ADVERTISEMENT

And that'll do it for any hopes of post-season

MountaineerWV

All-American
Sep 18, 2007
First thing that needs to be done is in the locker room and one certain player to hit the road. There's a reason he's been at so many schools. Time for him to go.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
First thing that needs to be done is in the locker room and one certain player to hit the road. There's a reason he's been at so many schools. Time for him to go.
Stop that horsecrap moron. Your vendetta against the Stevenson and your anti white racism is way too obvious. Team sucks. Coaching sucks. Play sucks. Fans love mediocre results.

Stop that horsecrap moron. Your vendetta against the Stevenson and your anti white racism is way too obvious. Team sucks. Coaching sucks. Play sucks. Fans love mediocre results.
Shut your "anti-white" crap up. Stevenson has been a cancer. He is shooting under 15% in the Big 12 from deep. And less than 30% from the floor. I don't care if he's white, brown, black, yellow, or blue. Our backup PG needs to pack his bags too (he's not white)

Huggins has given up on this team. Takes full responsibility for not getting it fixed. See details in post game.

Huggins it's time to retire. Don't go out like this.

Shut your "anti-white" crap up. Stevenson has been a cancer. He is shooting under 15% in the Big 12 from deep. And less than 30% from the floor. I don't care if he's white, brown, black, yellow, or blue. Our backup PG needs to pack his bags too (he's not white)
Apparently the rest of the team sucks. Steet ballers playing D1.

Take your MAGA Trump horseshit somewhere else.

OMG this thread is perfect for the free board...keep up the good work...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What amazes me is how we were even in the Texas game at all. 20 turnovers? We cant pass, we cant catch, we cant make layups and we cant shoot 3s. Stevenson hasnt been playing well but not many of them are right now. Its broke and Huggins doesnt seem to be able to fix it. He looks and sounds like hot garbage. I love Huggs but this isnt a good look.

I'm going to write something that may be a little controversial but here goes....

I can give Brown a break. Let's face it - he was a no-name coach from a no-name school who happened to win a couple of big ball games while at that school. He has no resume' but he was the best we could get (and truth be told, may still be) and was brought in to put not only his signature on the program but take it to higher levels than Dana had it. Hasn't worked.

That being written, if WVU decides to stay with him another year (or two) I'd be ok with that. It's not like it used to be where a bad coaching choice would put you in the dregs for years. That's old thinking. With the portal and NIL, it could be turned around almost immediately barring you get a "name" coach. There are many examples to point this out.

However, if WVU elected to fire him tomorrow I'd be just as fine with that also. He's certainly earned it. As long as they have a "name" coach I think we'd all be happy.

Now, the other side...

While being terrible can be explained and understood with Brown, the same can't be said for Huggins. He's a Hall-of-Fame coach. He has over 900 wins. He's one of the best X's and O's coaches in the country - perhaps even top three or better. He's got the resume'.

The problem is this - he can't recruit and develop players. He has no NBA players (That anyone other than us know). His bigs all play below the rim and have for years. When he gets talent he can't keep it. He can't coach today's players with today's skills and mindsets. Huggins should be fighting for recruits against the likes of Calipari, Self, Coach K, etc. This is where a Hall-of-Fame coach should be - NOT against the likes of Stony Brook, Buffalo, etc. This would akin to Saban coming home and recruiting in the Dana/Brown range - should never happen.

Yet it does, and here we are.

Kids last year who shot 85% with their free throws at their old school can't hit 50% when it counts against competition. Can't make layups. Can't stop dribble drives or give and goes. Players with just subpar understanding of how the game works.

Same old tired routine - throw the players under the bus, say you're going to "fix it" but never do. Refuse to change anything other than a few mantras you roll out. And, worst of all, have no consistency. One never knows what team you're going to see come out of the locker room (either half).

He has to get some youth on that staff - not necessary his former choir members - or he's gotta be looking at being sent packing. Hall-of-Fame coaches can have bad years - K, Self, Cal, et. al all have had them - but never have they finished in the cellar with no hope of resurrection. They finished at worst 3rd on those bad years - at this point, we'd love to even have hope for third.

Sorry, rant over.

I'm going to write something that may be a little controversial but here goes....

I can give Brown a break. Let's face it - he was a no-name coach from a no-name school who happened to win a couple of big ball games while at that school. He has no resume' but he was the best we could get (and truth be told, may still be) and was brought in to put not only his signature on the program but take it to higher levels than Dana had it. Hasn't worked.

That being written, if WVU decides to stay with him another year (or two) I'd be ok with that. It's not like it used to be where a bad coaching choice would put you in the dregs for years. That's old thinking. With the portal and NIL, it could be turned around almost immediately barring you get a "name" coach. There are many examples to point this out.

However, if WVU elected to fire him tomorrow I'd be just as fine with that also. He's certainly earned it. As long as they have a "name" coach I think we'd all be happy.

Now, the other side...

While being terrible can be explained and understood with Brown, the same can't be said for Huggins. He's a Hall-of-Fame coach. He has over 900 wins. He's one of the best X's and O's coaches in the country - perhaps even top three or better. He's got the resume'.

The problem is this - he can't recruit and develop players. He has no NBA players (That anyone other than us know). His bigs all play below the rim and have for years. When he gets talent he can't keep it. He can't coach today's players with today's skills and mindsets. Huggins should be fighting for recruits against the likes of Calipari, Self, Coach K, etc. This is where a Hall-of-Fame coach should be - NOT against the likes of Stony Brook, Buffalo, etc. This would akin to Saban coming home and recruiting in the Dana/Brown range - should never happen.

Yet it does, and here we are.

Kids last year who shot 85% with their free throws at their old school can't hit 50% when it counts against competition. Can't make layups. Can't stop dribble drives or give and goes. Players with just subpar understanding of how the game works.

Same old tired routine - throw the players under the bus, say you're going to "fix it" but never do. Refuse to change anything other than a few mantras you roll out. And, worst of all, have no consistency. One never knows what team you're going to see come out of the locker room (either half).

He has to get some youth on that staff - not necessary his former choir members - or he's gotta be looking at being sent packing. Hall-of-Fame coaches can have bad years - K, Self, Cal, et. al all have had them - but never have they finished in the cellar with no hope of resurrection. They finished at worst 3rd on those bad years - at this point, we'd love to even have hope for third.

Sorry, rant over.
You might want to recheck that statement of no NBA players.

Huggins will leave on his own terms.

Calipari finished 9-16 just 2 years ago. Was a 2 seed last year and lost to 14 seed St. Pete or whoever it was.

Last edited:
You might want to recheck that statement of no NBA players.

Huggins will leave on his own terms.

Calipari finished 9-16 just 2 years ago. Was a 2 seed last year and lost to 14 seed St. Pete or whoever it was.
That's why I added (that anyone other than us knows). The average fan has no idea who Jevon Carter or Miles McBride are because the average fan doesn't pay attention to guys who barely see the floor or do anything spectacular. Just as you probably don't know VT's or Maryland's NBA players without doing some research. But I figure most can name a Kentucky player or a Kansas player without too much problem, and these are the kids a coach of Huggins' stature should be getting.

You're absolutely right. He'll leave when he's ready. But, that doesn't mean that the same, reasonable standards we hold for Brown shouldn't also be held for Huggins.

I remember that. I also recall that a lot of UK fans were calling for his head for it, too. They have a Hall-of-Fame coach that they hold to a higher standard. One bad year didn't get him fired nor should it. But bad losses to go along with constant turmoil and coach/player dismissals and departures must have some people asking questions and seeking answers, not just giving Huggins a free pass.

That's why I added (that anyone other than us knows). The average fan has no idea who Jevon Carter or Miles McBride are because the average fan doesn't pay attention to guys who barely see the floor or do anything spectacular. Just as you probably don't know VT's or Maryland's NBA players without doing some research. But I figure most can name a Kentucky player or a Kansas player without too much problem, and these are the kids a coach of Huggins' stature should be getting.

You're absolutely right. He'll leave when he's ready. But, that doesn't mean that the same, reasonable standards we hold for Brown shouldn't also be held for Huggins.

I remember that. I also recall that a lot of UK fans were calling for his head for it, too. They have a Hall-of-Fame coach that they hold to a higher standard. One bad year didn't get him fired nor should it. But bad losses to go along with constant turmoil and coach/player dismissals and departures must have some people asking questions and seeking answers, not just giving Huggins a free pass.
Both McBride and Carter are on their team's 9 man rotation. They play every night. Jevon is averaging 7.2 PPG for the Bucks, and 24 minutes per game (which is HALF the game). McBridge is averaging 13 minutes per game, and 3 PPG.

So to claim they "don't see the floor" shows your ignorance on the subject. Please refrain from attempting to justify because it only makes you look less of a fan.

The current new assistant coach hire was also an NBA player. Calipari is on the hot seat this year and he's 13-6 (4-3). Was a 2seed last year with the national player of the year and lost in first round as a 2 seed. Kentucky expectations are championships. WVU expectations are sweet 16.

Huggins will get his free pass. He might be asked or told to retire but they will not fire him.

Javon "barely saw the court" last night in the Bucks win........and he "barely" scored 18 points on "barely" going 6-8 from 3-point.........."awful" game. :rolleyes:

Both McBride and Carter are on their team's 9 man rotation. They play every night. Jevon is averaging 7.2 PPG for the Bucks, and 24 minutes per game (which is HALF the game). McBridge is averaging 13 minutes per game, and 3 PPG.

So to claim they "don't see the floor" shows your ignorance on the subject. Please refrain from attempting to justify because it only makes you look less of a fan.
Thank you for clarifying it for me. Truth be told, I couldn't BE less of a fan.

However, you inadvertently made my point for me. Two guys who come off the bench... are these folks someone the average fan would know? You wouldn't know them or where they came from either if they didn't go to WVU. So, would anyone other than an NBA superfan know or care where some guy who averages 3 or 7 points per game off the bench comes from?

No.

This was the whole point. Should someone of Huggins' caliber and resume as a Hall-of-Fame coach only have two players in the NBA, who "come off the bench" that nobody knows. Even the average fan could name someone from Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas in the NBA. That's because they are stars and starters. Players with "name recognition". These are the kids that Huggins, a Hall-of-Fame coach, should be recruiting. Recruiting against the likes of Cal, K, and Self. Not against the Akron's of the world.

I have nothing against those two. Wish them all the best. But, the whole gist of the argument wasn't about them anyway.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
Javon "barely saw the court" last night in the Bucks win........and he "barely" scored 18 points on "barely" going 6-8 from 3-point.........."awful" game. :rolleyes:
That's awesome! Good for him!

That being written, I may not be a fan of the NBA but I can at least spell their names correctly.

That's awesome! Good for him!

That being written, I may not be a fan of the NBA but I can at least spell their names correctly.
Good for you. (oops, Jevon).......glad you you are such a fan of WVU that you don't follow past greats as they continue their careers professionally.

Thank you for clarifying it for me. Truth be told, I couldn't BE less of a fan.

However, you inadvertently made my point for me. Two guys who come off the bench... are these folks someone the average fan would know? You wouldn't know them or where they came from either if they didn't go to WVU. So, would anyone other than an NBA superfan know or care where some guy who averages 3 or 7 points per game off the bench comes from?

No.

This was the whole point. Should someone of Huggins' caliber and resume as a Hall-of-Fame coach only have two players in the NBA, who "come off the bench" that nobody knows. Even the average fan could name someone from Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas in the NBA. That's because they are stars and starters. Players with "name recognition". These are the kids that Huggins, a Hall-of-Fame coach, should be recruiting. Recruiting against the likes of Cal, K, and Self. Not against the Akron's of the world.

I have nothing against those two. Wish them all the best. But, the whole gist of the argument wasn't about them anyway.
So you think every player from UK, Duke, etc. are "stars who start" in the NBA?

Good for you. (oops, Jevon).......glad you you are such a fan of WVU that you don't follow past greats as they continue their careers professionally.
I do. However, I prefer to follow WVU professionals in the areas I care the most about - law, medicine, engineering, etc. The NBA? Very low on the priority list.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I do. However, I prefer to follow WVU professionals in the areas I care the most about - law, medicine, engineering, etc. The NBA? Very low on the priority list.
Jevon and McBride will make more $$$$ in their careers than 99% of those lawyers, engineers, doctors, etc.

Jevon and McBride will make more $$$$ in their careers than 99% of those lawyers, engineers, doctors, etc.
Yes, that is certainly so.

But those lawyers, doctors, and engineers will save people's lives. That's much more important than bouncing a basketball, wouldn't you say? Just as Damar Hamlin will make WAAYYY more money than the EMT's and doctors that saved his life, ask him today which job is more of a priority despite the difference in pay. That's why I put my priorities there.

So, I must ask: Why don't you?

"Every" one? No.

Some? Yes.

However, I know of two from WVU who aren't and don't.

Wish Huggins would change this. Maybe then, I would care more... but I doubt it.
Huggins is hall of fame coach whether you like it or not. If a player wants to go pro his ass better be ready to go the extra mile on his own instead of just relying on a coach.

True on both counts.

Yet, wouldn't it be easier (and better) for WVU if he recruited players that had NBA skills, like his HOF colleagues do rather than players with skillsets more akin to yours and mine?

NBA players beget more NBA level talent to your school. Vice versa is also true. What happens in the tournament is irrelevant as one will improve your chances and one will not.

Of course, this is what makes Huggins the HOF coach he is - he can manage to get farther with lesser talent than about anyone. That's the problem - he can only take them so far before they just get out-talented. What could happen if he could get that kind of talent to begin with?

True on both counts.

Yet, wouldn't it be easier (and better) for WVU if he recruited players that had NBA skills, like his HOF colleagues do rather than players with skillsets more akin to yours and mine?

NBA players beget more NBA level talent to your school. Vice versa is also true. What happens in the tournament is irrelevant as one will improve your chances and one will not.

Of course, this is what makes Huggins the HOF coach he is - he can manage to get farther with lesser talent than about anyone. That's the problem - he can only take them so far before they just get out-talented. What could happen if he could get that kind of talent to begin with?
You think he doesn't attempt to recruit players NBA skills? NBA players are rare commodity. Only 1.2% make the jump to the NBA. Only 3.5% of high school players move on to a college team and that number shrinks to 1% when you specify D1.

You people think NBA players just grow on trees.

Yes, that is certainly so.

But those lawyers, doctors, and engineers will save people's lives. That's much more important than bouncing a basketball, wouldn't you say? Just as Damar Hamlin will make WAAYYY more money than the EMT's and doctors that saved his life, ask him today which job is more of a priority despite the difference in pay. That's why I put my priorities there.

So, I must ask: Why don't you?
You are on a SPORTS FORUM. Go post on the WVU Engineering forum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT