ADVERTISEMENT

Which FB Conference has won the most national championships?

dogeered_again

All-Conference
Oct 25, 2007
http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/yo...ence-has-the-most-cfb-national-titles.html/2/

The real problem with this breakdown is that is fundamentally flawed! If you add the schools that won their national championship(s) while with the Conference they were in at the time, it changes things dramatically. For example, if you add Nebraska, Texas A & M, Colorado and subtract TCU from the Big XII you get 18. Likewise if you subtract Syracuse and Pitt from the ACC, you get a lower number. "Ain't statistics just great?

SEC would be my guess. Since 1932, Alabama has dozen or so. Tennessee has 6. LSU, Ole Miss, & Florida have 3. Auburn & Georgia have 2. Kentucky has 1,

That's like 30+. I doubt anybody else has that many.

Until the BCS era, there were two different polls which named champions. A lot of years there were multiple champions.
That also occurred once during the BCS era, for those of you who have already forgotten the 2003 season.

If you add the schools that won their national championship(s) while with the Conference they were in at the time, it changes things dramatically. For example, if you add Nebraska, Texas A & M, Colorado and subtract TCU from the Big XII you get 18.
No, you get only three. Just one of Nebraska's titles (1997), one of Oklahoma's (2000), and one of Texas's (2005) came while they were in the Big 12 and none of the A&M or Colorado championships happened during that time.

Using the "at the time" standard changes things a lot more dramatically than you think.

Another thing that is wrong is that if you all the number of championships up, you get 175. So who was the champion in 1845 since that is less than 175 years ago.

We'll claim it even though it was 20 years before our U. was founded!! Ha, ha!! However, there was that year in 1942 (I think) where WVU had the best record but didn't get the nod since a war was raging and there was no vote.

No, you get only three. Just one of Nebraska's titles (1997), one of Oklahoma's (2000), and one of Texas's (2005) came while they were in the Big 12 and none of the A&M or Colorado championships happened during that time.

Using the "at the time" standard changes things a lot more dramatically than you think.

I will concede that differential... there was the old Southwest Conference and let's not forget the old Big East either. I forgot about Miami! I don't have the time to dissect it further so, have at it!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT