All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
PG - Kriisa, Bembry
SG - Battle (if he gets his waiver), Seth and Kobe
SF - Perez, Harris, Naveh
PF - Slazinski, Akok, Harris, Suemnick
C - Edwards, Akok

Bembry and Naveh have never play a college basketball game. Not sure what we have in these two but there certainly is promise in both. I hope we can get a couple of guards to complete the roster. A PG for depth and a swing SG who can also play the 3. Omar is a big loss. He was an experienced 2 guard that provided very good depth. If Battle does not get his waiver, it will be a huge blow. We can't replace Battle at this late stage. After the Perez debacle and now Silverio (I realize his situation is different than Battle's), how confident can we be that a waiver will be granted?

If the gods smile on us and Battle get his waiver, we are likely a top 5 Big 12 team. If we add a couple of high quality guards, I think we can be a top 3 team that can make the Sweet 16 if not more. I hope we can get some late portal entries from graduates to complete this roster.

PG - A bit better offensively than last year's team but weaker defensively. Edwards and Akok will help defensively with their excellent rim protection. Bembry is very long for a PG. Word is that his length helps him defensively and he is a pass first PG. Perhaps he provides high quality depth but given the uncertainty, we need another player. Still, I think this is a slight upgrade over last year's team.

SG - Battle vs. Stevenson. Great question: Do we upgrade the SG position? From what I have heard, Battle is the real deal. Seth and Kobe are just role players and I don't expect either to make a major leap in performance. We need some quality depth and if we get one, we have a slight upgrade over last year's team.

SF - Perez is not as long or athletic as Matthews but is likely a better basketball player. He is a scorer. Can he become more lethal from 3? He has had a couple of years to work on it. And Perez is a more physical player than Emmitt. Slight upgrade, especially if Harris really comes on. We need some insurance at this position. Naveh is a wild card.

PF - Slazinski vs. Mitchell. I realize Mitchell was not physical and wilted at times in the Big 12. But he was a player that needed to be accounted for and was a mismatch inside. I think Slazinski can stretch the floor and Akok can likely play with Edwards for short bursts although Akok is not much of a true threat from 3. The wild card is Harris. If he really ups his game, this helps greatly at the 3 and the 4. I am not expecting much from Suemnick, but hope I am wrong. Slight downgrade.

C - Big upgrade. Edwards will likely be the 2nd best center in the Big 12. And one of the best in the country. Akok provides quality back-up. If they get into foul trouble, it will be interesting to see who the 3rd center is on this team. Suemnick? Not an appealing thought. Can we go small with Slazinski or Harris?

PG - Kriisa, Bembry
C - Edwards, Akok

Bembry and Naveh have never play a college basketball game. Not sure what we have in these two but there certainly is promise in both. I hope we can get a couple of guards to complete the roster. A PG for depth and a swing SG who can also play the 3. Omar is a big loss. He was an experienced 2 guard that provided very good depth. If Battle does not get his waiver, it will be a huge blow. We can't replace Battle at this late stage. After the Perez debacle and now Silverio (I realize his situation is different than Battle's), how confident can we be that a waiver will be granted?

If the gods smile on us and Battle get his waiver, we are likely a top 5 Big 12 team. If we add a couple of high quality guards, I think we can be a top 3 team that can make the Sweet 16 if not more. I hope we can get some late portal entries from graduates to complete this roster.

PG - A bit better offensively than last year's team but weaker defensively. Edwards and Akok will help defensively with their excellent rim protection. Bembry is very long for a PG. Word is that his length helps him defensively and he is a pass first PG. Perhaps he provides high quality depth but given the uncertainty, we need another player. Still, I think this is a slight upgrade over last year's team.

SG - Battle vs. Stevenson. Great question: Do we upgrade the SG position? From what I have heard, Battle is the real deal. Seth and Kobe are just role players and I don't expect either to make a major leap in performance. We need some quality depth and if we get one, we have a slight upgrade over last year's team.

SF - Perez is not as long or athletic as Matthews but is likely a better basketball player. He is a scorer. Can he become more lethal from 3? He has had a couple of years to work on it. And Perez is a more physical player than Emmitt. Slight upgrade, especially if Harris really comes on. We need some insurance at this position. Naveh is a wild card.

PF - Slazinski vs. Mitchell. I realize Mitchell was not physical and wilted at times in the Big 12. But he was a player that needed to be accounted for and was a mismatch inside. I think Slazinski can stretch the floor and Akok can likely play with Edwards for short bursts although Akok is not much of a true threat from 3. The wild card is Harris. If he really ups his game, this helps greatly at the 3 and the 4. I am not expecting much from Suemnick, but hope I am wrong. Slight downgrade.

C - Big upgrade. Edwards will likely be the 2nd best center in the Big 12. And one of the best in the country. Akok provides quality back-up. If they get into foul trouble, it will be interesting to see who the 3rd center is on this team. Suemnick? Not an appealing thought. Can we go small with Slazinski or Harris?
I think we would like to start Akok at the four which would mean we really need a backup five.

A great evaluation of our bb situation up to now. Thanks WVPATX.
Fingers crossed we get at least one more serviceable point guard.
We need a backup with game experience. Same goes for needing a backup center. Getting Akok was a help but he’s more of a four guy.
I am hoping as you pointed out, that Harris comes on strong as he gets playing time. He could be very valuable at backing up at both the 3 & 4 spots if he does.
If we can get those two more holes filled this could be a very good team.
I hope our in experience on the coaching staff isn’t a factor. I like the staff we assembled, young and more energy than we've had for a long time.
Nothing would please me more to see this team be successful and the whole staff returns for the long haul.

Reactions: simon_kenton
PG - Kriisa, Bembry
C - Edwards, Akok

Akok is very likely the starting 4

I think we would like to start Akok at the four which would mean we really need a backup five.
Respectfully disagree. Very few teams even field a true Center any longer. This roster is incredibly long and athletic. While Akok and Edwards start together, the staff probably staggers their substitutions.

I’d rather see some mix and match reserve lineups that adds more shooting. Maybe something like:
Bembry
Wilson
Harris
Slazinski
Akok

Or
Kriisa
Battle
Perez
Naveh
Slazinski

This was my exact comment in a thread yesterday. Need a 6'10" 240/250 backup center. Maybe 2 pts and 4 rebounds per game.

This was my exact comment in a thread yesterday. Need a 6'10" 240/250 backup center. Maybe 2 pts and 4 rebounds per game.
Does Pauli Pailicap have an extra year of eligibility? jk but I assume that's what we need.

Never thought I’d say this, but we could really use Jimmy Bell about right now.

Secure Battle, grab another guard and grab a Jimmy Bell-esque 5 and we’re gonna be tough.

• Wow
Reactions: HPeer
You well may be right but I really hope that Slazinski proves good enough to start. He can help spread the floor and I do not think Akok can. I think Akok can get 20 or more minutes a game at the 4 and the 5.
Think you’re underestimating Akok. There’s a reason a blue blood tried to get him from us late, as did some SEC and West Coast powers. He runs the floor very well and should fit into our new offensive style, which will be more NBA-ish.

PG - Kriisa, Bembry
C - Edwards, Akok

"although Akok is not much of a true threat from 3..."

I'm not sure this is correct.

Reactions: anon_ua13v0oqypu5z
That's what we need.... a big guy taking up the PT of more deserving, talented, and useful players😆
If Edwards never gets in foul trouble, never needs a break or never gets pushed around by a physically bigger bodied 5, you’ve got a good point. Realistically, we are gonna need another 5 to play some minutes.

If Edwards never gets in foul trouble, never needs a break or never gets pushed around by a physically bigger bodied 5, you’ve got a good point. Realistically, we are gonna need another 5 to play some minutes.
Jimmy was fine for what he was, problem is Huggs had a hard on for him and wouldn’t take him out of the starting lineup. Thankfully, as the year went on, his role diminished. If he was a guy we could just play 5 mins/game though when necessary, I’d be totally fine with that.

He shot 26% from 3 as a freshman with 1.8 attempts/game. 33% as a Sophomore but just .4 attempts/game. 46% as a junior at 1.2 attempts/game. And just 28% last year with a career high 2.7 attempts/game. Not a volume 3 point shooter and his percentages fall with higher attempts.

Reactions: wvufootball2006

Career 28% shooter from 3, I believe. He doesn’t have to be deadly. If he just has enough range to force defenders to guard him out there, it will help with spacing.

You must not have watched Akok’s highlights. In those he plays exactly like kevin Durant
At 6 ppg that may be a stretch lol. Not saying he’s not a big pickup but KD was a stud at Texas his one year I think he’s another piece to the puzzle that was needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT