ADVERTISEMENT

A very troubling time

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
For both of our major programs. Every football team is seeing turnover but we seem to have more than most. We are not relevant in Big 12 football. Certainly, NIL could be a factor. But I believe until we become relevant, we will continue to see players leave. Winning changes almost everything, imo. Basketball is a different story. On one hand, I think Huggs truly believed that Culver and McBride would return. He made a catastrophic miscalculation and as a result, we failed in the portal. Huggs hates the portal but I think he is changing his tune realizing that we have to get much better at bringing in high quality players. We are at or near .500 in the Big 12 since we first joined. Given the money we have spent on the program, that is just not getting it done. And we are on our second rebuild in 4 years.

NIL is a big factor for our best players. We are going to be behind the 8-ball given our lack of wealth, especially in football (Huggs has an ability with some of our big money donors to get them involved because they love Huggs). But winning helps to offset that a bit. Brown just has to start winning. Huggs has almost a complete rebuild on hand. If he would shake up his staff, I would have more confidence. But 2 rebuilds in 4 seasons is very alarming. I hope, perhaps foolishly, that Huggs' love for the state and its people, will overcome his innate loyalty to his current staff.

Reactions: EERS 2 Ya
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News