ADVERTISEMENT

25 years ago today. I am still sick at this memory

My best friend (since departed) and our wives drove an hour and a half home from that game and I don't think 10 words were spoken.

My best friend (since departed) and our wives drove an hour and a half home from that game and I don't think 10 words were spoken.

I heard Saunders
missed his blocking assignment.

I drove 3+ hours, for 25 years
to mostly attend those games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Euell
I've seen worse games in Morgantown. I was also there.

If there had been review back then do you really think they overturn the call?

I also attended 1993 win over Miami 17-14 that was nearly 28 years ago.

#7 WVU beats #4 Miami

Reactions: mofo
I've seen worse games in Morgantown. I was also there.

If there had been review back then do you really think they overturn the call?

I also attended 1993 win over Miami 17-14 that was nearly 28 years ago.

#7 WVU beats #4 Miami

I was at both of those games as well, but thinking the worse feeling was the 31 to 31 tie with Pitt in the late 80s, maybe even 1989 close to Thanksgiving. WVU was up like 31-7/31-9 in 4th quarter and allowed Pitt to tie the game. Long drive back to the holler after that one.

So many close calls that didn’t go our way…I still haven’t gotten over Georgetown in our first Big East game….the loudest and then the quietest crowd I’ve ever seen.

I was at both of those games as well, but thinking the worse feeling was the 31 to 31 tie with Pitt in the late 80s, maybe even 1989 close to Thanksgiving. WVU was up like 31-7/31-9 in 4th quarter and allowed Pitt to tie the game. Long drive back to the holler after that one.

Backyard Brawl #13 Pitt vs.WVU 9-30-1989

WVU lead 14-9 at the half

Things looked good for West Virginia after the Mountaineers went up 31-9 with 4:06 left in the third quarter.

One of the worst games I have ever attended besides the Gator bowl and regular season game against Maryland the same year.

With both of those games you could have heard a pin drop as folks exited the stadium. Another heartbreaking loss was the Marvin Graves-SU debacle. Much louder crowd exiting though as people were extremely pissed at the way we got screwed.

I was at the Miami punt block in the upper deck on the scoreboard end. Stepping back from the edge, leaving out the punt block, it was an exciting game.

I was at both Pitt tied games. The 10-10 and the 31-31. My wife hasn’t been back since she said she jinxed them.

Reactions: Euell
I broke a few things after that game!!! Still makes me mad thinking about it. Even the announcers thought it might happen!!

That was a forward lateral and should have been flagged and nullified and the punt re-done.

It was an illegal forward lateral. By rule the block still counts and Miami would retain possession. I believe a 5 or 10 yard penalty would be assessed at the location the forward lateral was made and the clock set to whatever it was when the penalty occurred.

It was an illegal forward lateral. By rule the block still counts and Miami would retain possession. I believe a 5 or 10 yard penalty would be assessed at the location the forward lateral was made and the clock set to whatever it was when the penalty occurred.

THERE WAS 25 SECONDS LEFT WITH WVU AHEAD 7-3 SO MIAMI STILL NEEDED A TD AND NOT A FIELD GOAL TO WIN SO IT MIGHT NOT HAVE HAPPENED, PARTICULARLY WITH THE PENALTY FOR AN ILLEGAL FORWARD LATERAL, WHICH IT SURE AS HELL WAS. MICHAEL VICK NOT BEING SHOVED OUT OF BOUNDS ON HIS SIDELINE RUN WAS ANOTHER PUNCH IN THE GUT, TOO. DIDN'T EVEN NEED TO TACKLE HIM. JUST GET HIM OUT OF BOUNDS AND WVU WINS.

Last edited:

It was behind the LOS,
line of scrimmage.

Not worth a food fight, but if behind of the Line Of Scrimmage, it's legal.

*With a caveat,
seems Oklahoma has been getting allot of boarder line calls* obviously but in this case, legal.

It was behind the LOS,
line of scrimmage.

*With a caveat,
seems Oklahoma has been getting allot of boarder line calls* obviously but in this case, legal.

I'm fairly sure that once the defensive player has possession of the ball, there is no line of scrimmage issue. Just like kick offs or punts, the returning defender can only lateral backward and not forward. Hence the moment the Miami player had possession of the ball, he could only transfer the ball legally to someone directly beside him or behind him, aka further away from the WVU end zone. In this instance, the Miami player he hands the ball to is easily half a yard ahead or closer to the WVU end zone. That is why it is an illegal forward lateral by the Miami player. Miami should have had the ball 5 yards behind where the initial Miami player gave up the ball with something like 18-20 seconds on the clock.

THERE WAS 25 SECONDS LEFT WITH WVU AHEAD 7-3 SO MIAMI STILL NEEDED A TV AND NOT A FIELD GOAL TO WIN SO IT MIGHT NOT HAVE HAPPENED, PARTICULARLY WITH THE PENALTY FOR AN ILLEGAL FORWARD LATERAL, WHICH IT SURE AS HELL WAS. MICHAEL VICK NOT BEING SHOVED OUT OF BOUNDS ON HIS SIDELINE RUN WAS ANOTHER PUNCH IN THE GUT, TOO. DIDN'T EVEN NEED TO TACKLE HIM. JUST GET HIM OUT OF BOUNDS AND WVU WINS.

It was an illegal forward lateral. I was just stating that the block and turnover were still legit and the poster who mentioned that the illegal forward lateral would've resulted in a replay of 4th down and another opportunity to punt by WVU was not accurate.

I'm fairly sure that once the defensive player has possession of the ball, there is no line of scrimmage issue. Just like kick offs or punts, the returning defender can only lateral backward and not forward. Hence the moment the Miami player had possession of the ball, he could only transfer the ball legally to someone directly beside him or behind him, aka further away from the WVU end zone. In this instance, the Miami player he hands the ball to is easily half a yard ahead or closer to the WVU end zone. That is why it is an illegal forward lateral by the Miami player. Miami should have had the ball 5 yards behind where the initial Miami player gave up the ball with something like 18-20 seconds on the clock.

Ok, appreciated

I am not as sure as you are. A blocked punt is not a turnover which is what you are stating is happening if the penalty is 5 yards behind the LOS and possession goes to the opponent. From my reading of the rules, a blocked punt is NOT a turnover so there is no possession. Because there is no change of possession, but there is a forward lateral by the opposing team, the down is replayed.

I am not as sure as you are. A blocked punt is not a turnover which is what you are stating is happening if the penalty is 5 yards behind the LOS and possession goes to the opponent. From my reading of the rules, a blocked punt is NOT a turnover so there is no possession. Because there is no change of possession, but there is a forward lateral by the opposing team, the down is replayed.

Unfortunately it appears to me the blocked punt and the recovery by the Miami player were legitimate plays. The moment the Miami player had clear possession of the loose ball it was a change of possession. Any infraction committed after that does not undo the change of possession. It's like after an interception where the return player commits a face mask trying to stiff arm or an illegal block in the back occurs. The TO is upheld and the penalty during the return is assessed where it occurred after change of possession.

Last edited:
I remember the excitement before the 1994 kickoff classic in NJ versus Nebraska. The anticipation started almost immediately after our 1993 season was over, especially after feeling we got screwed out of playing for the national title in 1993 with the Orange bowl choosing FSU over us.

Obviously the result of the 1994 game was not what I or any WVU fan wanted, but it created one of my favorite memories of all time of WVU Football with Todd Sauerbrun’s punt which sailed at least 80 yards in the air before landing in the field of play.

Punt

Somebody else mentioned the Marvin Graves game which infuriated every mountaineer fan, especially after learning after the play that 3 WVU players were kicked out of the game and 1 Cuse player was kicked out, but Graves remained in the game. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Mountaineer field boo as loud as we did after that call.

I also must say we got redemption in 1993 when we blew them out 43-0 on their own field. I remember nehlen talking about how important it was to go up to the carrier dome and ‘take it to them.’

Damn, I miss the old days.

Reactions: mofo
I remember the excitement before the 1994 kickoff classic in NJ versus Nebraska. The anticipation started almost immediately after our 1993 season was over, especially after feeling we got screwed out of playing for the national title in 1993 with the Orange bowl choosing FSU over us.

Obviously the result of the 1994 game was not what I or any WVU fan wanted, but it created one of my favorite memories of all time of WVU Football with Todd Sauerbrun’s punt which sailed at least 80 yards in the air before landing in the field of play.

Punt

Somebody else mentioned the Marvin Graves game which infuriated every mountaineer fan, especially after learning after the play that 3 WVU players were kicked out of the game and 1 Cuse player was kicked out, but Graves remained in the game. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Mountaineer field boo as loud as we did after that call.

I also must say we got redemption in 1993 when we blew them out 43-0 on their own field. I remember nehlen talking about how important it was to go up to the carrier dome and ‘take it to them.’

Damn, I miss the old days.
Also worth mentioning that the lone Syracuse player that was ejected had never played a down all year while all three WVU players ejected were defensive starters. It was the ultra hose job.

The Virginia Tech scoop and score on Quincey Wilson’s fumble and the blown call at mid field was a major boo fest as well.
We always knew that the Big East refs sucked, but then learned how spineless the Conference leadership was in not doing anything to Beamer for slapping one of his players on National TV. A fine, a verbal warning, or even making him count to 10 or stand in the corner for a minute, nothing. Try that today and BLM would move to have the football program halted for several years. Let alone riot on campus for a month.

You don't reset the clock to when a penalty happens during a live ball.

It was behind the LOS,
line of scrimmage.

*With a caveat,
That (LOS) does not come into play with a turnover and the defense has the ball

It was an illegal forward lateral. I was just stating that the block and turnover were still legit and the poster who mentioned that the illegal forward lateral would've resulted in a replay of 4th down and another opportunity to punt by WVU was not accurate.

YOU ARE CORRECT. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MIAMI'S BALL, WITH MAYBE 20 SECONDS LEFT, AND MIAMI DOWN BY 4 POINTS SO THEY WOULD HAVE HAD TO GET A TD OR LOSE THE GAME. ONE PLAY THAT BROKE MY HEART.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT