ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting Morgantown

Willie-Vdogg

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
I'm looking forward next weekend with Kansas State plays you guys. I'll be coming to town on Thursday so I'll have all day Friday to tour the area. Are there any areas that are can't miss when I'm in town. I'll be driving in from the Washington DC area because our family is visiting that area prior to heading to WV. So if there are any areas I need to see on my way to Morgantown that might be interesting I would appreciate the info!

It also appears hotels are at a premium so are there are towns nearby that have decent rates on rooms Friday night?

Thanks in advance.

W-V

Coopers Rock will be a perfect place to stop on your drive from DC. it's t the top of mountain before make you way down to Morgantown.

where are you staying at in Mo'Town?

Coopers Rock

It's not fancy, but there's an Econo Lodge in Morgantown with a restaurant next door. I stayed there the last time I was in Morgantown and it was more than sufficient. Motel and Hotel rooms are hard to find, so you take what you can get. Econo Lodge is part of the Choice Hotels company so you can book a room through their website. If they have any left that is...

Hotels are always difficult, so good luck there. If you are looking to start back toward DC after the game, there are some hotel options along I-68, mostly once you get into Maryland.

As far as places to see, another park that I always found pretty cool was Cathedral State Park. Best to hit that either on your way in or your way out. It's a little out of the way for your trip, but you don't get a chance to see much virgin forest these days. I would also count Cooper's Rock as a must see. If you are looking for spectacular views, Cooper's is definitely the winner out of those 2. Cathedral has a very calming feel about it. It feels a little like walking back in time, at least it did to me.

This post was edited on 10/11 12:55 PM by mule_eer

Cathedral

You most likely will not find a hotel in Morgnatown or any surrounding area. Most people book hotels up almost a year in advance to football season.

Try Pittsburgh or somewhere on your way from Washington D.C.

Re: They might be able to find something in Uniontown, PA**

Originally posted by JLW71073:
wvu
Yeah, I always forget about Uniontown, or even Washington, PA. Just across the border of WV/PA.

As for Western MD (all within 30 to 45 minute drive from Morgantown), here are some good options:

I've stayed at this Holiday Inn Express and it's pretty nice.
http://www.hotelsone.com/breezewood-hotels-us/holiday-inn-express-breezewood.html

Never stayed at this Mircotel but it is cheap and very close to Morgantown...good option if you only care about a clean room/place to sleep.
http://www.hotelsone.com/morgantown-hotels-us/microtel-morgantown.html?
as=g&aid=9369116438&dsti=262198&dstt=8&label=ggehoeu-bh262198&akw=hotel%20microtel%20morgantown&asrc=Search&ast=&gclid=CMHhuqru-bICFQqZ4AodfFMAkg

WISP Ski resort is a pretty area with plenty of lodging options.? There's no snow but they have a fun carts that you can ride down the mountain.? Worth a quick visit for photos. 45 minute drive to Morgantown. You can also see various condo/house rentals for Deep Creek Lake/WISP at VRBO.com.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocalMaps-g41261-d267493-Wisp_at_Deep_Creek_Mountain_Resort-Area.html

Penn Alps, located in Grantsville, MD is a cool, little restaurant (Pennslvania Dutch/ Amish workers) with very good, hearty food.? Worth a stop and it has some interesting shops and nice stone bridge out back.
http://www.pennalps.com/ordereze/default.aspx

Sorry. I may have linked to the wrong Mircotel. There is one near Bruceton Mills, WV off of I-68

This post was edited on 10/11 6:03 PM by MOUNTIE IN MD

This post was edited on 10/12 10:31 AM by MOUNTIE IN MD

Coming in from Western Maryland we have stayed in Frostburg, MD and La Vale, MD (near Cumberland) both about an hour's drive from Morgantown. Both towns have decent motels with prices about half that of Morgantown and are right off I-68.

Good luck and hope you have a fantastic trip and enjoy Morgantown and WV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT