ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football at Baylor

"Like just about every other team in the country, West Virginia's roster saw a lot of turnover this offseason thanks to the transfer portal. Twenty scholarship players left the program with seventeen of them finding new homes"

June 16th 2023: https://www.si.com/college/westvirg...vu-lost-gained-through-the-transfer-portal-23
I will give give Neal credit on this, it’s obviously much harder being a HC at this level than when any other WVU HC was here. Granted every program is going through this as well. However, how can any HC expect to build anything resembling a program? Seems the future is gonna be what Holgorsen and Deion Sanders were trying—-live off the portal. College sports as we knew it is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: deedoubleyou
Listened to Cowherd today in the car..he said Caleb Williams made 5.5 million in NIL this year..more than all but one coach and the majority of the players for the LA Rams..a pro team,,wonder what Pat White could have pulled? back in the day..a restaurant couldn't give players a free meal..now they can as well as anyone else as long as they get a photo..NIL..name IMAGE and likeness

Last edited:
  • Wow
Listened to Cowherd today in the car..he said Caleb Williams made 5.5 million in NIL this year..more than all but one coach and the majority of the players for the LA Rams..a pro team,,wonder what Pat White could have pulled? back in the day..a restaurant couldn't give players a free meal..now they can as well as anyone else as long as they get a photo..NIL..name IMAGE and likeness
I’m not even sure Pat White stays at WVU with the transfer portal. I’m not even sure we flip Noel Devine from Florida State, let alone have a chance to get a 5star like him. It’s all changed and for schools like WVU, I’m not sure we will ever see the days again where we have a shot at a NC.

5.5 million to play college football, wow. Its hard to watch all this happen to such a great sport that so many of us love. I wonder when fans/coaches/schools will have enough, and push back, if ever?

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
There needs to be a separation of school and athlete now. Why are we pretending this isn’t minor league football? Why are we pretending these kids are students and getting an education? It’s pure BS
100% agree with your take. It's definitely not for the education anymore. They should just let High School seniors Go Pro like they do in basketball. It wouldn't fix it but it might set the stage.

I'm not sold on him at all yet, but it's hard to fire a guy who went 8-4 with a 13 mil buyout. Now, let's hope he actually improves forreal and leaves no doubt next year. Otherwise, the buyout is much cheaper and there will be pressure.

That OU team finished 8-4...........so want to talk about "throwing out select parts of the data"?
1982 Sooners' other losses than to #19 WVU were #3 Nebraska by 4, #15 USC by 12, #6 ASU by 11. Those were all season end rankings and Oklahoma themselves finished #16 that year.

Again you only present a very small part of the story. How many times must I teach you this lesson old man?

I’m not even sure Pat White stays at WVU with the transfer portal. I’m not even sure we flip Noel Devine from Florida State, let alone have a chance to get a 5star like him. It’s all changed and for schools like WVU, I’m not sure we will ever see the days again where we have a shot at a NC.
2007 was our last and best shot. Thanks RR.

I'm not sold on him at all yet, but it's hard to fire a guy who went 8-4 with a 13 mil buyout. Now, let's hope he actually improves forreal and leaves no doubt next year. Otherwise, the buyout is much cheaper and there will be pressure.
He was only gone this year if he had a catastrophic year. I just fear if he has 2 more seasons just like this, admin might keep him around and we end up with Holgorsen 2.0.

He was only gone this year if he had a catastrophic year. I just fear if he has 2 more seasons just like this, admin might keep him around and we end up with Holgorsen 2.0.
I get that fear for sure, and sadly I think Holgs even has an edge over Neal, at least based on results he does. We will see what happens. I still think he's a dud HC, but he does seem to be evolving a little in certain areas, so maybe he gets over the hump.

Man I gotta tell all you Brown lovers though. I try to believe in this guy I really really do, but when he gets on the radio, it usually ruins any progress I've had in that area. Hoppy had him on last week and Brown said his thing, and the opening was really good and he said all the right things and I was like yeah man, ok, go Brown..... but then all the sudden, you can literally hear the wimp come out in his voice when he starts talking about all the difficulties hes faced while at WVU. He started in it with "I'm not trying to make excuses, but, insert any of his multiplr excuses here" So, no way, sorry but I'm back to square 1 with him lol. Neal BRown just needs to STFU about all of that, seriously its a bad look. Its a sign of insecurity and weakness. He a damn football coach. Grow a pair dude, no one except BRU and the gang cares about the excuses. Someone close to him needs to tell him to stop. Tell it to your friends, not the hot mic dude, come on.

I get that fear for sure, and sadly I think Holgs even has an edge over Neal, at least based on results he does. We will see what happens. I still think he's a dud HC, but he does seem to be evolving a little in certain areas, so maybe he gets over the hump.

Man I gotta tell all you Brown lovers though. I try to believe in this guy I really really do, but when he gets on the radio, it usually ruins any progress I've had in that area. Hoppy had him on last week and Brown said his thing, and the opening was really good and he said all the right things and I was like yeah man, ok, go Brown..... but then all the sudden, you can literally hear the wimp come out in his voice when he starts talking about all the difficulties hes faced while at WVU. He started in it with "I'm not trying to make excuses, but, insert any of his multiplr excuses here" So, no way, sorry but I'm back to square 1 with him lol. Neal BRown just needs to STFU about all of that, seriously its a bad look. Its a sign of insecurity and weakness. He a damn football coach. Grow a pair dude, no one except BRU and the gang cares about the excuses. Someone close to him needs to tell him to stop. Tell it to your friends, not the hot mic dude, come on.
I thought he had the mentality to match and possibly exceed Holgorsen. I was most confident in the fact that were he to not pan out, he would leave the program in a better spot than he inherited it which is a low bar to clear. Unfortunately the NIL and transfer portal has made it to where that upside is gone because one year is all it takes to completely gut a roster. So now it all about creating a scheme and culture that wins games even with having to plug and chug some mercenaries in year to year. And in that regard we have seen ZERO growth from year 2 to 4. Some from year 4-5. Depth issues are only marginally better than year 1 and 2 and regardless of the NIL and transfer portal influence, it is an obstacle the HC must overcome to be successful.

The growth Neal has shown through 5 years is just much slower than what coaches who have gone on to have great success have shown historically and in he new NIL/transfer portal era. So the odds are any improvement we see is still a ceiling of Holgorsen like level which is vacillating on either side of average year in and year out with few exceptions until proven otherwise. So after 5 years, I say he gets 2 seasons to deliver a signature season like 2005 and only 1 .500 or less season before it is replacement time barring some huge factor like a PW or Geno level player going down.

if there was some coaching guru out there, he's probably already the head coach of one of the 132 other schools..schemes..half-time adjustments..so fun to talk about..if my dawgs are bigger and faster than yours..you lose..regardles of your X's and 0"s

if there was some coaching guru out there, he's probably already the head coach of one of the 132 other schools..schemes..half-time adjustments..so fun to talk about..if my dawgs are bigger and faster than yours..you lose..regardles of your X's and 0"s
There will continue to be good coaches come up through the system as long as the sport is in existence. New great coaches will arise. Old great coaches will get old. WVU took a chance on brown being one of the next good ones to come to through the ranks. So far it doesn't look like he will be one of the really good ones. We may have to keep looking if we are going to find that but maybe not. Maybe brown proves all the doubters wrong. WVU is certainly worthy of it.

I thought he had the mentality to match and possibly exceed Holgorsen. I was most confident in the fact that were he to not pan out, he would leave the program in a better spot than he inherited it which is a low bar to clear. Unfortunately the NIL and transfer portal has made it to where that upside is gone because one year is all it takes to completely gut a roster. So now it all about creating a scheme and culture that wins games even with having to plug and chug some mercenaries in year to year. And in that regard we have seen ZERO growth from year 2 to 4. Some from year 4-5. Depth issues are only marginally better than year 1 and 2 and regardless of the NIL and transfer portal influence, it is an obstacle the HC must overcome to be successful.

The growth Neal has shown through 5 years is just much slower than what coaches who have gone on to have great success have shown historically and in he new NIL/transfer portal era. So the odds are any improvement we see is still a ceiling of Holgorsen like level which is vacillating on either side of average year in and year out with few exceptions until proven otherwise. So after 5 years, I say he gets 2 seasons to deliver a signature season like 2005 and only 1 .500 or less season before it is replacement time barring some huge factor like a PW or Geno level player going down.
Very well said! I agree with what you are saying. We will see how it pans out. He has another shot to prove himself as it is now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT