ADVERTISEMENT

What are some of your favorite wing flavors to cook?

JLW71073

All-Conference
Aug 7, 2003
A friend is turning 40 and his wife asked me to handle the cooking and one of the things he wants is a bunch of wings for the party.

I have a great hot wing recipe I like but not everyone likes heat like I do so i thought about grilling other flavors. I was thinking about mild and maybe honey bbq.

Any ideas or recipes?

Hot honey bbq is probably my favorite. I don't have a recipe, though. I pretty much just just melt butter and mix in hot sauce, mustard, and honey until it tastes right.

Am I the only one that likes my wings naked and served with hot sauce and blue cheese on the side for dipping?

A good one from the test kitchens of rex rEERsie and New ManchesterEER. Buy some "veri veri teiyaki sauce" (expensive but the best)and jack it up with some crushed red pepper. We dry our own habaneros, red savinas and bhut jolokias.

Trust me on this one it will be a favorite of yours..Those two goons knocked this one out of the ballpark..

Veri Veri teriyaki..

This sounds very good. Technique question: When I cook my hot wings on the grill I cook until about 75% cooked, then remove and bathe in sauce and finish cooking. Would I cook the wings you mention in the same method? Seems like yes.

Daytona style, huh? I'd watch that with the teriyaki sauce. There is a lot of sugar in it and will burn very easy. For me the entire trick to a good wing is crispiness. Therefore i always finish my wings and hold them in a warm oven and sauce the wings in small batches as I eat them..

I was worried with the teriyaki sauce and burning. Good idea on the warm oven. I'll have to think through this since this will most likely be an outdoor party. Might still be able to use the oven. Maybe it's time to invest in a fryer?
3dgrin.gif

You could keep no coals on a third of the grill for warming. I will say this, for anyoe who is serious about cooking wings, a turkey fryer is a must..

Excellent idea. I have the turkey fryer burner. Well the burner now fires my boil kettle for brewing. I would just need a new Aluminum stock pot maybe. Long story on why I need a new one. But involves a drowned opossum.

Yeah, get ya' a new pot and buy a cheap thermal gun. Can't go wrong, buddy. Fast, clean and the best part is the smell is outside..

What makes it so much better than everything else ??

Not trying to be a wiseguy; just trying to understand. But outside price.....which obviously implies some superior recipe.....what would you say makes this particular brand of teriyaki better than everything else ??

That Veri Veri and red pepper DOES sound good; my family happens to LOVE teriyaki wings, and this could be a nice variation on the your basic Kikkoman teriyaki marinade. Unfortunately, we don't dry our own peppers
3dgrin.gif

That's us

I've NEVER made a breaded/battered wing at home......and we chow 'em down.

Re: What makes it so much better than everything else ??

Much thicker than standard teriyaki with a lot of candied ginger. Trust me on this one, Cool. Really good stuff for glazing grilled or fried meats..

Re: nope

that is how I learned to eat them at Lof's.

We often go to Buffalo Wild Wing, get them naked with their Hot on the side. Closest thing to Lof's you can get. Wish they had Lof's curly fries to go with them.

Re: I often will pan fry them

actually quite easy and much less oil than a deep fryer.

Maybe a 1/4 inch of oil in the pan preheated, add the wings and let them fry on one side for 9 minutes or so. Flip them and do the other side. The skin will crisp up beautifully. Not much oil clean up.

Of course this method is for a dinner for one since you don't want to overcrowd the pan. I get about 10 wings at a time out of a normal 12 inch pan.

If you fry a lot, yes a fryer is a good investment.

Re: What makes it so much better than everything else ??

Good enough.....

I see Amazon wants almost as much to ship as it does to buy the sauce. Gonna' see if I can find it locally first......we have ONE specialty supermarket that just MIGHT carry something like this.

Fox's Pizza Den was the first place I had a sandwich (probably more a hoagie than anything else) made from a pizza crust, which they call a "wedgie".

DAMNED good.......

Yup used to get those as well. Only sandwich where warm lettuce and tomato is acceptable.

If you make it to the Southern part of the state, pop in Geno's and grab a pub which. Very similar.

I think you meant Gino's...

...and you don't have to go to the southern part of the state, they have locations in Weston and Bridgeport these days (the Bridgeport one is in a Go-Mart). I haven't tried the "pubwich" yet, but their pizza is not bad when you're tired of the national brands.

BCM is spot on. Turkey fryer is the key for making good wings at home. Smell and mess is outside and clean up is a breeze.

So I was talking with my friends wife last night about this party I am supposed to cook for. She informaed me that there could be as many as 50 people with no kids. So if I plan on cooking enough wings to feed everyone I was thinking 10 per person so 500 wings. Or would I back that down to say 300 considering many of the women won't eat wings. Seems like a lot fo wings too cook in a non professional kitchen.

There will be other appetizers besides just the wings.

too many. If you are going to have more food than just wings, I would think 6 per person would leave you about 10-20% extra which is good. So no more than 300 and if you would like, cut it to 200 and just run out.

Just my $.02

I use the veri veri teriyaki for my grilled teriyaki wings... I stab the wings with a knife a few times and marinate them in the veri veri teriyaki and then keep basting them with it as I grill them... I use Sweet Baby Ray's for my BBQ wings because I like it more than my BBQ sauce and I make my own Hot Sauce...

I may have to fire up my grill this weekend now...thanks a lot...lol

mix real maple syrup with diced chipotle chilis in adobo sauce. You regulate the heat by the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT