game.

I get the feeling that WVU will be on the road late in the season every year so that the Big 12 teams don't have to leave warmer weather to freeze their behinds off in Mountaineer Field.

Based on the 2016 Big 12 standings, WVU will play:

#10 Kansas
#5 TCU
#6/#7/#8 Texas Tech
#6/#7/#8 Baylor
before
#2/#3 Oklahoma State
#9 Iowa State

Based on the 2016 rankings, WVU could be 5-1 or 6-0 (depending on the Cowboys outcome) since the Mountaineers will be dealing with the bottom half of the conference, based on 2016 rankings.

Then the Mountaineers head into:

#4 Kansas State
#6/#7/#8 Texas

before taking on the Big Boy:

#1 Oklahoma

It's a PERFECT setup for a new QB and all the other guys who have to fit in.

If WVU can get past Virginia Tech in the opener, which is not impossible, then WVU could be 8-1 or 9-0 which would assure a top 10 or 15 ranking. The scheduler would be out on the ledge waiting to jump if WVU and Oklahoma have to play twice in 8 days, which is exactly what the inverted schedule was designed to avoid.

I love it!

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T ony’s turbulence tore up Texas Tech, 48-17

A nother defense whipping, of TCU, 34-10

I gnominy of turnovers against Oklahoma State, 20-37

N o problem decimating Kansas, 48-21

E xcellent, timely defense AGAIN; beat Texas, 24-20

E rectile dysfunctioned against Oklahoma, 56-28

R ebounded big time on offense and defense at Iowa State, 49-19

S aved again by the defense against Baylor, 24-21

If this charade of a CCG is to go on, they need to make divisions, because this set up is dumb

Reactions: xgunnx
At least the bye week is between two league road games. I'd hate to have to do two road games in consecutive weeks. I don't mind the tougher games late in the season, it makes it more interesting, especially if you have something to play for by 11/1.

When you finish 3rd you tend to get the tough side of the schedule. Play the top teams at the end bumps you up the ladder if you win.

I like the backloaded schedules because it gives us a good chance to gel as a team and rise in the rankings before we hit the good teams.

It kinda sucks if you play the best teams at first and start off 0-2 or 1-2 and have to climb out of a hole.

NOT!!

Our Bye week game is AFTER the Kansas game 4 games into the season. Then the schedule is back loaded with most likely 4 of the 5 best teams in the league in a row. The two most likely top teams back to back AND both of those teams (Texas and Oklahoma) play Kansas the week before we play them. Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way but it appears the B12 gave us the shaft on this schedule.

Sat. Sept. 2 vs. Virginia Tech + TBA

Sat. Sept. 9 EAST CAROLINA TBA

Sat. Sept. 16 DELAWARE STATE TBA

Sat. Sept. 23 at Kansas * TBA

Sat. Oct. 7 at TCU * TBA

Sat. Oct. 14 TEXAS TECH *^ TBA

Sat. Oct. 21 at Baylor * TBA

Sat. Oct. 28 OKLAHOMA STATE *! TBA (They play AT Texas the week before they play us)

Sat. Nov. 4 IOWA STATE * TBA (Play TCU the week before us)

Sat. Nov. 11 at Kansas State * TBA (Play at Texas Tech)

Sat. Nov. 18 TEXAS * TBA (They play Kansas the week before they play us)

Sat. Nov. 25 at Oklahoma * TBA (They play Kansas the week before they play us)

Sat. Dec. 2 Big 12 Championship Game #

Must be ESPN's fault

Great opportunity for WVU to screw up the works by being tied with Oklahoma for 1st place when they meet, and then play again a week later for the conference championship. If WVU beats the Sooners twice, the College Football Pretzel committee will have to work overtime to keep the Mountaineers out and put Oklahoma in. Oh, wait, they did that to Penn State and put Ohio State in. Different rules for different schools. Nice.

We'll have to go 13-0 to get in. The only teams in our league that our allowed a Mulligan are Texas/Oklahoma. I think Texas could be a LOT better next year than people think. There were a lot of freshman and sophomores starting for them this year.

I agree, but the one advantage is that it will give our new QB some time to settle in (after VT) before he faces the better teams. I will say that a late October/early Nov bye would be nice though.

Due to the championship game being re-started, Bedlam had to be moved to earlier in the season. No more double byes for any team. No bye weeks after week 6 for any conference team.

Due to the championship game being re-started, Bedlam had to be moved to earlier in the season. No more double byes for any team. No bye weeks after week 6 for any conference team.
At least every team will be equally beat up by the end of the season and using the break before the bowls to get healthy.

Now, let’s blow through Miami like a hurricane!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT