ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Ahmad to Test NBA Draft Process

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - West Virginia junior forward Esa Ahmad will submit the paperwork to go through the NBA Draft process, but he will not hire an agent.

"Just like Sags (Sagaba Konate), Esa will go through the NBA Draft procedures in a systematic and professional manner by exploring the situation. Numerous college basketball players are testing the waters, gaining valuable feedback and leaving open their option to return to school," coach Bob Huggins said.

Ahmad, a native of Cleveland, played in 21 games this past season, averaging 10.2 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.

College basketball players have until May 30 to officially remove their names from the NBA Draft.

Clearly no shot to be drafted but I would not be surprised if he was thinking overseas now opposed to later.

Clearly no shot to be drafted but I would not be surprised if he was thinking overseas now opposed to later.

For a player who has maxed his potential I understand leaving early and going overseas to make some money....EA seems like a guy that still hasn't put it all together. Could he be an NBA guy if he comes back and has a big year? I would think if he gets an eval that gives him some hope he comes back and tries to make that happen....overseas will still be there in another year.

For a player who has maxed his potential I understand leaving early and going overseas to make some money....EA seems like a guy that still hasn't put it all together. Could he be an NBA guy if he comes back and has a big year? I would think if he gets an eval that gives him some hope he comes back and tries to make that happen....overseas will still be there in another year.

For bball, there are alot of employment opportunities. For a guy to stay 4 years they have to really love the program/the game/college basketball. I just dont get that vibe from Esa. I dont think an NBA evaluation positive or negative is going to cause him to forego another year of getting paid to play so he can come back to college where he was just suspended for half a year.

For bball, there are alot of employment opportunities. For a guy to stay 4 years they have to really love the program/the game/college basketball. I just dont get that vibe from Esa. I dont think an NBA evaluation positive or negative is going to cause him to forego another year of getting paid to play so he can come back to college where he was just suspended for half a year.

You may well be correct....it's hard to read these guys. The fact that we are going after 1 more is indicative that another spot will be open. I heard Bob talking on a radio show after the tourney and he walked through next seasons roster and did mention Esa. He didn't mention Bender and of course he's gone. Regardless would like to see Esa back but can't fault a guy making some cash.

You may well be correct....it's hard to read these guys. The fact that we are going after 1 more is indicative that another spot will be open. I heard Bob talking on a radio show after the tourney and he walked through next seasons roster and did mention Esa. He didn't mention Bender and of course he's gone. Regardless would like to see Esa back but can't fault a guy making some cash.
I’m fine with Esa leaving. If he can make money overseas, do it.

Only problem is that he won’t make much $ overseas at this point. He needs to come back and develop more. The lower leagues overseas don’t pay much at all. Nothing glorious about it.

Not much? How much is not much? Players like Williams, D'or and many others are making a good living overseas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT