ADVERTISEMENT

WVU's starting corner Jenkins out for Saturday

amath13

Senior
Mar 5, 2012
Not that he was Deion Sanders anyway, but now WVU has to rely on a freshman corner to take his place. Not good. I'll be surprised if K. State isn't favored (Vegas spread) by Saturday afternoon.

Originally posted by TNewman41:

any word on Bailey?
Update he is now listed as day to day - which for this season means he's out. Alston has been 'day to day' for the past 3 games & hasn't played.

They're not likely to test the corners very often. As long as he doesn't give up a big play the 2-5 times they throw his way he should be fine. Missing a LB would be a much bigger deal in this one.

Originally posted by TheRedSon:
They're not likely to test the corners very often. As long as he doesn't give up a big play the 2-5 times they throw his way he should be fine. Missing a LB would be a much bigger deal in this one.
Have you seen our defense? lol Our starting corners are awful. Their backups are freshman & MUCH worse. K. State may not be a passing team & I know that won't be their game plan on Saturday - but I guarantee they will target our corners on 3rd & long situations. And more times than not they will be able to pick up the first down. Unless Klein is a completely incompetent passer, which I don't think he is. And deep balls are basically like throwing to an uncovered receiver.

I didn't mention how thin we are on the D-line either. We couldn't afford ANY injuries there this season because there is no depth at all. Well Will Clarke our starting defensive tackle went down in the Texas game & didn't play last week. He is also questionable for Saturday. With Clarke, we were giving up less than 3 yards per carry. Without Clarke on Saturday, Tech ran for 6 yards per carry. If we don't have him on Saturday, WVU may have the ball for about 5-6 possessions the entire game this weekend.
laugh.r191677.gif

Agreed. The only WR that will physically take him would be Harper. Speed wise your safeties should be able to keep Lockett and Thompson in front of them. I think the issue may come in running to the sidelines with hubert or klein. Need to make good reads on the blocking that will be in front of them. Especially with Harper. He is an outstanding down field blocker.
This post was edited on 10/16 4:05 PM by TNewman41

Calm down man. Your defense is bad. That doesn't mean Bill Snyder and Collin Klien are going to destroy your secondary. I'd be more worried about how well the fragment supports against runs to the outsides. Can he ahead a block on a reverse? Harper's the only KSU receiver with dangerous speed is Harper. This isn't the Baylor receiving corps with more speed than half the Olympic 4x100 teams, and as good as Klien is he can't throw deep like Florence or Ash. This game is going to come down to your front 7 most likely. K-State's deep threat, such as it is, is based on play action, and even when they complete long passes Klien usually isn't accurate/strong enough that defenders can't still get a tackle. It's a great offense, but it isn't anything at all like Baylor in scheme or personnel.

Just a point to correct you. Harper is not the burner. He is the muscle, physical possession guy. The guys who can really run are Thompson and Lockett.

Calm down man. Your defense is bad. That doesn't mean Bill Snyder and Collin Klien are going to destroy your secondary. I'd be more worried about how well the fragment supports against runs to the outsides. Can he ahead a block on a reverse? Harper's the only KSU receiver with dangerous speed is Harper. This isn't the Baylor receiving corps with more speed than half the Olympic 4x100 teams, and as good as Klien is he can't throw deep like Florence or Ash. This game is going to come down to your front 7 most likely. K-State's deep threat, such as it is, is based on play action, and even when they complete long passes Klien usually isn't accurate/strong enough that defenders can't still get a tackle. It's a great offense, but it isn't anything at all like Baylor in scheme or personnel.
I understand that Kansas State is a different type of matchup. They don't like to throw the ball a lot. But this is the worst defense I've EVER seen at WVU. Kansas State wants to control the ball on Saturday. And if they need to get out of a 3rd & long situation to continue a drive, it will be pretty easy. Our corners will play 10-12 yards off the ball in 3rd & 8 or 3rd & 9 situations. Easy pitch & catch for the 1st down. And while WVU has been okay against the run so far this year, that was with all of our d-line starters at 100%. That isn't the case anymore. We only have redshirt & true freshman behind the starters with a couple of them weighing in at a whopping 240 lbs. That's a huge concern going against K. State's versatile rushing attack. And yes I know that's a lot of negativity, but after seeing the results from this past weekend (WVU getting the snot kicked out of them & their only 2 Big 12 wins were vs. teams that also got the snot kicked out of them), I'm not too optimistic about the rest of the season.

Well, Texas tends to get the snot knocked out of them regulerly against OU under Mack against Stoops. It seems like they're close or Texas just isn't in the game. They usually then proceed to beat the far out of the rest of us (except Kansas State). Baylor would have been in their game if they had protected the football. Six turnovers tends to get you beat soundly though.

Hey, I didn't say you'd handle their offense, just that corners are probably the least of your worries. You might be better off with Klien throwing on third and long than him getting creative with his feet anyway. That's how they sustained drives against OSU last year. The guy just keeps getting up and doing it again.

You know, as bad as your defense has been it's still not the worst in this conference. It could be worse (Baylor), or you could have spent all offseason listening to your moderators and site owner tell you there were 11 NFL guys on your defense only to get torched against three consecutive Big 12 opponents, one of them with a backup QB (Texas). At least you knew your defense would struggle.

So I guess DeFo isn't the most popular guy in Morgantown right now...

Regarding Harper, Lockett, etc: I thought Lockett was very explosive last year. I read your comment wrong and figured you knew better than me and maybe he wasn't the same player after the injury. Apparently I have poor reading comprehension and outsmarted myself. Lockett was huge in Stillwater last year even without being a big factor in the passing game, and he's a tough customer. I thought Markelle Martin might have killed him a couple of times and he kept going in obvious pain. I figured later that's when the internal injuries happened.

Our fans are freaking the eff out about our defense because it is so much worse than we have seen is a long time. Even our worst defenses the last 10 years or so have been ranked in the 70's-80's and not 114th.

We move into an offensive minded conference and we have our thinnest youngest defense in forever. Just our luck I guess.

Well, Texas tends to get the snot knocked out of them regulerly against OU under Mack against Stoops. It seems like they're close or Texas just isn't in the game. They usually then proceed to beat the far out of the rest of us (except Kansas State). Baylor would have been in their game if they had protected the football. Six turnovers tends to get you beat soundly though.

Hey, I didn't say you'd handle their offense, just that corners are probably the least of your worries. You might be better off with Klien throwing on third and long than him getting creative with his feet anyway. That's how they sustained drives against OSU last year. The guy just keeps getting up and doing it again.

You know, as bad as your defense has been it's still not the worst in this conference. It could be worse (Baylor), or you could have spent all offseason listening to your moderators and site owner tell you there were 11 NFL guys on your defense only to get torched against three consecutive Big 12 opponents, one of them with a backup QB (Texas). At least you knew your defense would struggle.

So I guess DeFo isn't the most popular guy in Morgantown right now...
Our board owner definitely didn't try to pump up the defense. He's actually pretty honest about our teams. He'll tell us when we have issues. And none of our fans (except for a few delusional ones) thought we were going to have a great defense this season. We figured it would take a step back with a whole new coaching staff (for the most part ) on that side of the bal and a ton of young players in the starting lineup (which is never a good recipe). But no one thought we would have one of the worst defenses in college football. WVU & Baylor are pretty identical in terms of great offenses & horrible defenses. Geno is a better QB than Florence, but that's about the only difference. Both defenses are comical.

Our only chance to win games from here on out is for Geno & the offense to be at their best every single week. That's just putting a lot of pressure on those guys. They are only human & they are going to make mistakes. What's crazy is that we lost by 35 points on Saturday while winning the turnover margin (+2). What happens when we have one of those games where the ball bounces funny & we turn the ball over a bunch. Honestly, if we had a defense somewhere in the 70's or 80's, I'd be much more optimistic about our chances from here on out. But we don't. So our offense is going to have to score on just about every possession from now on in order to win games. That's just going to be tough.

By the way what happened with Kansas on Saturday? I figured you guys would take them to the woodshed? From what I read it appears that you were on the way to doing that until they switched QB's. Also read that the weather was bad, so I'm sure that had something to do with it as well. Do you think Lunt will work his way back into the lineup now that he is healthy?
This post was edited on 10/17 9:45 AM by amath13

Kstate always has issues with ISU in Ames. Lots of Big 12 teams seems to have problems just beating ISU down hard in Ames. The past few years they have beaten OSU and Nebraska in Ames. Now with that excuse out of the way, we played dumb and had too many penalties. A couple bad holding plays(not calls because they were holds) by our Full back cost us a few first downs.

Lockett was hurt in the Oklahoma State game last year and I believe it was a lacerated kidney or something.

You really have not seen K-State this year nor do you have any clue about our stats do you?

KSU is passing at a 70% completion rate and has a higher yard per down efficiancy than West VIrginia. That's a fact.

K-State will go with whatever the defense allows. We will throw very effectively. Our recevers are fast but not a tall as WVU's Our tight end is stellar and needs to get involved this game. I would expect KSU to run more because Snyder wants to keep Geno on the bench.

KSU has one of the most punishing offenses on the planet and will simply out muscle their opponents. thats what they do. Klein isn't in the heisman race because he sucks. He is a very fine Q-back and anyone who doesn't realize it before they play heim certainly get the picture after the game.

Originally posted by duke fame:

You really have not seen K-State this year nor do you have any clue about our stats do you?

KSU is passing at a 70% completion rate and has a higher yard per down efficiancy than West VIrginia. That's a fact.

K-State will go with whatever the defense allows. We will throw very effectively. Our recevers are fast but not a tall as WVU's Our tight end is stellar and needs to get involved this game. I would expect KSU to run more because Snyder wants to keep Geno on the bench.

KSU has one of the most punishing offenses on the planet and will simply out muscle their opponents. thats what they do. Klein isn't in the heisman race because he sucks. He is a very fine Q-back and anyone who doesn't realize it before they play heim certainly get the picture after the game.
I don't care what KSU's passing stats are, they will be doubled & perhaps tripled this weekend. I have never seen a secondary as bad as ours before. Your WR's won't be covered all day. It's truly astounding how wide open receivers get against our defense.

Your passing game works and is efficient because your ground game is so damn scary. I've seen almost every K-State game for three years. I've seen Hubert since he was a junior at Midway High. The K-State passing game is dangerous when you make mistakes in coverage or fall for a play fake. It doesn't kill anyone often outside of that or a missed tackle. My point was this though: playing a backup corner against KSU isn't the end of the world. It's not like the kid will have to guard Justin Blackmon with a QB that throws a faster ball than Peyton Manning with accuracy. As long as he makes the tackles after the catch it's hard to imagine him costing them this game. Missing a linebacker or DT against K-State could be a huge problem though. Snyder won't throw the football more than 5 times if he can get away with it.

Missing a linebacker or DT against K-State could be a huge problem though.
We might be missing a DT as well. Will Clarke missed last week & no one knows for sure if he is playing tomorrow. That's a HUGE loss as we only have freshman behind him and one of them weighs 240 lbs.

I think being #114 while playing in the Big 12 is probably fairly comparable to 70's and 80's in the Big East. There are four schools in the Big 12 that run a similar offense to West Virginia's. That doesn't include the very good offenses at Texas or Kansas State. The Big East has two high quality offenses right now in Cincinnati and Louisville, and neither of those programs are historically consistent, or even consistent the last decade. The Big 12 has 7, maybe 8 if TCU keeps it up with Boykin. I've completly changed the way I evaluate defense since the Leach influence took a strangle hold on this conference. Maybe later I'll have some time to share my possession based stats with you guys over here.

With regard to what happened in Kansas... Bad weather, injuries, poor game plan... Monken decided he would pound Kansas into submission. We failed on two 4th & shorts to start the game that were well within Sharp's range, even with the weather. He's about as god as it gets. Then we had the long storm delay. We made some plays in the second and third quarters. For the most part we shortened the game into a contest between our line and Randle, and occasionally the FB Staley, against however many guys they wanted to put in the box, and they used a lot. Randle's backup was out, and his backup was suspended, so Randle couldn't even get a breather. Once we were up 20-0 early in the fourth it became way too conservative and the parade of 3 & outs began. You can't ask any defense to handle that much time on the field and expect to come away unscathed, even against Kansas I guess. If Lunt had started that game in clear weather I think we win by 30+, even with the injuries we sustained during the game at receiver (both strting outside receivers, T Moore and Anderson were hurt in this one). Walsh made things a bit worse by having a bad day even when they called on him to throw. He did complete a good one to C Moore that went for 72 yards in the third. That was the first game since we went to Kansas State in 2010 without Blackmon that we failed to score 30, and I think we needed four fumbles for that to happen then.

Well, I was wrong. This is going to be a long season if they don't fix the issues in the secondary. There's still Kansas and Iowa State I guess, but everyone else in this conference can take advantage of that secondary if it doesn't improve. It shouldn't have been that difficult to defend Klien and Lockett, even as good as they both are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT