WVU Release WVU Baseball Completes Season with Loss to Oklahoma

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Baseball Completes Season with Loss to Oklahoma

TULSA, Okla. (May 21, 2015) – The West Virginia University baseball team was eliminated from the 2015 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship and completed its season with a 6-1 loss to Oklahoma on Thursday afternoon at ONEOK Field.

West Virginia finishes its season with a 27-27 overall record, scoring one run on nine hits with one error. Oklahoma (32-26) advances after scoring six runs on 11 hits with two errors.

“I was really proud of our guys for the effort they gave to make it down here. We had to win three of our last four games and I really wanted to play in this tournament to get our younger guys experience,” coach Randy Mazey said. “We had so many question marks going into the season. We returned less innings pitched than any team in the United States. For us to grind out what we did during the season was impressive.

“I am really proud of our guys and I think they overachieved, especially the young players that have never played college baseball before. It is great that they got to do this and I think it will help us in the future.”

Junior left-hander Ross Vance (7-5) took the loss in 7.2 innings, giving up six runs on 10 hits with six strikeouts and two walks. Sophomore catcher Ray Guerrini had two hits, including one double and one run to lead the Mountaineers at the plate.

Oklahoma’s Robert Tasin (9-2) gave up one run on seven hits with five strikeouts and two walks in seven innings. Oklahoma was led offensively by Anthony Hermelyn’s three hits, while Sheldon Neuse drove in four runs with one hit.

Oklahoma took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first with a two-out double to left center field by Hermleyn to score Joshua Ake, who had an infield single to second base.

The Mountaineers broke through with their first run of the tournament in the bottom of the fifth as sophomore first baseman Jackson Cramer hit a two-out RBI single to center field, tying the game at 1-1. Guerrini scored from third base after singling to left field with one out.

The Sooners quickly retook the lead at 2-1 in the top of the sixth on a sacrifice fly to center field by Neuse to plate Kolbey Carpenter.

West Virginia had an opportunity in the bottom of the seventh as Guerrini led off with a double down the left field line, but a fly out and double play ended the threat.

Neuse broke the game open in the top of the eighth with a bases loaded double to center field, extending the Sooner lead to 5-1. Tasin brought the score to 6-1 with an RBI single to plate Neuse.

We were supposed to be down this year but I'm still disappointed. We have to see improvement next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT