ADVERTISEMENT

Any Big Bang Theory watchers here? Opinion on current show?

Op2

All-Conference
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2014
I first started repeats on TBS a few years ago and got hooked. They were really funny. I don't watch many new ones because I'm not in the habit but when I do I just don't laugh much. I think it has jumped the shark. IMO if it had been like this since the beginning it never would have become popular.

Re: It's going downhill, getting less funny all the time

It just renewed last summer for three more seasons -- two after this one -- but they have to be losing viewers. My wife and I watch it but we almost prefer the repeats from the first five seasons to the current episodes.

They've kinda gone the path of Friends

It was funny at first, but then became much less funny once everybody started dating each other.

Part of the issue this season, I think, is Howard's mom dying. The reason that's in the story line is because the actress that played her voice died.

Re: They've kinda gone the path of Friends

It's sad the actress died but couldn't they have just put a tribute up to her at the end of an episode and then got a new voice actress to replace her? The show is a comedy and having characters die isn't very funny.

You're right, it's becoming like Friends. The problem is that the characters aren't really suited to that. They're forgetting that the point of a comedy is to make people laugh. Seven main characters is a lot to feed, especially when the seven don't have a place to naturally gather together, like on Cheers or Wings.

Originally posted by Op2:
It's sad the actress died but couldn't they have just put a tribute up to her at the end of an episode and then got a new voice actress to replace her? The show is a comedy and having characters die isn't very funny.

You're right, it's becoming like Friends. The problem is that the characters aren't really suited to that. They're forgetting that the point of a comedy is to make people laugh. Seven main characters is a lot to feed, especially when the seven don't have a place to naturally gather together, like on Cheers or Wings.
I agree. But depending on how close everybody is off-screen, I can kind of see why they would want to honor her a bit rather than marginalizing her by just replacing her with another actress. But, as you said, they are a comedy, so getting away from that is also shorting their core audience.

Cheers. I started watching that again on NetFlix. Still funny 20+ years later.

Originally posted by Op2:
The problem is that the characters aren't really suited to that. They're forgetting that the point of a comedy is to make people laugh. Seven main characters is a lot to feed, especially when the seven don't have a place to naturally gather together, like on Cheers or Wings.
The have a gathering place, Sheldon & Leonard's apartment. The main issue is that they ran out of jokes about three seasons ago, but they're relying on the same schtick and it's not funny any more -- they've worn out Sheldon's insufferable (but one-note) intellectual superiority and lack of social skills, Raj's inability to get a girlfriend, Leonard & Penny's dysfunctional romance, Howard's mommy issues (which just changed focus from his invisible mother to Bernadette).

I was surprised that CBS renewed it for three seasons, and I'll be surprised if it really lasts that long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT