ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Adams named WVU cornerback coach

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Adams Named Cornerbacks Coach

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (March 7, 2016) – West Virginia University football coach Dana Holgorsen has announced that Danny “Blue” Adams will join the Mountaineer coaching staff as an assistant coach, handling the cornerbacks.

“We would like to welcome Blue Adams to the West Virginia football program,” Holgorsen said. “He brings outstanding secondary experience, first playing professionally for several years, then coaching at the college level and the last three in the NFL. He brings energy as a coach and teacher and will be a good addition to our staff.”

Adams, a native of Miami, Florida, comes to West Virginia after serving as an assistant coach with the Miami Dolphins since 2012. He was the assistant defensive backs coach for two years and a secondary coach the past year. He oversaw the nickel and dime positions and assisted with the cornerbacks and safeties. He assisted in the formation of the game plan and handled the rookie development, overseeing the rookie meetings in OTAs and during training camp.

“I am excited to come to West Virginia and be a part of this program and coaching staff,” Adams said. “I want to thank Coach Holgorsen for giving me this opportunity. I believe in Coach Gibson and the style of defense here, and I’m looking forward to working and teaching these talented young men on this campus and helping them develop.”

Prior to his stint in the NFL, Adams was the secondary coach at Northern Iowa in 2011 and was a graduate assistant at Purdue in 2010.

While at Northern Iowa, he was responsible for the entire secondary and served as the team’s defensive pass game coordinator. The Panthers finished 10-3, won the Missouri Valley Football Conference and advanced to the quarterfinal round of the NCAA FCS playoffs. His secondary finished with 13 of the team’s 18 interceptions that season.

With the Boilermakers, he oversaw the on-field defensive back drills, worked with the scout teams, broke down opponents and prepared scouting reports.

Adams played professional football as a cornerback, safety and nickel for a season in NFL Europe, six seasons in the NFL and a year in the Canadian Football League, playing for the Detroit Lions and Jacksonville Jaguars (2003), Rhein Fire (2004), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2005-06), Cincinnati Bengals (2007), Atlanta Falcons (2008) and Montreal Alouettes (2009).

Adams, who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Cincinnati in 2003, was a second-team All-Conference USA selection in 2002.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT