ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
It is a tough time to be a Mountaineer fan. It has been a tough time to be a Mountaineer fan. It seems like forever since we have been relevant in football. And it seems almost as long in basketball. Years and years of irrelevance. Time has passed by pretty quickly. But it is shocking how long it has been.

I have met NB a few times. Really like the guy and his family. But it is time to move on. We have talked about the cost of letting him go. I would argue the cost to the University would be far greater if he stayed. Lost ticket sales. Lost donations. Damage to the brand.

DeVries has breathed some life into the moribund basketball program. I watched the game against Charleston and I did not recognize anyone on the team, not even Naveh (different hair cut, lol). But I fear it is going to be a pretty long season. He needs time to recruit and to build relationships with key donors that allow us to compete in the NIL game. I was heartened by our performance in the game. But the Big 12 is a whole different animal. Not sure we have the horses to be a factor. It is likely that we don't. Even in the NIL era, re-building takes time, shorter in basketball, longer in football.

Wren has an easy decision but tough to execute agenda. The season will play out. At season's end, NB will very, very likely be gone. And the search needs to already be underway, much as it was during the transition year in basketball. Wren is a basketball guy. How good will he be on the football side? He needs to be an A player and make the exact right decision. Or we continue swirling down this drain.

I haven't a clue who would be a great hire. Cignetti would likely be a home run but I suspect he will have bigger fish to fry. And would he really leave the B1G for the Big 12? And, even if we make the right hire, how long will we remain in the wilderness? It is going to take time. We have learned patience. We have had to. But this is wearing very thin. I now expect losses rather than looking forward to games. Depressing.

But tomorrow is a new day. Hope in basketball. For sure. Hope in football? We will have to wait a while for that.

Wren, get it right. Please.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.