ADVERTISEMENT

1,066,360 families in TX paid $247.5M in penalties to the IRS to NOT have owebamacrap

1) Voter info? WTF?

2) Yay, more money in the treasury

3) The penalties obviously need to be higher

see all the useful information one gets when states give their voter info to the Trump White House...

using the latest census data I can find, there appears to be approximately 4.8 million families in TX (mother and father or female with children). In 2015 just 16% were uninsured. That would be 770,000. What the White House appears to have used is total households for the denominator which includes families but can include unmarried couples, extended familes and polygamists :) .

My calculations are completely "back of envelope" but that number appears to be high.

Last edited:
Consider those people that paid money to not buy health insurance. Suppose one of them gets a catastrophic illness. Who pays? All of society pays. So IOW, they weren't paying to not have health insurance, rather they were paying for the de facto health insurance they already had.

Consider those people that paid money to not buy health insurance. Suppose one of them gets a catastrophic illness. Who pays? All of society pays. So IOW, they weren't paying to not have health insurance, rather they were paying for the de facto health insurance they already had.

That is what the masses of Trump supporters don't understand Op2. My wife works in health care. The majority of her patients are adults of working age on Medicaid that chose not to work, are disabled, or work but have a low level of income that qualifies them for the program. We the American taxpayer are already footing the bill now and will continue to foot the bill when Obamacare is repealed for current and future recipients. What percentage of the 20 plus million that will lose coverage under either the house or senate bill will rely entirely on Medicaid? I am sure it is substantial.

Repeal will overwhelm rural hospitals in lower income areas. See Appalachia

What we need to do is fix what we have and not kick 20 million off the new plan.

In many cases
turnipblood.jpg

Because there's nothing better than bankrupting the middle class to give shit away to other people. o_O

People are making a calculated choice that it's cheaper for them to pay the penalty tax than purchase insurance. It would be better for everyone to have more people in the pool of insurance and it would also be better for fewer people to be bailed out when something happens and they have no insurance (as others have already pointed out in this thread).

People are making a calculated choice that it's cheaper for them to pay the penalty tax than purchase insurance. It would be better for everyone to have more people in the pool of insurance and it would also be better for fewer people to be bailed out when something happens and they have no insurance (as others have already pointed out in this thread).

The problem is we 1) have a law in the ACA that never addressed cost and 2) the vast majority people paying into the insurance system a seeing it used by a small minority.

The ACA was a HUGE government handout designed to one thing. Cripple the middle class and force the hand for a single payer system. But until we address health care costs, as well as the lifestyle choices we make as Americans this problem is only going to get worse.

Reactions: TarHeelEer
The problem is we 1) have a law in the ACA that never addressed cost and 2) the vast majority people paying into the insurance system a seeing it used by a small minority.

The ACA was a HUGE government handout designed to one thing. Cripple the middle class and force the hand for a single payer system. But until we address health care costs, as well as the lifestyle choices we make as Americans this problem is only going to get worse.

ACA needs repealed. Take the heat over, "awww, the poor without coverage". it's better than the road we're headed down.

Then address costs. Then make it easier for co-ops to do their thing. Then limit insurance to actually insurance (catastrophic care), and pay out of pocket for the small things.

I would imagine most people on this board are not affected by Obamacare. I'm not either but one of my grown children is. She works a low paying job and her employer doesn't provide health care. She pays premiums she can't afford to have "health care" with ridiculously high deductibles and she would be bankrupted if she were to face a major medical problem. She's young, single, and healthy as an ox and it would be cheaper for her to take a chance and pay the penalty for not participating at all, but she's not made that way. Obamacare doesn't work for people that it was intended to help, like her. With a little cooperation from the Dems in Congress I'm certain that if not repealed, at least Obamacare could be healed.

Yes. Even when we buy insurance we still pay. So who is doing what about the cost of healthcare i America? Obamacare only made it worse.

Yes I clearly stated in a subsequent post that there are foundational flaws in the US health care system that need to be addressed.

How is that different from pre-Obama? People without insurance visited emergency room. All insurance policies were increased to hold the providers harmless. People complained, but it did not wreak havoc on the entire country and impact the rest of the country for 7 years to date.

How is that different from pre-Obama? People without insurance visited emergency room. All insurance policies were increased to hold the providers harmless. People complained, but it did not wreak havoc on the entire country and impact the rest of the country for 7 years to date.

If you don't have insurance and you get sick then you go to the emergency room and society pays. Before Obamacare you paid nothing and society paid everything. After Obamacare, if you didn't want to buy insurance then you had to pay whatever opt-out cost there was and then proceeded with your life without insurance. But then if you got sick and went to the emergency room and society paid, you at least had already paid something when you paid the opt-out cost.

I really don't know if Obamacare was a good thing overall or not but this one aspect of it at least seems good to me. "I shouldn't have to buy insurance OR pay an opt-out fee," people complain. Yeah, but if you don't pay anything and then you get sick society is still going to pay your costs. So IOW, you have insurance whether you like it or not so you should pay for it.

And if you say "I simply don't want insurance at all and if I get sick then society can just let me die. I'm willing to take that chance." Well, too bad, that's not what our society is going to do. We're not going to let people die because they don't have insurance. That's just the way things are.

If you don't have insurance and you get sick then you go to the emergency room and society pays. Before Obamacare you paid nothing and society paid everything. After Obamacare, if you didn't want to buy insurance then you had to pay whatever opt-out cost there was and then proceeded with your life without insurance. But then if you got sick and went to the emergency room and society paid, you at least had already paid something when you paid the opt-out cost.

I really don't know if Obamacare was a good thing overall or not but this one aspect of it at least seems good to me. "I shouldn't have to buy insurance OR pay an opt-out fee," people complain. Yeah, but if you don't pay anything and then you get sick society is still going to pay your costs. So IOW, you have insurance whether you like it or not so you should pay for it.

And if you say "I simply don't want insurance at all and if I get sick then society can just let me die. I'm willing to take that chance." Well, too bad, that's not what our society is going to do. We're not going to let people die because they don't have insurance. That's just the way things are.
Do people not get subsidy to help pay monthly insurance ?

That is a guaranteed supplement that the taxpayer pays thru increased tax. Absolute cost to the taxpayer. Pre-Obama, there was only a cost I F uninsured needs medical care that he cannot pay himself.

You see no difference in taxpayer absolute cost each month for the supplement cost of an insurance policy , Vs. A cost only IF the uninsured needs medical help??? Also, there may be possibility the uninsured can pay his own bill.

Guaranteed monthly cost for insurance or possibility of cost if he is uninsuredand money to pay bill. I prefer the gamble to the guarantee cost, and we don't know final until we read and litigate the final bill

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT