ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone still think we win a championship with Dana?

eers1foru

All-Conference
Feb 6, 2012
Bottom half of the league five years in. Depth isn't an excuse anymore, all of the players are his, can't blame the defense anymore. SO who's fault is it now Danapoligists?

Reactions: bEER_Nation13
I think you are a baby bitch.
I think you're a full grown dumbass. It's the same thing every year under Dana. Only thing left to do is beat Baylor so you Dana lovers will have something to hang your hat on as you hold mediocrity as the standard. There is a new AD in town. Dana is toast. He is not improving and will not improve his entire tenure here. Glimmers of hope dashed with the stink of crappy results. My only question now is how dang bad does Maryland have to be that they made us look respectable???

I've been a Holgorsen supporter for four seasons and five games. Tonight, I hopped off the bandwagon. His demeanor on the sideline shows anything but the calm and control great college coaches portray. His play calling is nothing short of moronic. That diamond formation run for minus-seven on third-and-goal in OT is only one of the unforgettable and unforgivable calls from Holgorsen tonight. To answer the original poster, no. I no longer believe Dana Holgorsen can win a championship at WVU. He's a glorified offensive coordinator, and that's fine, but he cannot coach WVU to a championship. Time to cut our losses...in more ways than one...by firing Holgorsen at season's end and pursuing either someone with head coaching experience or a coordinator with a lot of major FBS experience (perhaps Kirby Smart). As for Holgorsen, it's over. There were a few good memories. Let's leave it at that.

Reactions: BackpageNews
See that's the problem. After 5 years of this crap, some of our own fans are now brainwashed in to thinking that we are not capable of anything better than 7-6. That's all it took, just 5 years. Now, these same ones were all up in changing head coaches when we were in the Big East. And Holgorsen proved he could coach in that league. But he can't coach in this one.

Only Oliver Luck thought Dana had a chance at a championship! Remember Stew was not the right guy to get us there! 9 win seasons were NOT getting us anywhere! Those 9 win seasons only got us Dana!

Reactions: bEER_Nation13
I've been a Holgorsen supporter for four seasons and five games. Tonight, I hopped off the bandwagon. His demeanor on the sideline shows anything but the calm and control great college coaches portray. His play calling is nothing short of moronic. That diamond formation run for minus-seven on third-and-goal in OT is only one of the unforgettable and unforgivable calls from Holgorsen tonight. To answer the original poster, no. I no longer believe Dana Holgorsen can win a championship at WVU. He's a glorified offensive coordinator, and that's fine, but he cannot coach WVU to a championship. Time to cut our losses...in more ways than one...by firing Holgorsen at season's end and pursuing either someone with head coaching experience or a coordinator with a lot of major FBS experience (perhaps Kirby Smart). As for Holgorsen, it's over. There were a few good memories. Let's leave it at that.

Kirby Smart would be a change in philosophies. From offensive to defensive minded. I don't see that happening. We will have Dana for at least 2 more years in my opinion. He is under contract until 2018, correct? No way we buy him out until it's too late.

Look at the bright side: We made history again tonight. This is the first time in 14 years WVU has started 0-2 in conference play.

So much for that dark-horse run at the Big 12 championship this year.

As I mentioned in another thread ...

Holgs still can't win a big one. He couldn't win a big game even if Vince Lombardi came back from the dead and personally handed him the blueprint.

It's obvious that he'll never be anything more than Mr. Mediocre. That means WVU will always be mediocre (5 to 7 wins) as long as he's here.

Offensive genius my a@@. He's just guy who is running the same offense as Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, Tech and Baylor and trying to do it with lesser and more undisciplined talent.

This team needs a coach who will bring an identity to the offense, not make us OU, TCU, Baylor or TT Lite.

One other thing we can continue to count on is the Dana Deterioration. His teams always get worse as the season progresses. Happens every year.

As I mentioned in another thread ...

Holgs still can't win a big one. He couldn't win a big game even if Vince Lombardi came back from the dead and personally handed him the blueprint.

It's obvious that he'll never be anything more than Mr. Mediocre. That means WVU will always be mediocre (5 to 7 wins) as long as he's here.

Offensive genius my a@@. He's just guy who is running the same offense as Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, Tech and Baylor and trying to do it with lesser and more undisciplined talent.

This team needs a coach who will bring an identity to the offense, not make us OU, TCU, Baylor or TT Lite.

One other thing we can continue to count on is the Dana Deterioration. His teams always get worse as the season progresses. Happens every year.

He's won big games. The Orange Bowl being the biggest. Texas in Austin, top ranked Baylor and Oklahoma State teams.

Bottom half of the league five years in. Depth isn't an excuse anymore, all of the players are his, can't blame the defense anymore. SO who's fault is it now Danapoligists?

The season isn't even half over yet. Dana is as good as Gundy IMO and he demonstrated that on the field today.

He's won big games. The Orange Bowl being the biggest. Texas in Austin, top ranked Baylor and Oklahoma State teams.
I'll give him full credit for being able to win the big games. He has proven that he can. What he hasn't proven is that he can go a full season without the patented Dana Dip! "Beat a top ten team? No problem!" "Beat three consecutive mediocre teams? Not in conference play!"

Holgs also is 21-22 since the start of the 2012 season. Those 21 wins also include Liberty, Georgia Southern, Towson, William & Mary, Georgia State, James Madison, Marshall, Kansas (twice) and Maryland (3 times). That leaves only 9 wins over legit teams in 3+ years, and that might be a stretch because I'm including Iowa State in the legit teams.

funny thing is...Dana has gotten a smidgen better at coaching....that tells you how bad he has been!!! Told you 3 years ago and I will tell you again today, Dana just isn't a quality Div 1 head coach!!!!

THIS is the best and most insightful quote of all. TCU has proven they have a coach who can lead them from a lesser conference to a greater conference and win. It only took him 2 years to do it. Dana has had twice that time and we are no more competitive than we were with Bill Stewart's players who at least could put up some points. I always gave Dana a little leeway because he needed to recruit a couple of years and needed a good defense but he has that and frankly, I think we are WORSE on offense now than with the players he inherited from Bill Stewart. Our line and RB is a draw but our QB is no where near Geno's talent level, our receivers at 2 steps below Tavon and Stedman.

Holgs also is 21-22 since the start of the 2012 season. Those 21 wins also include Liberty, Georgia Southern, Towson, William & Mary, Georgia State, James Madison, Marshall, Kansas (twice) and Maryland (3 times). That leaves only 9 wins over legit teams in 3+ years, and that might be a stretch because I'm including Iowa State in the legit teams.

THIS is the best and most insightful quote of all. TCU has proven they have a coach who can lead them from a lesser conference to a greater conference and win. It only took him 2 years to do it. Dana has had twice that time and we are no more competitive than we were with Bill Stewart's players who at least could put up some points. I always gave Dana a little leeway because he needed to recruit a couple of years and needed a good defense but he has that and frankly, I think we are WORSE on offense now than with the players he inherited from Bill Stewart. Our line and RB is a draw but our QB is no where near Geno's talent level, our receivers at 2 steps below Tavon and Stedman.
I believe he has recruited fairly well...the QB position excepted (at this current juncture)...it is the decision making that drives me absolutely apoplectic...especially in this one tonight!

We beat TCU two years ago and lost to them by a last second field goal in 2014.

I think our receivers are pretty good, Gibson got behind the defenders all the time last night but Howard could only throw that far once. Recruiting at QB has not been good enough to compete in this league. Howard is doing what he can and has great attitude and hustle, on occasion he throws some really good passes but he is inconsistent. Crest is being used as a WR/RB and the few times he takes snaps we can see he can't throw. That leaves Chugs and Sills whom we have NEVER seen play or practice but the coaching staff certainly has. I can only conclude that Howard is the best available. The defense was pretty good last night with only a couple of big plays and the kid who stepped into Joseph's shoes did a good job. Our lines are maybe above average by a little. But the discipline last night was a joke. 11 penalties. Holgerson deals with the penalties on the sidelines with absolutely no authority, he acts like he is about the same age as his players. This loss is on the whole team. I'm amazed that with all our turnovers, all the penalties, and the piss poor field position all night that this even got to OT but OK State is not a good team. It was frustrating, but it WAS entertaining. I predict there will be no championship under our current coach but he will be here at least until his contract is up.

Very frustrating watching WVU under Coach DH....same patterns in losses....poor game management, poor play calling.....etc....it just goes on and on. Agree with the observation about Coach Patterson a TCU....two seasons and they are playing for the Big 12 title. Four seasons with Coach DH....same script, but worse now...0-2 in the conference and counting for this season. I agree about the QB...think Howard was the Best we had coming out of camp and might remain so, no word on Sills or Chugs.....Tough to go through now four seasons of disappointment. Hope Baylor and TCU aren't laugher. Proud of the D overall...but what is up with Worley? I will continue to Hope for better things each game and I support the players. But the whole thing is getting Old.

Reactions: torontoeers
As Bob Wiley says 'baby steps'. The question should be will wvu ever compete for a big 12 title under DH. A NC is just a dream at this point.

Baby steps? We aren't even crawling yet. We are suspended in one of those baby bouncy seats. Every now and then our feet touch the floor and we think we are walking. Its closer to what Paula Abdul said "Take one step forward then two steps back"

I don't think we can win a championship with great players and coaches...some of the calls and no calls last night defy explanation. Can't win when the other team's only earned TD during regulation was due to 3 BS penalties...how many times were our receivers absolutely mugged down the field and no call made?

WE lost that game because time after time the defense gave Dana's offense the ball and they couldn't do anything with it. Throwing into double coverage and to receivers who were blanketed was not on the refs. Putting the ball on the ground at the first sign of contact is not on the refs. That's all on the offense. Do you know who claims to be in control of the offense? Who is the offensive "genius"? Who is the offensive coordinator? Who calls the plays? Who is responsible for getting these guys ready on offense? It dam sure isn't the refs.!

I'm not sure if you are meaning to or not, but you are making my point for me - so thanks. Coming into the league, TCU had the same struggles we did. We were even with them and we have better facilities and better fan base and more money. Still, they have turned the corner and are a top 10 team two years running. We aren't even in the top half of the league.

The last I checked, we get no credits in the current season for games played in previous seasons.

Here are some numbers to chew on: Dana is 2-9 ATS as a home favorite against a conference opponent and on a run of 0-6 as a home favorite of less than 10 points. Tells you that if the talent is equal, then pick the other team because Dana will find a way to lose.

spreadoption, try to look at the bright side: We are 5-10 in conference home games since joining the Big 12. After starting 3-3, that equates to 2-7 over the last 9 league contests in Morgantown.

I'm sure nobody else could've done better than 0-15, so just remember how lucky we are.

Let's look at the record:
WVU overcame a 15-point halftime deficit to force a top 20 team into overtime.
WVU intercepted THREE Oklahoma State passes.
WVU defense got a safety. And did a recent job, even without Karl Joseph, against a scoring machine in Oklahoma State.

But:
WVU turned the ball over at the worst times.
Skyler overthrew his receivers way too often.

However:
William Crest as a running back/passer with Skyler could be a force. Just like Ohio State used all 3 QBs in its last game.
Nick O'Toole's punting continues to be on the money.

But:
O'Toole had to punt EIGHT times. That's way too many.

WVU offense is the problem, and that's Dana's area of expertise. He keeps saying "it's on me." I agree with him.

I'm not ready for the lynching . . . yet . But it isn't as one-sided as some make out.

M ighty defense throttled Georgia Southern, 44-0

O utstanding defense obliterated Liberty, 41-17

U nilaterally decimated Maryland, 45-6, on defense and offense

N oxious offense & special teams against Oklahoma, 44-24

T oo many costly mistakes against Oklahoma State in OT, 33-26. Impressive comeback from 15-point deficit.

A mbush Baylor

I mmolate TCU

N ail Texas Tech

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E viscerate Kansas

R ip open a new one for Iowa State

S kewer Kansas State

A sane point of view..might be good to wait and see....but I don't like reading about a lack of RB depth.

We have enough of a sample size to call a spade a spade. Dana's teams are woefully unprepared on offense, the play calling is suspect at best, QB recruiting is laughable, game management is poor, and we never seem to get anything fixed so we can move forward. Dana has been here for five years the offense still can't score in the red zone, they turn the ball over way too much, QB play has been problematic his entire time here minus the one good year Geno had, Dana doesn't manage to improve his teams in any noticeable way once the season starts. If anything we regress! Dana simply isn't that good of a head coach.

Kansas State has won 1 Big12 championship they should fire Bill Snyder also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT