ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated fast food chains

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
I think the most underrated chain may be Sonic.

Their burgers really are pretty decent.....fresh, hot, and I appreciate the foil bags in which they serve them, making them easier to eat tthan most when in the car. I also find the tots quite a nice change of pace from fries. On the other hand, I consider Sonic to be on the pricey side.

Another chain making what I consider to be an underrated burger is A&W.

Sonic has disappointed me every time I've fallen for their TV ads....and that includes several of their locations in at least 3 different states, and as a result I have given up on them. To me, A&W burgers taste like institutional food (think high school lunch or hospital cafeteria food). Some of the absolute best fast food I've had lately is 5 Guys Burgers and Fries....good, old fashioned hand formed burgers topped any way you want them at no extra charge, and more fresh cut french fries than you can eat.

Guess we're not on the same page, eh buzzard ?? BTW, I personally don't view Five Guys to be in direct competition with Sonic and A&W (or McDonald's and BK, for that matter), though I realize that might be a personal distinction. I myself think they have more in common with the quick-serve chains like Applebees and Fridays.

FWIW, it's my opinion Five Guys is one of those places we all may need to enjoy while they're still around. It's always had the look to me of a chain who runs the risk of eventual implosion based on sheer weight. The owners seem to have a borderline fanatical obsession with sheer growth and market share; without virtual military-level Managerial rigor, this approach has been proven an almost foolproof recipe for failure.

Perhaps the owners understand the challenges, but I've seen other chains (like, for example, Boston Market and Fuddruckers) largely fail when their owners ultimately weren't up to the task. Maybe FG's owners have used those mistakes as a roadmap as to what to do (and not to do). But, when you see so many locations opening so quickly in so many markets, it just presents so many Managerial challenges that have nothing to do with burgers and fries.

Hope I'm wrong about that, because I like (though no longer love) Five Guys myself.

This post was edited on 7/21 12:15 PM by COOL MAN

My thoughts on Sonic are that the main entrees- the burgers and chicken sandwiches are pretty mediocre. It's the other stuff that I think they do really well. I love their tater tots, cherry limeade, banana splits, etc. The Chicago dog is pretty good, too.

I gotta disagree with ya on this one bud. I think Sonic burgers are awful.

If you want to talk under rated fast food let's talk Chik Filet. The food is fresh and delicious. There's not a better hot n spicy chicken sammich out there. And the waffle fries rock too.

One chain we don't have that I wish we did is Steak n Shake. Its been awhile since I ate there but I do remember their burgers being really good.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Exactly who underrates Chick-Fil-A ??

Other than when Knox was bitching about them being closed on Sunday the other day, I don't think I've ever heard a single negative thing about that chain from anyone. And from my own anecdotal observations, their restaurants are consistently as busy.....or busier.....than any other in the fast food business.

This post was edited on 7/21 9:23 PM by COOL MAN

Re: Exactly who underrates Chick-Fil-A ??

I actually appreciate the fact they're closed on Sunday. Used to be Sundays everything was closed and people could spend time with their families. I say kudos to the owners of Chik-fil-A!

Only ate at 5 guys once and thought it was average. Ate at Steak-n-shake a couple of times and thought it was average also with small portions and overpriced.

I agree on the Five Guys. I don't think their burgers have much flavor. I think Tailpipes on High Street is much better.

Hardees. Pretty good burgers, fries and chicken.

Sonic has never impressed me, despite their aggressive marketing.

How about Panaro's? (sp)

I've had some pretty good sandwiches and soups there at times.

I was excited to try five guys when they came to charleston but I was let down. I have to agree with the OP, sonic has a solid burger. They had a jalepeno burger that was delicious but I think they took it off the menu.

Re: How about Panaro's? (sp)

I'm not a big fan of Paneras Bread. Small portions and over priced imo. The food is fresh and pretty good though.

How about Sheetz? I know a lot of people who turn their nose up at "gas station food" but Sheetz has a good variety and is made to order. I've always had good experiences with their food and I appreciate that you can mostly see the food being prepared. I think their health standards are in line with or better than a lot of the fast food chains, I have never had any illness from their food and I have never had hot food that was cold or cold food that was hot, which is more than I can say for a lot of the chains around.

I agree with that. Pretty good Steak and Cheese and Meatball subs. Better than subway IMO, with a much larger menu.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT