ADVERTISEMENT

Where are the anti-Dana antagonists?

LSU seriously considered Holgorsen. They ultimately decided they thought the program was in overall good shape and wanted the continuity Orgeron brings.
Any consideration they showed Holgorsen went out the window after that putrid performance against Oklahoma. They didn't want Orgeron they only choose him because option A and B were gone. That fact they choose him over Dana shows they weren't really impressed with what Holgorsen has accomplished. The incompetence he displayed in the 1st half of the Oklahoma game said it all.

Any consideration they showed Holgorsen went out the window after that putrid performance against Oklahoma. They didn't want Orgeron they only choose him because option A and B were gone. That fact they choose him over Dana shows they weren't really impressed with what Holgorsen has accomplished. The incompetence he displayed in the 1st half of the Oklahoma game said it all.
Anyone who thinks a coach is hired or not based on one game is naive.

Reactions: -JY-
He hasn't won a big game in over 2 years. None of the teams you have mentioned outside of Clemson has really won anything of significance lately. Baylor's biggest claim to fame was beating a UNC team in The Russel athletic bowl but we saw what they were about when they played UCF in the fiesta. Cincy? so what. What the hell has Texas done since we've been in the Big 12. Their best team was in 2012 and they were 9-4 which isn't considered good by their standards. Okie state another fraud gets exposed when the bright lights are on.
You should probably stop watching and following the team if it makes you that miserable.

Year...6-5-1
Year...6-6
Year...7-5
Year...6-6
Year...9-2

Nick Saban's record before being hired by LSU.
Nick Saban also took over that program when it was under a cloud stocked it full of NFl talent. The big 10 is also a much stronger conference. The Nebraska fans will tell you they can't do no better because there in the Big 10 now.

Nick Saban also took over that program when it was under a cloud stocked it full of NFl talent. The big 10 is also a much stronger conference. The Nebraska fans will tell you they can't do no better because there in the Big 10 now.

His replacement at LSU won 8 games the previous year at Okie St........ "mediocre"

Why did Les get hired?

Blahahahaha. You're too much. Saban took over a team filled with talent. People wanted to fire him after his first year. Sports radio here was filled with people saying he can't call a game and he has no feel for the game. He lost to UAB his first year.

Hey knucklehead when is Dana gonna win a big game? Not gonna happen this year. Dana's agent is currently trying to use Houston as leverage. Sources at Houston chronicle say Dana is willing to change addresses. Good for us we might actually get a coach that can win a big game instead of choking in prime time.
Incompetence? You mean he fumbled the ball twice inside the 5?

The fact is, ColoradoMountaineer, is that if a new contract is revealed as being more than what you have said it will be it will mean that you have been full of doggy doo-doo all along.

Conversely it means that if the contract is similar to what you say it will be that means that I, and others, are full of doggy doo-doo.

I like the odds that I will not be one of the walking doo-doo containers.

Hello. Ive never been a huge fan. With that said we have a good record this year. There is no disputing that the conference is way down this year though. The two ranked teams we played steam rolled us by a combined 45 points. Our best win is a unranked K State at home by 1 point. I think you have to look at the body of work over the past few years. A 30-25 conference record with losing records against Oklahoma, kansas state, Baylor, TCU does not justify a big contract to me.
There is more to developing a consistent program than simply looking at cumulative W/L records. Give him a 5 year deal and reward the assistants so the staff remains consisted for several years and THEN evaluate what he has done. He inherited a program that was in a real tail spin and deteriorating fast. We moved from a 'kiddy playground' to a major stage and were not prepared for it from a personnel standpoint. All that is shifting to our benefit. We have accumulated some deficits that need to be reversed, but we are talking about some teams who have been unusually hot recently (in addition to long time perennial winners such as Oklahoma). This year really represents progress. Now we have an AD who seems to not know his A$$ from a pop gun and continually demonstrates his inability to make reasonable/rational managerial decisions. Fear the hiring of Lyons will be the act that side tracks the program and forces a new beginning, AGAIN.

He will get a bump in pay and maybe 2-3 year extension at best. 1 good year in 5 is nothing special and his 9-2 mark came against weak competition. The blue bloods passed on this guy simply because his overall body of work isn't impressive. Blue bloods wants winners not chokers and until they come knocking at the door Dana'a ability to strong arm in negotiations is limited.
Your naivety is laughable. You know zero about college football.

Reactions: WVU80ate
If Dana has done what you say then why has his name currently popped up in the Houston discussions? The ones who decide what Dana's value is are the AD's willing to offer him a job. Texas and Lsu passed on this guy because his overall body of work is not that impressive. Dana came into the season fighting for his coaching life. most in the national media were questioning his job status. One good season doesn't mean that he's elevated the program. He has no signature wins and was exposed by the only 2 decent teams he has played. Expect the Big 12 to be allot tougher next year. Winning 9+ wins in a down year is one thing but doing it next year when the competition is going to be allot stiffer will be another.
Could not disagree more. This good season speaks volumes that the program is moving forward. To do an adequate evaluation one must be willing to look at a variety of data inputs and not just the one that fits their personal narrative. Recruiting has improved--proof being the quality depth at RB, WR, OL, and others. Recruiting will continue to strengthen IF the staff is not gutted by the 'powers that be'. You reference the 'national media' as '...questioning his job status...'. I laugh at this. The national media are in lock step with each other--one writes a theoretical and many others pick it up and run with it as if it were established fact.The 'national media' are hardly worth listening to or watching when it comes to any policy or program decision.

Reactions: LUVPOWERFB
In the meanwhile,

4 wins
7 wins
8 wins
9+ wins

An AD's job is based in large part on trend analysis..... anyone see a trend?
Mark it on your calendar. Dana is trending upward. But he's also not the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think he's paid about right, maybe an attaboy bump upward on the next contract they sign, with a few years tacked on the end. But does WVU want to be committed to paying Dana $3.5 or $4 million a year to NOT coach the Mountaineers if he goes south. The buyout may be the sticking point.

Last edited:
Hello. Ive never been a huge fan. With that said we have a good record this year. There is no disputing that the conference is way down this year though. The two ranked teams we played steam rolled us by a combined 45 points. Our best win is a unranked K State at home by 1 point. I think you have to look at the body of work over the past few years. A 30-25 conference record with losing records against Oklahoma, kansas state, Baylor, TCU does not justify a big contract to me.
. Some of you guys just need to cheer for whoever is ranked #1. You're never gonna be happy cheering for WVU.

Reactions: TurningClock
Mark is on your calendar. Dana is trending upward. But he's also not the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think he's paid about right, maybe an attaboy bump upward on the next contract they sign, with a few years tacked on the end. But does WVU want to be committed to paying Dana $3.5 or $4 million a year to NOT coach the Mountaineers if he goes south. The buyout may be the sticking point.
Bret Bielema, Butch Jones, and Dan Mullen all make over $4mil. I don't think you're factoring market value.

Reactions: JoePaEer
Blahahahaha. You're too much. Saban took over a team filled with talent. People wanted to fire him after his first year. Sports radio here was filled with people saying he can't call a game and he has no feel for the game. He lost to UAB his first year.
He won a national championship in his last game at LSU. He also took over from that dumpster fire Dinardo

Your naivety is laughable. You know zero about college football.
Well tell me the last time he won a big game? The Saban's and Meyers of the world made their name by beating the best. Dana's made his name by beating creme puffs but if you knew anything about college football I wouldn't have to tell you this

Could not disagree more. This good season speaks volumes that the program is moving forward. To do an adequate evaluation one must be willing to look at a variety of data inputs and not just the one that fits their personal narrative. Recruiting has improved--proof being the quality depth at RB, WR, OL, and others. Recruiting will continue to strengthen IF the staff is not gutted by the 'powers that be'. You reference the 'national media' as '...questioning his job status...'. I laugh at this. The national media are in lock step with each other--one writes a theoretical and many others pick it up and run with it as if it were established fact.The 'national media' are hardly worth listening to or watching when it comes to any policy or program decision.
Well the national media are the ones who throw out names but at the end of the day they aren't the ones hiring coaches. To this point no Big time program has offered Dana a job so obviously they don't share your optimistic evaluation of the program. It would be great if someone did come in and pluck him away we might finally get someone who doesn't choke on the national stage.

There is more to developing a consistent program than simply looking at cumulative W/L records. Give him a 5 year deal and reward the assistants so the staff remains consisted for several years and THEN evaluate what he has done. He inherited a program that was in a real tail spin and deteriorating fast. We moved from a 'kiddy playground' to a major stage and were not prepared for it from a personnel standpoint. All that is shifting to our benefit. We have accumulated some deficits that need to be reversed, but we are talking about some teams who have been unusually hot recently (in addition to long time perennial winners such as Oklahoma). This year really represents progress. Now we have an AD who seems to not know his A$$ from a pop gun and continually demonstrates his inability to make reasonable/rational managerial decisions. Fear the hiring of Lyons will be the act that side tracks the program and forces a new beginning, AGAIN.
Since our time in the Big 12 most of the teams in the big 12 look like a kiddy playground when they play in Ooc games. Wvu was one of the favorites to win the Big 12 in 2012 shows you how much respect the conference actually has which is zero nada none.

Well tell me the last time he won a big game? The Saban's and Meyers of the world made their name by beating the best. Dana's made his name by beating creme puffs but if you knew anything about college football I wouldn't have to tell you this
I don't want to be a jerk, and I do respect your opinion. But....the fact is, Dana came here to a deeply depleted roster and jumped from the BE to the B12. It has taken time but he has things moving in the right direction now. He is approaching B12 depth....not there yet...but it is improving. Comparing Dana's tenure under his circumstances is not even remotely close to Saban at LSU or Alabama or UM's at UF or OSU. These are incomparable comarisons. It's not at all fair to Dana.

I don't want to be a jerk, and I do respect your opinion. But....the fact is, Dana came here to a deeply depleted roster and jumped from the BE to the B12. It has taken time but he has things moving in the right direction now. He is approaching B12 depth....not there yet...but it is improving. Comparing Dana's tenure under his circumstances is not even remotely close to Saban at LSU or Alabama or UM's at UF or OSU. These are incomparable comarisons. It's not at all fair to Dana.
You should look at what Mike McIntyre has done at Colorado. He took over a Colorado program that was in the same shape as Kansas and now its 4 years later and there playing in the Pac 12 championship game. Colorado doesn't have the greatest facilities and very minimal in state recruiting. The job he has done far exceeds what dana has accomplished as well as what Chris Petersen has done at Washington. 6 years is plenty of time to build the necessary depth to compete in the big 12 and since wvu has had the 2nd most NFL draft picks in that time period the lack of depth and talent is open to criticism. The Big 12 is extremely weak will see how well he does next year. Mike Gundy has competed for the big 12 title in 3 of the 5 years we have been members of the big 12 and in that time period he has only had 5 players drafted in the NFL and we had that alone last year.

Look CM ...I'll quit calling you a knucklehead. But you're just not thinking very clearly about this.

Dana has elevated this program and is respected for doing so. He has value on the open market. He, and his agent, will, or have already, negotiate a nice contract with WVU that will probably give him a decent raise, extend the contract length, and include some guarantees of some sort.

I am also willing to bet that Dana is as interested in seeing that his staff is taken care of as much as he is in his own security. Joe Wickline said he has never seen such camaraderie amongst a coaching staff... it's almost like family.

It took a few years to get this thing going. But ever since Gibby's return Dana has really taken a leadership role in developing a high quality P5 program. We may never reach the level of the blue bloods and stay there.... but I predict more often than not that we will nip at their heals and sometimes overtake them.

I think the future is bright and that it will be a lot of fun.
AND ... this new contract will be pointed at that future.

You have really summed it up perfectly with this post. It indeed has taken time for Holgrosen to get a firm grip on being a Head Coach. This is a very good coaching staff anybody without blinders on can see that.

I've criticized Holgrosen when it was deserved but I also wanted him to become a HC that helps my beloved Mountaineers achieve and be in the top #20 on a regular basis.

I'm familiar with the cycle that is up and down years. The Mountaineers were never a reload kind of team until this year at least it seems to be like that now.

How can any Mountaineer fan not consider finishing in the top 3 of the BiG XII with a possible great Bowl match up at seasons end. A bad or underachieving year.

How can these "fans" not see that recruiting has improved, depth has improved. Gaduation rates are on point, players are making it to the NFL. All these are signs of a football program that is being built up correctly.

He won a national championship in his last game at LSU. He also took over from that dumpster fire Dinardo
I was here. It wasn't a dumpster fire. It was a disappointing season but the program was loaded with talent. Dinardo had recruited very well. And Saban hadn't won anything when LSU hired him.

I listed several bug games including an Orange Bowl.

Why do we suffer trolls like CM on this board. He is not and never has been a Mountaineer fan.

When has he ever made ANY positive comment about WVU, the BIG 12, or anything related.

Obviously here just to create problems and put down WVU at every turn. Should be BANNED for his lack of input to the board and constant berating of the West Virginia program.

Bump!!!!!
I have no dog in this hunt, but want to point out that Herman also coached a third-string quarterback to the National Title in 2014-15, and is a member of Mensa. Having said this, Holgorsen has done a good of coaching offense, and should be given a chance to coach Grier, the most talented QB, by far, that he has had at WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT