ADVERTISEMENT

‘A recipe for scandal’: Trump conflicts of interest point to constitutional crisis

WVMade

All-Conference
Aug 23, 2016
Experts say president-elect does not understand the law and must sell businesses to avoid electoral college disaster.
Constitutional lawyers and White House ethics counsellors from Democratic and Republican administrations have warned Donald Trump his presidency might be blocked by the electoral college if he does not give up ownership of at least some of his business empire.

“The brand is certainly a hotter brand than it was before,” Donald Trump told the New York Times on Wednesday, and his election victory buzz does indeed seem to have been good for business.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/27/donald-trump-conflicts-interest-constitutional-crisis

:flush::americanflag:

Experts say president-elect does not understand the law and must sell businesses to avoid electoral college disaster.
Constitutional lawyers and White House ethics counsellors from Democratic and Republican administrations have warned Donald Trump his presidency might be blocked by the electoral college if he does not give up ownership of at least some of his business empire.

“The brand is certainly a hotter brand than it was before,” Donald Trump told the New York Times on Wednesday, and his election victory buzz does indeed seem to have been good for business.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/27/donald-trump-conflicts-interest-constitutional-crisis

This. Greedy Donald...get the popcorn ready.

ok Clinton Foundation... lol
You want to investigate a retired old lady who reads books and hikes while ignoring POTUS Donnie? That makes sense. About as much sense as claiming voter fraud for a year then launching a 'defense fund' against efforts to expose it. Fckin genius.

:flush:
file.php

Reactions: moe
You want to investigate a retired old lady who reads books and hikes while ignoring POTUS Donnie? That makes sense. About as much sense as claiming voter fraud for a year then launching a 'defense fund' against efforts to expose it. Fckin genius.

file.php

Truly THAT is the only response of Trump supporters. Look at the Clintons.... I asked a question last week on this forum on what it would take for Trump supporters to be concerned. One of my examples was conflict of interest. Only one person mentioned that conflict of interest could be an issue. It is a massive issue. What happens when the DC Trump property demands a tax abatement for any reason? What happens when we don't sanction a country because it could impact his business dealings there? Or we withhold military support because a government once failed to facilitate a Trump business deal? Nearly every decision he makes from now until he leaves office is subject to a actual or perceived conflict; yet Americans elected him.

Reactions: WVMade
Libs still MAD.

I am not mad. I try to be objective. I don't have an agenda as I can and have votes for both parties. For some reason, Americans were willing to overlook one candidate's warts while not the others. That intrigues me. Obviously an issue for folks better versed in Poli Science than me.

If you read all the way down, the President is exempt from the same laws that other Congressman are not. Your premise is wrong, like most of drivel you post.

If you read all the way down, the President is exempt from the same laws that other Congressman are not. Your premise is wrong, like most of drivel you post.
Awesome. Trump can join a whole list of 'exempt' leaders from history. Adolph Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Saddam Hussein, Kim Jong-il, Kim Jong-un, Pol Pot, Fidel Castro, Donnie Trump.... 'Ol Donnie fits in nicely doesn't he?
file.php

Awesome. Trump can join a whole list of 'exempt' leaders from history. Adolph Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Saddam Hussein, Kim Jong-il, Kim Jong-un, Pol Pot, Fidel Castro, Donnie Trump.... 'Ol Donnie fits in nicely doesn't he?
file.php

Really pisses you off that your own post made your post incorrect, didn't it?

I am not mad. I try to be objective. I don't have an agenda as I can and have votes for both parties. For some reason, Americans were willing to overlook one candidate's warts while not the others. That intrigues me. Obviously an issue for folks better versed in Poli Science than me.

Donnie's words were pro American, HRC's word's are like Obamas, anti-American.

Donnie's words were pro American, HRC's word's are like Obamas, anti-American.

So what exactly was Pro-American? His calling Mexicans rapists and thieves? Was it when he called Marco Rubio "Little Marco?" Was it when he said he knew about ISIS than the generals? Get back to me on that one.

Trump seems to have received only a partial legal briefing on his exposure. Although the conflict-of-interest clauses do have a loophole for presidents, there is no such loophole for the “emoluments clause”, Article I, Section 9 of the constitution, which prohibits public officials from taking payments “of any kind whatever from any king, prince or foreign state”.

“Trump was totally wrong when he said the conflict of interest doesn’t apply to me,” said Norman Eisen, a former ethics counsellor to the Obama administration. “It shows he doesn’t know the constitution.

“The most fundamental conflict clause in the US constitution is the prohibition on emoluments on payments, presents or other things of value being given to American political officials including the president.”

Eisen, now a fellow at the Brookings Institution, added: “Because of [Trump’s] international investments he gets these payments, presents and things of value and he’ll be in violation of the constitution by the moment he takes the oath of office.”

So what exactly was Pro-American? His calling Mexicans rapists and thieves? Was it when he called Marco Rubio "Little Marco?" Was it when he said he knew about ISIS than the generals? Get back to me on that one.

No, it was when HRC said she was going to put a lot of mine workers out of work. Trump said he would re-negotiate treaties and repeal stupid regulations that have been hurting job growth in the US. That's what real Americans want to hear. Not some limp wristed, tea drinking swill that has been given the our populace over the last 20 years. His message was that of hope, where there will be job growth thru repeal of Obama's exec orders and he has already tried with Ford and now Carrier Air Conditioning. I don't really care what he called the Mexicans. If they don't like it, scurry back across the border.

Trump seems to have received only a partial legal briefing on his exposure. Although the conflict-of-interest clauses do have a loophole for presidents, there is no such loophole for the “emoluments clause”, Article I, Section 9 of the constitution, which prohibits public officials from taking payments “of any kind whatever from any king, prince or foreign state”.

“Trump was totally wrong when he said the conflict of interest doesn’t apply to me,” said Norman Eisen, a former ethics counsellor to the Obama administration. “It shows he doesn’t know the constitution.

“The most fundamental conflict clause in the US constitution is the prohibition on emoluments on payments, presents or other things of value being given to American political officials including the president.”

Eisen, now a fellow at the Brookings Institution, added: “Because of [Trump’s] international investments he gets these payments, presents and things of value and he’ll be in violation of the constitution by the moment he takes the oath of office.”
Somebody from the lawless Obama admin is rich. The Obama's foster stealing from the American tax payer to give to the people they want to vote for them. The Justice dept under Obama is the most corrupt it has ever been.

Somebody from the lawless Obama admin is rich. The Obama's foster stealing from the American tax payer to give to the people they want to vote for them. The Justice dept under Obama is the most corrupt it has ever been.
Fascinating stuff but I don't see what that has to do with the portion of the linked article that I posted. Trump has time to divest himself but he won't do it willingly if at all.

Fascinating stuff but I don't see what that has to do with the portion of the linked article that I posted. Trump has time to divest himself but he won't do it willingly if at all.

By law he doesn't have to divest, pretty simple. I don't believe much of what anybody says in the Obama admin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT