ADVERTISEMENT

An early look ahead to next season

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Never too early to look ahead, lol. Obviously, strictly guesses on my part (so don't get upset). We know we will lose one player but I am assuming that no one leaves, so I included everyone.

1. Carter starts at the 1 backed up by Beetle.
2. Miles starts at the 2 backed up by Knapper, who plays ahead of Harler
3. Miles may play a little 3, but my guess is that Esa and West will man that position backed up by Hunter, who won't get many minutes. Hunter is not a good shooter but long, athletic and hopefully a disrupter on defense. Esa makes another pretty big leap in improvement. He will have to to hold off West. West is a better shoot and they are equal rebounders. Esa is likely the better passer and ball handler. But West is really, really young and could get a LOT better.
4. Teddy Allen will struggle to play Huggs' D. I think he needs a year to adjust to Div. 1 play, especially on D (his high school coach said the same thing during an interview I saw). Probably needs a year with Andy to hone the body. I had hoped he would be a 2, but his high school coach feels that he will be a wing at WVU.
5. Bender improves at the 4, but is probably still another year away from being a strong contributor. Harris plays the 4, Bender likely starts due to knowledge of the system but Harris plays a lot. West may play some 4 as well.
6. Macon starts followed by a much improved Sags at the 5. Between the 2, we get 15 points and 10 rebounds a game along with 3 - 4 blocks. Not bad. Culver struggles to adapt to Huggs's coaching. Will get some spot minutes at the 5. Perhaps, Huggs experiments with Culver at the 4, where he might get more minutes. I have read the Culver has a good outside shot. Harris was 35% from 3 last season, not bad, not great. Bender's been a very poor long distance shooter this year. His form is good, he has to get better and will, imo.

We lose Phillip, who is not shooting it well lately, is still able to drive the ball and play defense. We will miss him. We can replace Myers. I think we are a better overall team next season. Watkins can be replaced. Nate, huge loss.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News