ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Mountaineers Earn First GARC Win over #6 Nebraska

WVU82

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?story=28753&cat=exclusives

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The No. 1-ranked West Virginia University rifle team earned its second straight win of the season today, defeating No. 6 Nebraska, 4714-4654, at Air Force’s Falcon Rifle Range, in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

RESULTS

The Mountaineers (2-0, 1-0) defeated the Huskers in both guns, winning smallbore, 2338-2290, and air rifle, 2376-2364. WVU improved six shots in air rifle and three shots in smallbore from its season-opening victory against Air Force yesterday.

“The team had another excellent performance today,” said Mountaineer coach Jon Hammond. “There were some great individual performances, and those always lead to high team scores. I liked what I saw from the team – I think everyone learned a lot from yesterday. As I said yesterday, there’s still room to improve, and that’s good, too.”

Today was the Great American Rifle Conference (GARC) season opener for both squads.

A trio of Mountaineers tied for first in air rifle, with seniors Garrett Spurgeon (100-97-99-99-100-100) and Patrick Sunderman (100-100-97-100-100-98), as well as freshman Ginny Thrasher (100-100-98-100-99-98), each shooting 595. Nebraska’s Hannah Virga shot 594 and placed fourth, and Mountaineer sophomore Elizabeth Gratz finished fifth with a 593 mark.

Senior Michael Bamsey matched his career-high smallbore score of 587 (198 kneeling, 199 prone, 192 standing) for the discipline win. Spurgeon and Thrasher tied for second with 586 marks, and Gratz tied Nebraska’s Rachel Martin for fourth place with a 579 score.

“Ginny had a great day today,” said Hammond. “She really learned a lot from her first career match yesterday, and I could see where she made improvements.”

Spurgeon, Thrasher, Bamsey and senior Meelis Kiisk counted toward the team scores in both guns. Gratz contributed to the Mountaineers’ smallbore score, while Sunderman shot toward the air rifle total.

With the win, WVU improves to 10-4 against Nebraska.

WVU breaks from action for two weeks before another two-match road trip. The Mountaineers will shoot at No. 8 Memphis on Saturday, Oct. 31, before traveling to Oxford, Mississippi, for a match at Mississippi. Both matches are slated to begin at 8 a.m. ET.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News