ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Football Season Ticket Sales Continue Downward Spiral

tOSUGrad90

All-Conference
Oct 19, 2015
Only 27,300 season tickets have been sold to date. This is the SEVENTH consecutive year of lower season ticket sales for the Old Fold & Blew. By way of comparison, over 38,000 season tickets were sold before the 2007 and 2008 seasons. Regarding WVU's fan base, repeat after me: OVERRATED (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)...OVERRATED (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)...OVERRATED (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)...

Numbers are down across most of the country. It is part of the reasoning behind TV deals being so lucrative. It is cheaper to stay home. You should understand that being B10. We understand it as well.

Looking at single game sales, Missouri is a couple thousand tickets away, a month out, from being a sellout. I would be more worried if I was the fan of a team that didn't even play the team whose board I was squatting on. It says a lot about how your team is looking this year.

Numbers are down across most of the country. It is part of the reasoning behind TV deals being so lucrative. It is cheaper to stay home. You should understand that being B10. We understand it as well.

Looking at single game sales, Missouri is a couple thousand tickets away, a month out, from being a sellout. I would be more worried if I was the fan of a team that didn't even play the team whose board I was squatting on. It says a lot about how your team is looking this year.
Why worry....another Bowl trip and Back to back to back to back in the forecast!

Why worry....another Bowl trip and Back to back to back to back in the forecast!

People don't get you, but I do. Your persistence is hilarious. Facts be damned. 10 wins and unranked? Own coach voted his own team 11th? No wins vs a ranked team in 13 years?0-12? Make significantly less for tv rights than most houses are worth? Despite all this, you are dedicated to moral wins and Lamar Jackson.

You are one funny WVU fan posing as an idiot Marshall fan.

Most of the country doesn't include Columbus. The Bucks had 100,000 people at their Spring Game. I laugh at the WVU fans who think so highly of themselves as a fan base.

People don't get you, but I do. Your persistence is hilarious. Facts be damned. 10 wins and unranked? Own coach voted his own team 11th? No wins vs a ranked team in 13 years?0-12? Make significantly less for tv rights than most houses are worth? Despite all this, you are dedicated to moral wins and Lamar Jackson.

You are one funny WVU fan posing as an idiot Marshall fan.
That's too Machivellian for me....however, 1016 looks like a goodtime to be a Herd fan! Mounties, not so much although I think you delusional Cousins will play .500 on the gridiron!

Most of the country doesn't include Columbus. The Bucks had 100,000 people at their Spring Game. I laugh at the WVU fans who think so highly of themselves as a fan base.

They also have one douchebag on a non opponent page.

I know a few OSU fans, and not one of them has attended OSU or has lived in Ohio.

I'll stick with my home state school anyday.

I agree. It was much better to be a herd fan a thousand years ago.
Maybe they should hand out complimentary copies of The Prince up there to enhance season ticket sales! Many fine scholars in the academic wasteland to the North!

They also have one douchebag on a non opponent page.

I know a few OSU fans, and not one of them has attended OSU or has lived in Ohio.

I'll stick with my home state school anyday.
So, what's your point? I grew up in Ohio and graduated from The Ohio State University. The few OSU fans that you know (allegedly) are unusual, as I don't know a single Ohio State fan who lives in West Virginia, and has not attended tOSU.

Yeah, I understand Michigan will have close to 114,000 in the stands EVERY game. Attendance is down at WVU, and the reason is obvious. The product on the field sucks. It is what it is.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Maybe they should hand out complimentary copies of The Prince up there to enhance season ticket sales! Many fine scholars in the academic wasteland to the North!

Maybe they should hand out advanced copies of tests in the South.... again.

Better yet, maybe they should hand out bottles of Jack Daniels before SATs so you guys can start recruiting talented kids instead of your list of nobodies.

Better yet, maybe they should hand out bottles of Jack Daniels before SATs so you guys can start recruiting talented kids instead of your list of nobodies.
....but still better than just handing out MBA's to court favor in Charleston!

I grew up in Ohio and graduated from The Ohio State University. The few OSU fans that you know (allegedly) are unusual, as I don't know a single Ohio State fan who lives in West Virginia, and has not attended tOSU.

Out of all of the Ohio State fans you are the only one that is obsessed with WVU. Hints of a Herdiot pretender. You don't like us, we get it. Nobody cares.

So, what's your point? I grew up in Ohio and graduated from The Ohio State University. The few OSU fans that you know (allegedly) are unusual, as I don't know a single Ohio State fan who lives in West Virginia, and has not attended tOSU.

I am comparing it to how I saw no Patriots fans until they won the Super Bowl. I saw no Pirates fans for decades until they made the playoffs. I used to see Terps fans all over the place back in the Steve Francis days.... now nothing. I see Duke fans all over the f'n place yet not one from NC or one that attended.

However, no matter what, I always see WVU fans regardless of record. I am saying that OSU is Justin Beiber. Have they had success? Absolutely. Talent? Absolutely. However, it is represented by mostly front runner douchebags.

Reactions: old buzzard

Trust me, the worse thing that could happen to Marshall football would be if their recruits scored high enough test scores to not fall under Prop 48. Ask Doc how much he relies on props.

That was hard to take to be sure but those same tissues were employed by WVU fans shitting in their pants as well.

Full disclosure..... I took a shower during the first TD drive. I missed Van's fumble. I didn't shit my pants, but I had to get the Jeff Mullen stink off of me.

Full disclosure..... I took a shower during the first TD drive. I missed Van's fumble. I didn't shit my pants, but I had to get the Jeff Mullen stink off of me.
That turn of events was just unthinkable....when we fumbled on first down I told my wife, the game would end up in OT and we'd lose. If we just QB sneak three times and kick the FG, the games over but...

Trust me, the worse thing that could happen to Marshall football would be if their recruits scored high enough test scores to not fall under Prop 48. Ask Doc how much he relies on props.
Not nearly as much as you boys purport! If you look at the list of the best players we've had since we returned to I-A football, Vinny Curry might have been a prop but not sure, can't think of many others, they usually never make it to the field!

Only 27,300 season tickets have been sold to date. This is the SEVENTH consecutive year of lower season ticket sales for the Old Fold & Blew. By way of comparison, over 38,000 season tickets were sold before the 2007 and 2008 seasons. Regarding WVU's fan base, repeat after me: OVERRATED (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)...OVERRATED (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)...OVERRATED (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)...

"
For the fifth straight season, FBS attendance has seen a drop. Of the 127 teams, the 2015 average crowd was 43,933, according to the NCAA. That was a drop of 670 per game.

So, yes, WVU has seen a decline, but so have a lot of other schools. And, yes, some Mountaineers fans have been out-priced. But they too are not alone.
"

That turn of events was just unthinkable....when we fumbled on first down I told my wife, the game would end up in OT and we'd lose. If we just QB sneak three times and kick the FG, the games over but...

At that time, I was dating this girl. She was cute, but not overly hot (admittedly ). Her redeeming qualities? She was super sweet and had a rack that almost defied logic to someone of her smaller bulid(ended up being a jealous mess though a couple years later). She was a nurse, and had to go in for night shift that night. So, she got to watch the majority of the game with me. She had this thing where she liked to bang before either one of us went to work. I think it is because she wanted to make sure she wasn't being cheated on.

So, she taps me on the shoulder and says " I was going to let get some frustrations out on me at halftime, but I'm worried you'll put me in the hospital. I'll help you out, but you're staying seated". Anger banged into the hospital.... lol. That game almost got me cock blocked .

At that time, I was dating this girl. She was cute, but not overly hot (admittedly ). Her redeeming qualities? She was super sweet and had a rack that almost defied logic to someone of her smaller bulid(ended up being a jealous mess though a couple years later). She was a nurse, and had to go in for night shift that night. So, she got to watch the majority of the game with me. She had this thing where she liked to bang before either one of us went to work. I think it is because she wanted to make sure she wasn't being cheated on.

So, she taps me on the shoulder and says " I was going to let get some frustrations out on me at halftime, but I'm worried you'll put me in the hospital. I'll help you out, but you're staying seated". Anger banged into the hospital.... lol. That game almost got me cock blocked .
Well, glad you had a very good evening....mine was not so good, snatched defeat from certain victory and had to drive back to Louisville, 3:00 AM getting home, my wife swears I didn't say one word on the trip back! I taped the game but have never had the urge to watch it as I remember the collapse vividly! Rather had been in your shoes!

Well, glad you had a very good evening....mine was not so good, snatched defeat from certain victory and had to drive back to Louisville, 3:00 AM getting home, my wife swears I didn't say one word on the trip back! I taped the game but have never had the urge to watch it as I remember the collapse vividly! Rather had been in your shoes!
Given that our average margin of victory over MVU is 4 scores, one would think you would watch that game all the time. 0-12

ttp://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-attendance-home-crowds-drop-to-lowest-in-14-years/

College football attendance: Home crowds drop to lowest in 14 years

Major college football home attendance in 2014 dipped to its lowest average in 14 years as many schools continue to struggle to fill seats.

Football Bowl Subdivision crowds for home games averaged 43,483 fans per game, down 4 percent from 2013 and the lowest since 42,631 in 2000, according to a CBSSports.com analysis of NCAA attendance data. This marked the sixth straight season crowds were below 46,000 since they peaked at 46,456 in 2008.

The data counts only home games and not neutral-site venues. Figures represent the announced crowd totals schools reported to the NCAA and not necessarily actual attendance.

This was the first year the NCAA counted attendance from six new FBS schools: Georgia Southern, Old Dominion, Charlotte, Appalachian State, Georgia State and Texas San Antonio. But even when removing those teams from the calculation, the average for returning FBS schools (44,544) would be the lowest since 2002.

The good news: 72 percent of the top 25 attendance leaders experienced increases or remained the same (all of the top 25 were from Power Five conferences or Notre Dame). The bad news: Only 48 percent of the remaining Power Five schools maintained or increased their crowd average, and many schools in smaller conferences continued to decline.

Ohio State, which averaged 106,296 fans, ended Michigan's 16-year run atop the attendance leaders. Michigan dropped to third at 104,909 behind No. 2 Texas A&M (105,123).

The biggest increases among Power Five schools: Texas A&M (21 percent), Maryland (14 percent), LSU (11 percent), Mississippi State (10 percent), Rutgers (9 percent), Florida State (9 percent) and UCLA (nine percent). Texas A&M, LSU and Mississippi State expanded their stadiums this season. Maryland and Rutgers were new Big Ten members.

The biggest decreases in the Power Five: Purdue (28 percent), Pittsburgh (17 percent), Virginia (15 percent), Kansas (10 percent), Arizona State (9 percent) and Oklahoma State (8 percent).

Three powerhouse programs continue to see declines as they've struggled to win.

• Texas dropped to 94,103 per game, down 8 percent since the Longhorns' record-breaking crowds in 2009 when they played for the national championship.

• Florida dropped out of the top 10 attendance leaders with 85,834 per game. That's the fourth straight year the Gators were under 90,000 after consistently being above that benchmark.

• Michigan is down 7 percent in only two years after peaking at 112,252 in 2012.

The University of Alabama at Birmingham, which recently became the first major program to drop football in 19 years, had the second-largest FBS increase in 2014. The Blazers averaged 21,841 fans per game, better than 36 other FBS programs and up 107 percent from last year.

Conference breakdown

SEC: Once again it led the country in attendance, averaging a record 78,018 fans. Aided by expanded stadiums and Tennessee's fan resurgence, the SEC was up 3 percent. Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky and Vanderbilt were the only SEC teams with a decrease.

Big Ten: Average attendance was 66,939, down from 70,431 last year. That's largely because of introducing Maryland and Rutgers attendance figures -- which are below most Big Ten schools -- into the conference average. Nine of the 14 Big Ten schools improved their crowds.

Big 12: There was a slight dip (1 percent) to 57,624 fans per game. Six of 10 Big 12 schools increased crowds. For the second straight year, the Big 12 had its smallest average since 2005.

Pac 12: Crowds dropped 2 percent to 52,758 and they are down 10 percent since peaking in 2007. Pac-12 attendance leader UCLA ranked 19th nationally. Only four of 12 conference schools had an increase: UCLA, Arizona, Utah and Washington State. A couple of schools' decreases were very minor.

ACC: This league again was last among Power Five schools at 50,016, although its average was up 1 percent in the first year Notre Dame played a condensed schedule against the ACC. Fresh off a national championship, Florida State saw its crowds increase by 9 percent. Half of the ACC's teams had their attendance rise.

West Virginia 56,686 +7%

here you go herdiots... Time, Forbes & The Wall Street Journal

http://time.com/money/3208397/college-football-student-tickets-fans/
Why Students Aren’t Going to College Football Games

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/...l-attendances-do-remedies-exist/#47ef16b41cd5
Examining The Decline In College Football Attendances: Do Remedies Exist?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/at-coll...ections-likely-to-have-empty-seats-1409188244
At College Football Games, Student Sections Likely to Have Empty Seats

Is 82 your IQ? This thread is about season ticket sales, not attendance figures. Try and keep up, little lady....

How Michigan's Greed Alienated Fans: A Cautionary Tale For All College Football
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/roa...um-students-business-tv-ncaa-michigan-tickets

This spring, the Michigan athletic department admitted what many had long suspected: Student football ticket sales are down, way down, from about 21,000 in 2012 to a projected 13,000-14,000 this season.

The department has blamed cell phones, high-definition TV and student apathy sweeping the nation. All real problems, to be sure, but they don't explain how Michigan alienated 40 percent of its students in just two years -- and their parents, too.

How did Michigan do it? By forgetting why we love college football.

Iowa football faces largest ticket-sales decline in last 10 years
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ball-season-ticket-sales-gary-barta/29167897/

Texas Longhorns Football Season Ticket Sales in Decline
http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2013/7/31/4575822/texas-football-season-ticket-sales-in-decline

Maryland's football season ticket sales down 18 percent
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/27/marylands-football-season-ticket-sales-down-18-per/

CU and CSU football season-ticket sales lagging
http://www.denverpost.com/2010/08/27/cu-and-csu-football-season-ticket-sales-lagging/

Student football ticket sales declining slowly across nation
http://www.alligator.org/news/campus/article_ce6947c2-33ea-11e4-8cb5-001a4bcf887a.html

Boise State football season-ticket sales down 7 percent again
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sport...versity/bronco-beat-blog/article40749228.html

2014 attendance at LaVell Edwards Stadium the lowest since 1981
http://universe.byu.edu/2015/01/13/2014-attendance-at-lavell-edwards-stadium-the-lowest-since-19821/

BC's big revenue sports hit bottom, stirring scrutiny
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ng-scrutiny/iWqaOoo6ZnIIKyksVLYSGJ/story.html

Penn State trying to reverse trend of dipping season ticket sales
http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/08/penn_states_season_ticket_sale.html

After peaking in 2007, NFL attendance steadily has declined
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...in-2007-nfl-attendance-steadily-has-declined/

Last edited:
It's funny an Ohio state guy is all obsessed with all things WVU

Reactions: countryroads89
and by the way idiot... attendance IS about season tickets

some schools count students as 'season tickets'... some don't...

some schools include tickets in their tuition... some don't...

and by the way idiot... attendance IS about season tickets

some schools count students as 'season tickets'... some don't...

some schools include tickets in their tuition... some don't...
That makes no sense...you seem to be saying only season ticket sales count as game attendance. If I just walk up and buy a ticket to a WVU or MU game, my purchase doesn't count on the attendance figure?

I for one am honored that this fraudulent Suckeye fan is comparing WVU to Ohio State.. How lame is that.

Sup, T-Bone/WVUAllen? I thought that given your advance age, immobility, and broken ticker, you'd be dead by now! Have you convinced the Mods at BGN to kick everybody but you out of the Outhouse, so that you can "talk" to yourself under 10 different profiles, without having to answer to anybody else? LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT