ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia and Pitt extend hoops Backyard Brawl

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – West Virginia University and the University of Pittsburgh have agreed to a four-game series extension in men's basketball, Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker announced today.

The two teams will play in Pittsburgh during the 2024-25 and 2026-27 seasons and will play in Morgantown during the 2025-26 and 2027-28 seasons.

"There is no question that this is one of the best rivalries in college athletics and has produced some great games through the years," Baker said. "The rivalry is not only good for the two universities but also their fans. I want to thank Heather Lyke and the Pitt administration for supporting the renewal of this series, which is a win for college basketball."

After both teams departed the Big East following the 2011-12 season, the two teams met six times (three at WVU and three at Pitt) from 2017-23. The 2020 meeting was canceled due to COVID-19. West Virginia won five of those six meetings.

The Mountaineers have won six of the last seven meetings in the Backyard Brawl. The two teams have met 190 times in all-time series play that began in 1906 with WVU leading, 101-89.

"The Backyard Brawl is great for both schools, the fanbases and especially for college basketball," Interim Head Coach Josh Eilert said. "I have been at WVU for 17 of these games, and without question, they are our biggest rival. For the last six years, it's been one of the highlights of our nonconference schedule and will certainly be for the next four years. I would like to thank Wren Baker, our administration and Pitt for extending the Backyard Brawl."

Specific game dates for each game in the series will be determined prior to the respective season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT