ADVERTISEMENT

Any book readers on this board?

BobbyBoucheer

All-American
May 29, 2014
Adak Island
I'm wanting some recommendations for some good reads in fiction across a spectrum of genres. I read a lot so any good reads would be appreciated.

I'm wanting some recommendations for some good reads in fiction across a spectrum of genres. I read a lot so any good reads would be appreciated.

I read a lot of books but not much fiction. I am reading a fiction book now though. Gone With The Wind. I'm surprised. It is really good. But it's very long and most people don't even like to read short books when they could just watch a movie instead. I've never seen the movie so maybe that is partly why I like the book, namely I don't already know what will happen. But that aside, the writing is just really good and the characters are developed in depth.

Also, while Gone With The Wind is fiction I think it would be classified as historical fiction because in addition to the main story there is a lot of info about the South during and after the Civil War.

I read a lot of books but not much fiction. I am reading a fiction book now though. Gone With The Wind. I'm surprised. It is really good. But it's very long and most people don't even like to read short books when they could just watch a movie instead. I've never seen the movie so maybe that is partly why I like the book, namely I don't already know what will happen. But that aside, the writing is just really good and the characters are developed in depth.

Also, while Gone With The Wind is fiction I think it would be classified as historical fiction because in addition to the main story there is a lot of info about the South during and after the Civil War.
Thx for the reply. I dont like to read books of movies I've seen because it taints the experience for me.
On the other hand, so many of my reads have become movies or series and its neat to see how close to the vest they stay with the book. I read Game of Thrones a decade ago and I can tell you they are following the book and its characters almost to the letter and with great casting. Ole George RR Martin has been a lazy ass about writing since the first three books and the series is practically at the end of his writing and whats sucks is they will probably write some bullshit into the series just to keep it going.

What do you like? I've read all of Robert B. Parker's "Spencer" novels -- hard-boiled private eye, and Jesse Stone -- small-town police chief played on TV by Tom Selleck … Most of John Steinbeck's works … All of Patrick O'Brien's Jack Aubrey books (remember Master and Commander?) … all of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales (great stuff about the attempted conquest of Britain by the Danes) and I'm working my way through the Sharpe's Rifles series … All of Tony Hillerman's Navajo reservation mysteries … All of John Sandford's Lucas Davenport (" ___ Prey") and Virgil Flowers novels. So you can see I'm very into mysteries and historical fiction -- and for that, Cornwell's books are the best because he includes a note at the end of every one relating what really happened and how he worked his fictional character into it.

What do you like? I've read all of Robert B. Parker's "Spencer" novels -- hard-boiled private eye, and Jesse Stone -- small-town police chief played on TV by Tom Selleck … Most of John Steinbeck's works … All of Patrick O'Brien's Jack Aubrey books (remember Master and Commander?) … all of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales (great stuff about the attempted conquest of Britain by the Danes) and I'm working my way through the Sharpe's Rifles series … All of Tony Hillerman's Navajo reservation mysteries … All of John Sandford's Lucas Davenport (" ___ Prey") and Virgil Flowers novels. So you can see I'm very into mysteries and historical fiction -- and for that, Cornwell's books are the best because he includes a note at the end of every one relating what really happened and how he worked his fictional character into it.
If you could have one series to read on an deserted island, what would that series be? Or would it be one stand alone book?

I read a lot of military action type books. I like books by Dalton Fury but you might want to skip his first couple book because his first book or perhaps 2 are autobiography of his time with Delta Force. Now he writes novels about special ops characters based loosely on ops he was familiar with in his time in the Army.

The series I am reading now are

Black Site
Tier One Wild
Full Assault Mode

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I always recommend James Jones WWII in the Pacific series, although "From Here to Eternity" is the least exciting to me of the books. The follow ons, "The Thin Red Line" and "Whistle" are excellent IMHO. I'm also a big Dennis Lehane fan. He's branched out some from mystery lately, and I haven't read any of those yet. I love "Mystic River", and read it before I saw the movie. The same for "Shutter Island". Both great reads, and both movies stay pretty true to the story.

If you could have one series to read on an deserted island, what would that series be? Or would it be one stand alone book?
Probably Parker's books -- There are 43 Spencer novels and 14 Jesse Stone novels so far. Parker died in 2010 but he left behind a number of outlines and his widow has contracted with other writers to carry on both series.

I am going to put a plug in for a "A Cold Morning in Maine". It is written by a guy who was my best friend in junior and senior high school growing up back in Morgantown many years ago. You can check it out on Amazon. It is his first book and I think it is very engaging and well done. He is the guy I often refer to as my very liberal friend who lives in Vermont. His father was also the person who married my wife and I.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT