ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Ranking Devastating

Pitt4Life34

All-American
Nov 5, 2002
US News & World report's best college ranking came out. WVU was ranked #183. That is dead last for all P5 colleges. There is no hiding from that kind of ranking. Administration has let the University down. Pathetic!!! Anyone that doesn't understand why WVU did not get into the ACC or Big Ten is in denial. WVU has some work to do academically that's for sure. Better hope and pray expansion is done. One again the Big12 is a National embarrassment. Those rankings are devastating!

Once again the Big XII is a national embarrassment?

Go ahead and call me a homer, but those rankings are a sham and everyone knows it. They sure in hell aren't devastating or embarrassing as your big-worded adjectives suggest.

So calm down and don't over-react to everything anti-WVU.

Does WVU need to work on their academic standing? Sure they do.

But those rankings nourish the myth that the richest, most selective colleges have some corner on superior education; don’t adequately recognize public institutions that prioritize access and affordability; and do insufficient justice to the particular virtues of individual campuses.

US News & World report's best college ranking came out. WVU was ranked #183. That is dead last for all P5 colleges. There is no hiding from that kind of ranking. Administration has let the University down. Pathetic!!! Anyone that doesn't understand why WVU did not get into the ACC or Big Ten is in denial. WVU has some work to do academically that's for sure. Better hope and pray expansion is done. One again the Big12 is a National embarrassment. Those rankings are devastating!

University of Louisville #171 (tie)

How did UL make the ACC?

Reactions: torontoeers
Now spend some time going into the details as to the criteria used to arrive at their rankings. Really look into these facts before accepting this washed up magazine's opinion. We are talking 'academics'--the ability to train/teach people that which is necessary to become productive.successful citizens. How did they gauge the effectiveness of all these Colleges? I imagine they spent a lot of capitol on counting books in the library, endowment from the wealthy benefactors, and (maybe) how many foreign languages one may choose from. I am never impressed with such nonsensical rankings from a two bit publication that I (nor most folks I know) ever waste money purchasing. I DO have proof that the undergraduate education my son received was superb and well respected at those graduate schools to which he applied directly after getting his Bachelor's Degree. Among the school administrators and department heads with much good to say about his getting the degree from WVU were UVa, UNC, NCSU, Alabama and several others. WVU is not second or third or fourth rate as this publication is desirous of promoting (and you are wiling to propagate negatively!). My son graduated Phi Beta Kappa from WVU, maintained a 4.0 getting a Master's at UVA and an MBA at NC State. So please stow the negativism and gloating I detect in the note from you) and allow the successes of the alumni speak for the education quality available from WVU to those desiring to study and learn rather than party and brag about their immaturity.

Now spend some time going into the details as to the criteria used to arrive at their rankings. Really look into these facts before accepting this washed up magazine's opinion. We are talking 'academics'--the ability to train/teach people that which is necessary to become productive.successful citizens. How did they gauge the effectiveness of all these Colleges? I imagine they spent a lot of capitol on counting books in the library, endowment from the wealthy benefactors, and (maybe) how many foreign languages one may choose from. I am never impressed with such nonsensical rankings from a two bit publication that I (nor most folks I know) ever waste money purchasing. I DO have proof that the undergraduate education my son received was superb and well respected at those graduate schools to which he applied directly after getting his Bachelor's Degree. Among the school administrators and department heads with much good to say about his getting the degree from WVU were UVa, UNC, NCSU, Alabama and several others. WVU is not second or third or fourth rate as this publication is desirous of promoting (and you are wiling to propagate negatively!). My son graduated Phi Beta Kappa from WVU, maintained a 4.0 getting a Master's at UVA and an MBA at NC State. So please stow the negativism and gloating I detect in the note from you) and allow the successes of the alumni speak for the education quality available from WVU to those desiring to study and learn rather than party and brag about their immaturity.

JACOBS is another Pitt clown.

JACOBS is another Pitt clown.
I know. However, Many reading his remarks might mistake him for an intelligent being whose word MIGHT be meaningful. I take especial issue with reports and surveys (opinions) such as these rankings because they, truly, have little or nothing to do with the educational opportunity available at a given school.
I get especially amused when a school gets massive credit for having 'on faculty' an acclaimed expert on a certain topic. Woopee!! This person is probably within a given department far removed from any major in which my child may be interested. The lack of real understanding/maturity of the student (and, very possibly, the parents) is when a big deal is made of some aspect of the school's Medical school (or other professional school) and these kids are just entering College. A very few of these highly acclaimed souls EVER venture into an encounter with students other than those specifically studying the area of this person's reputation. Generally, the teaching of students who have enrolled in even, what sounds like, a remotely parallel course to that for which this renowned individual is known, is handled by graduate students (most often those very early in the graduate studies and doing this work to qualify for their stipend) and never the Professor. Early college education is very often soured by having to deal with inexperienced and totally uninterested grad students when they had ben led to believe that this school's faculty was renowned and among the best in the Country. Could be, but most students never get to see this side of things. Yet we have the ranking 'services' doing their superficial 'thing' and perpetuating myths through their true ignorance.

Reactions: denniskembala
while you have to take the rankings with a grain of salt, it is true that there are employers out there who make hiring decisions based on these rankings. It blows my mind that WVU isn't more selective with out of state students considering how much WVU has grown in the past 15 years. Would love to have that explained.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt4Life34

Eat shit pitt!

:middlefinger:

Why does Vernon let you stick around?

Reactions: torontoeers
I work with people from Duke, NC State and UNC. They are no smarter than me.

We do the same job and I perform as well if not better than them.

WVU's mission is much different than many in the acc.

Yes, Dr. Gee is working to change WVU's academic reputation. The BOG and he just set up WVU Beckley. That will help WVU's mission to educate many in southern west virginia and improve wvu's academic reputation.

He will have to do something similar in Parkersburg to continue that progress. He was president of Ohio State and Vanderbilt, so he knows what is required.

Or, the state legislature can change WVU's academic mission. But that may take forever.

Did not read. Cliffs please. Thanks.

Start a thread about the ACC. I'll jump in there. This thread is about how shitty the Big12 is once again.
No Greg, be honest for once. This is a thread about how shitty WVU is. Really this is the unspoken theme to all your posts. This time you just came out and said it.

That's pretty disappointing to read. Bottom line is that WVU's nonexistent admissions policy and lack of a feeder school system causes this, and until that changes our ranking will stay low. Everything else is just lip service. Basically they admit any in state student who applies, no matter how unprepared, and predictably many of those wash out when they can't cut it, and shoudn't have been there in the first place. So WVU's rankings get hammered on two fronts - a low admissions selectivity score and a high dropout rate.

The obvious solution is to use a feeder school concept. You put your marginal students there for the first year, where they can concentrate on studies in a smaller, less distracting environment, and if they do well they transfer to Morgantown to complete their education. And if they can't cut it they wash out of the feeder school rather than Morgantown. Thjis helps WVU both on the admissions selectivity side and also on the retention side.

Most state systems do something like that. You think any bonehead NC kid gets to go to UNC-Chapel Hill just because he wants to? No way. The marginal students start off at UNC-Asheville or UNC-Wilmington, etc, and if they can cut it, they can transfer in to Chapel Hill.

So now some of you can jump and say how that's undemocratic, unfair, not WVU's mission, favors Charleston kids, favors rich kids, is politically unfeasible, etc., and that all WV kids have some kind of inherent right to attend WVU in Morgantown no matter how incredibly unprepared they are. I understand the argument. You just have to know that WVU's ranking will not markedly improve until we employ a feeder school approach.

What's that newbie? You chasing me around my HBs? You're such a loser!
Did not read. Cliffs please. Thanks.
Did not expect you to read. I wrote it for intelligent readers with an attention span of more than 15 seconds. No 'Cliffs' needed for most on this board. They can read ad concentrate for decent lengths of time. Sad that your state does not allow for such luxury. SUGGESTION: if you have the skill, print it out and read one sentence eery hour until you have gotten through it all. Second choice would be to have somebody read it to you, VERY SLOWLY of course to allow better chance you might understand.

I know. However, Many reading his remarks might mistake him for an intelligent being whose word MIGHT be meaningful. I take especial issue with reports and surveys (opinions) such as these rankings because they, truly, have little or nothing to do with the educational opportunity available at a given school.
I get especially amused when a school gets massive credit for having 'on faculty' an acclaimed expert on a certain topic. Woopee!! This person is probably within a given department far removed from any major in which my child may be interested. The lack of real understanding/maturity of the student (and, very possibly, the parents) is when a big deal is made of some aspect of the school's Medical school (or other professional school) and these kids are just entering College. A very few of these highly acclaimed souls EVER venture into an encounter with students other than those specifically studying the area of this person's reputation. Generally, the teaching of students who have enrolled in even, what sounds like, a remotely parallel course to that for which this renowned individual is known, is handled by graduate students (most often those very early in the graduate studies and doing this work to qualify for their stipend) and never the Professor. Early college education is very often soured by having to deal with inexperienced and totally uninterested grad students when they had ben led to believe that this school's faculty was renowned and among the best in the Country. Could be, but most students never get to see this side of things. Yet we have the ranking 'services' doing their superficial 'thing' and perpetuating myths through their true ignorance.

LOL at emotional breakdown and denial going on in this post!!!

In the end a person gets out of school what they put in. The programs at wvu are accredited and that's all that matters. If wvu were to receive and invite from another power 5 conference it will come down to whether they feel we add to their bottom line. The academics excuse is hogwash.

Did not expect you to read. I wrote it for intelligent readers with an attention span of more than 15 seconds. No 'Cliffs' needed for most on this board. They can read ad concentrate for decent lengths of time. Sad that your state does not allow for such luxury. SUGGESTION: if you have the skill, print it out and read one sentence eery hour until you have gotten through it all. Second choice would be to have somebody read it to you, VERY SLOWLY of course to allow better chance you might understand.

Why would anyone read your jibberish? Dude you're a moron in denial.

Reactions: Spookycat2002
No Greg, be honest for once. This is a thread about how shitty WVU is. Really this is the unspoken theme to all your posts. This time you just came out and said it.

Not at all! Your narrative over the last year or so is pathetic. I support WVU financially more in one year than you have in your entire lifetime homer. This is a devastating ranking showing how far the Big12 is behind the feast of the P5s. WVU being ranked dead last is a black eye to anyone that isn't a blatant homer. You are so insecure you can't even call a spade a spade. LOL at you being owned by me! Louisville should be alarmed as well. But they are in the ACC and have no fears that the ACC doesn't have a long term GOR in place. The thread is simple.
1. WVU is dead last in best college ranking
2. If Big12 implodes then this may harm WVU
chances getting in another P5.
3. WVU Admin must address this
4. Outside of clueless homers this ranking is
devastating.

You are hopeless fan boy.

First I'm in the pay side as well. Vernon has reach out to me to lighten up when I respond to rude posters like you and I respectfully do as he asks. He runs a professiona and heathy HB. I would continue to come back because I grew up following and supporting WVU. I have family and friends that went to WVU. I have spent more time in Wheeling, Fairmont and Clarkburg than any tool that obsesses over my posts.

while you have to take the rankings with a grain of salt, it is true that there is employers out there who make hiring decisions based on these rankings. It blows my mind that WVU isn't more selective with out of state students considering how much WVU has grown in the past 15 years. Would love to have that explained.

I'm no Amin expert but it seems changes should be made.

First I'm in the pay side as well. Vernon has reach out to me to lighten up when I respond to rude posters like you and I respectfully do as he asks. He runs a professiona and heathy HB. I would continue to come back because I grew up following and supporting WVU. I have family and friends that went to WVU. I have spent more time in Wheeling, Fairmont and Clarkburg than any tool that obsesses over my posts.

You are not on the pay side. don't lie.

Not at all! Your narrative over the last year or so is pathetic. I support WVU financially more in one year than you have in your entire lifetime homer. This is a devastating ranking showing how far the Big12 is behind the feast of the P5s. WVU being ranked dead last is a black eye to anyone that isn't a blatant homer. You are so insecure you can't even call a spade a spade. LOL at you being owned by me! Louisville should be alarmed as well. But they are in the ACC and have no fears that the ACC doesn't have a long term GOR in place. The thread is simple.
1. WVU is dead last in best college ranking
2. If Big12 implodes then this may harm WVU
chances getting in another P5.
3. WVU Admin must address this
4. Outside of clueless homers this ranking is
devastating.

You are hopeless fan boy.
I realize you think you are so smart that no one knows you are a Pitt troll. We all know. Anybody that is as connected as you say you are, knows that the reason WVU is ranked low is admissions. It is the out going product that counts and is not measured. I was ask to team up with some other firms in Virginia for some VDOT work. Out of the 8 firms, 7 were started by WVU grads. Now keep in mind these firms were not owned by V-Tech grads despite graduating from a higher ranked school in their own back yard. You may call me a homer but I am doing damn good with your so called worst education.

What's that newbie? You chasing me around my HBs? You're such a loser!

fartmovie001.jpg

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I realize you think you are so smart that no one knows you are a Pitt troll. We all know. Anybody that is as connected as you say you are, knows that the reason WVU is ranked low is admissions. It is the out going product that counts and is not measured. I was ask to team up with some other firms in Virginia for some VDOT work. Out of the 8 firms, 7 were started by WVU grads. Now keep in mind these firms were not owned by V-Tech grads despite graduating from a higher ranked school in their own back yard. You may call me a homer but I am doing damn good with your so called worst education.

I never said one time that I was connected at WVU. Why are you such a goofball? I never said one time that WVU was a bad education. Why do you create Fake News? That ranking is a devastating reality that this staff will have to deal with on the recruiting trail. You guys in denial are pathetic.

I never said one time that I was connected at WVU. Why are you such a goofball? I never said one time that WVU was a bad education. Why do you create Fake News? That ranking is a devastating reality that this staff will have to deal with on the recruiting trail. You guys in denial are pathetic.
It must be difficult to keep up with all your lies. Actually you have been unable to do it as witnessed by the above posts. WVU has always been ranked low due to their admission requirements mandated by the state. That is likely not going to change. However the finished product has always been good. Try to be honest with yourself Greg. It would be a step in the right direction.

Reactions: pburg01
It must be difficult to keep up with all your lies. Actually you have been unable to do it as witnessed by the above posts. WVU has always been ranked low due to their admission requirements mandated by the state. That is likely not going to change. However the finished product has always been good. Try to be honest with yourself Greg. It would be a step in the right direction.
Try to be honest with yourself homer that would be a step in the right direction.

goodtry.jpg

Lies? You really are clueless. Yep double down on Fake News. You are such a homer!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT