ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble in ACC land?

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
FSU hasn’t been happy since when the BIG 12 first realigned— looks like they are getting even more serious about leaving now:

FSU fires warning shot to ACC: ‘Something has to change’​

excerpts:

Factor in everything else that goes into conference payouts, and Alford said FSU faces a $30 million annual gap that might extend more than a decade.

“At the end of the day, if something’s not done, we cannot be $30 million behind every year compared to our peers,” Alford (FSU AD) said.

and this nugget:

One trustee asked if a buyout to leave the ACC was “even feasible.”

“That is an excellent question,” answered Carolyn Egan, FSU’s vice president for legal affairs and general counsel.

Egan said the ACC’s exit fee is three times its annual operating budget. That equals about $120 million.

If FSU could make up $30 million per year, a trustee asked, does that mean the Seminoles would break even in about four years?

“Hypothetically,” Alford said.

FSUs AD lays it out- no ACC spin possible on this- they are NOT content to stay as is in the ACC.

As predicted once the precedent has been set that a GOR can be broken, the dominoes are going to start falling quicker now. I predict within the calendar year FSU and Clemson along with a few others (B1G will look West, SEC will look into UNC/Duke for political clout) will announce their intentions to join either the B1G or SEC.

This will further escalate a merger of the other 3 leftover conferences that will essentially serve as a feeder for the SEC/B1G in the new world order. WVU will be left out for sure, but we’ll probably get to play our old friends Pitt, VT, BC, and Syracuse again really soon.

Once the two money hungry shitbag conferences have completed their mission of destroying collegiate sports for a quick buck and there are no gains left on the table for expansion, they’ll look within at some point and start kicking out the leeches.

Last edited:
The SEC and B10 for awhile at least arent just going to play themselves. WVU is in the third conference which is likely going to be among the schools played.

Nothing to be done about that but the disintegration of the ACC will provide WVU more opportunity to again play schools that didnt want to be in conference with WVU but may find themselves there anyways.

Texas and OU only paid FOX about $ 20 mil to get out of that portion of the GOR. ESPN made the remaining schools somewhat whole in the new deals. Seems that those contracts wont hold up indefinitely- there will be a number to meet that will be acceptable to everyone at some point. Seems that at some pt Clemson, FSU, maybe some others are going to do whatever to get out. Maybe this public display is setting up the legal reasons to exit.

Last edited:
The SEC and B10 for awhile at least arent just going to play themselves. WVU is in the third conference which is likely going to be among the schools played.

Nothing to be done about that but the disintegration of the ACC will provide WVU more opportunity to again play schools that didnt want to be in conference with WVU but may find themselves there anyways.

Texas and OU only paid FOX about $ 20 mil to get out of that portion of the GOR. ESPN made the remaining schoolsn somewhat whole in the new deals. Seems that those contracts wont hold up indefinitely- there will be a number to meet that will be acceptable to everyone at some point. Seems that at some pt Clemson, FSU, maybe some others are going to do whatever to get out. Maybe this public display is setting up the legal reasons to exit.

ACC and PAC losing key members means that they, along with the Big XII will be lumped into the “lesser” conferences and essentially puts all of us on the “2nd tier” of college sports, it will be a net negative to WVU when all of the power is inevitably concentrated into two leagues.

I actually do anticipate the SEC and B1G to simply “play each other” almost, if not completely exclusively in football to minimize the chance for an upstart from the other conferences. Guarantee the powers that be never want to see another TCU story ever again, and after spending 20 years pussy footing around destroying programs/conferences they perceive as inferior, I expect them to fully take their ball and go home after this next round of expansion.

Whatever it will cost to get Clemson, FSU, and whoever else out of the ACC GOR will be chump change in comparison to what it will mean to monopolize the sport. Once it’s done the only shoe left to drop is kicking out the Vandy’s of the world who were essentially grandfathered into an NFL-lite they never intended to be part of.

Last edited:
ACC and PAC losing key members means that they, along with Big XII will be lumped into the “lesser” conferences and essentially puts all of us on the “2nd tier” of college sports, it will be a net negative to WVU when all power is concentrated into two leagues.

I actually do anticipate the SEC and B1G to simply “play each other” almost, if not completely exclusively in football to minimize the chance for an upstart from the other conferences. Guarantee the powers that be never want to see another TCU story ever again, and read they make it that much harder for everyone else to compete after spending 20 years pussy footing around destroying programs/conferences they perceive as inferior, I expect them to fully take their ball and go home after this next round of expansion.

Whatever it will cost to get Clemson, FSU, and whoever else out of the ACC GOR will be chump change in comparison to what it will mean to monopolize the sport. Once it’s done the only shoe left to drop is kicking out the Vandy’s of the world who were essentially grandfathered into an NFL-lite they never intended to be part of.
Everyone not already in the B10 or SEC has been considered in a “ lesser“ conference even though it hasn’t ever been true. They get paid more No different than before. The BIG 12 though has a new media rights deal and guaranteed national exposure and inclusion into the 2030s ( at least.). Meanwhile the PAC is hovering over collapse and the ACC is just an ended contract from the same- both in lesser financial situations than WVU and the BIG 12.

The SEC and B10 aren’t just playing each other anytime soon so can’t worry about that until maybe the 2030s and after that everything may be different. Not worried about them only playing themselves because too many “ big name” schools will find themselves on the losing end of the stick. Instead they make it harder for everyone else to keep up and make it easier to defeat them ( thinking only money plays a part there when that just has never been true.)

Agree that at some point they’ll start dropping some schools in the B10 or SEC but that’s a ways off too.

Last edited:
Not worried about them only playing themselves because too many “ big name” schools will find themselves on the losing end of the stick.

I agree but all they need to do is create their own 12 team playoff and promote parity among themselves and this concern goes away. I don’t expect for a second UT, OU, Clemson, LSU, whoever are just gonna sit there and accept being an afterthought once they get dealt a few under .500 seasons from the gauntlet schedule they are asking for. They will expand their playoff and try to make it an NFL-level of competitive from top to bottom.

Big 12 is safe, even without Texas and Oklahoma, because of the 7 schools replacing the 2 escapees. Pac-12 is in most trouble. ACC is next to be most-damaged. Big 12, Big 10 and SEC will rule football and basketball and be the de facto NCAA!

Big 12 is safe, even without Texas and Oklahoma, because of the 7 schools replacing the 2 escapees. Pac-12 is in most trouble. ACC is next to be most-damaged. Big 12, Big 10 and SEC will rule football and basketball and be the de facto NCAA!
Big 12 is safe because nobody else wants the leftovers.

Did you forget you were logged in as CFE?

I agree but all they need to do is create their own 12 team playoff and promote parity among themselves and this concern goes away. I don’t expect for a second UT, OU, Clemson, LSU, whoever are just gonna sit there and accept being an afterthought once they get dealt a few under .500 seasons from the gauntlet schedule they are asking for. They will expand their playoff and try to make it an NFL-level of competitive from top to bottom.
They can’t create their own playoff, the networks would have to do that and it’s doubtful they would see interest in a narrowed playoff for just two conferences consisting of the likes of Rutgers, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Missouri, etc.

They’d only get limited viewership, people aren’t going to adopt these teams as they have NFL teams . College fans root for their college— those schools aren’t playing then the viewership and money goes away.

The playoff is expanding for inclusion of more schools to try to save college football, not to make it so the same 4-6 schools be in it and no one else every year.

It’s true the BIG 12 is valued by the major networks who have placed the BIG 12 in a position to continue as a major conference, despite all the out of conference and UT, Ou trolls who have tried to tear down the conference and it’s schools for years on end now.

And once more, we are stuck in a conference with their head in the sand while the B10 and SEC will reap the rewards of being aggressive and proactive. Mark my words, the ACC is ripe but the PAC-whatever and, more importantly, Big12 aren’t far behind on being raided once more.

Who are the 7 schools replacing Texas and Oklahoma?

They can’t create their own playoff, the networks would have to do that and it’s doubtful they would see interest in a narrowed playoff for just two conferences consisting of the likes of Rutgers, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Missouri, etc.

They’d only get limited viewership, people aren’t going to adopt these teams as they have NFL teams . College fans root for their college— those schools aren’t playing then the viewership and money goes away.

The playoff is expanding for inclusion of more schools to try to save college football, not to make it so the same 4-6 schools be in it and no one else every year.

The majority of CFB’s audience is with the marquee programs, everyone else is schedule filler. I believe they will figure out a way to dump truck some lesser programs that have been grandfathered in, but probably 10+ years out from that. It won’t be the TV juggernaut that the NFL is, but the high quality inventory will definitely give them all a collective ratings boost per game.

And once more, we are stuck in a conference with their head in the sand while the B10 and SEC will reap the rewards of being aggressive and proactive. Mark my words, the ACC is ripe but the PAC-whatever and, more importantly, Big12 aren’t far behind on being raided once more.

There is no card in the deck the Big XII, PAC, or ACC (and the Big East before them) can or could have played to reverse the inevitability of CFB devolving to where we are.

There is no card in the deck the Big XII, PAC, or ACC (and the Big East before them) can or could have played to reverse the inevitability of CFB devolving to where we are.
Perhaps. It would have showed me some initiative if the Big 12 immediately scooped up some PAC teams months ago when they were wounded. I’m sure they aren’t caring about impressing me though. Just more of the same keep your head in the sand while everything around the conference crumbles down that we’ve seen for years.

Perhaps. It would have showed me some initiative if the Big 12 immediately scooped up some PAC teams months ago when they were wounded. I’m sure they aren’t caring about impressing me though. Just more of the same keep your head in the sand while everything around the conference crumbles down that we’ve seen for years.

What PAC teams actually bring value and mutual benefit? Oregon and Washington are the only two that move the needle but I’m sure they are expecting to join UCLA and USC in the Super conferences soon, so why would they join a conference that was also just raided? The rest of the schools don’t make us any less vulnerable than we already are and essentially would just be adding schools just to add schools and I’m sure those programs all think that it should be Big XII programs coming to them just like we think PAC programs should be coming to us.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
What PAC teams actually bring value and mutual benefit? Oregon and Washington are the only two that move the needle but I’m sure they are expecting to join UCLA and USC in the Super conferences soon, so why would they join a conference that was also just raided? The rest of the schools don’t make us any less vulnerable than we already are and essentially would just be adding schools just to add schools and I’m sure those programs all think that it should be Big XII programs coming to them just like we think PAC programs should be coming to us.
I would rather be picking up the Arizonas and Colorados of the world than some of the teams we just picked up. And why not swing for Oregon? Why not swing for some ACC teams as it’s clear that they’re on the clock. Instead the conference is going to sit around until Ok State and Baylor get poached and replace them with SMU and North Texas.

Playoffs are expanding so more SEC and Big 10 teams make it in.

Also ND will not have to go unbeaten to make it anymore.

There will only be 1 G5 team make it.

I would rather be picking up the Arizonas and Colorados of the world than some of the teams we just picked up. And why not swing for Oregon? Why not swing for some ACC teams as it’s clear that they’re on the clock. Instead the conference is going to sit around until Ok State and Baylor get poached and replace them with SMU and North Texas.
If Oklahoma State and Baylor were getting poached they would be gone already.

Florida State is close to achieving AAU status. When that happens I could see the BIG talking to FSU. This would not only make money for FSU athletically but academically. So here what I see FSU and the ACC doing.

1. Making a new TV deal. They have to try, if not they will lose out and get left way way behind the BIG and SEC

2. FSU, Clemson leave for greener pastures which will break up the ACC. I see 8 teams leaving the ACC for the BIG and SEC. Schools like FSU, Clemson, UNC and even Miami can make so much more money somewhere else.

3. The ACC tries to make Notre Dame Join. If ND joins a new TV deal can be struck to where more money can be made within the conference. If this happens look for the ACC to add one more team perhaps a UCONN or somebody.

4. Reconfigures revenue sharing. I think that this is the most unlikely because if you are a school like Wake Forest why would you vote on making less just so FSU, Clemson can make more and widen the gap within the conference.

Now back to point two here is where I think teams will go if the ACC breaks up

UNC, FSU, UVA, Notre Dame to the BIG, if not ND then GT will go to the BIG

Clemson, VT, NC St, Miami or Duke to the SEC. Duke could go to the BIG due to their AAU rating but I think the BIG goes football first.

Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, GT(if they do not got BIG) Miami or Duke if they do then maybe Wake Forest, to the Big 12. I think the Big 12 will go after 4 Mtn West teams and the rest of the Mtn West will go PAC

Boston College , maybe Wake Forest to the AAC with UCONN and Army

Last edited:

From Arizona and Colorado’s perspective what does coming to the Big XII do for them? Likewise what does going to the PAC do for Baylor and OK State. Just lateral moves that don’t change the reality that the B1G and SEC can come in and destroy the conference whenever they feel like it. As for the ACC, the Big XII does not have the capital to buy out a GOR contract, and certainly aren’t doing it for anyone other than Clemson or FSU who would never take the Big XII’s call.

Florida State is close to achieving AAU status. When that happens I could see the BIG talking to FSU. This would not only make money for FSU athletically but academically. So here what I see FSU and the ACC doing.

1. Making a new TV deal. They have to try, if not they will lose out and get left way way behind the BIG and SEC

2. FSU, Clemson leave for greener pastures which will break up the ACC. I see 8 teams leaving the ACC for the BIG and SEC. Schools like FSU, Clemson, UNC and even Miami can make so much more money somewhere else.

3. The ACC tries to make Notre Dame Join. If ND joins a new TV deal can be struck to where more money can be made within the conference. If this happens look for the ACC to add one more team perhaps a UCONN or somebody.

4. Reconfigures revenue sharing. I think that this is the most unlikely because if you are a school like Wake Forest why would you vote on making less just so FSU, Clemson can make more and widen the gap within the conference.

Clemson, VT, NC St, Miami or Duke to the SEC. Duke could go to the BIG due to their AAU rating but I think the BIG goes football first.

Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, GT(if they do not got BIG) Miami or Duke if they do then maybe Wake Forest, to the Big 12. I think the Big 12 will go after 4 Mtn West teams and the rest of the Mtn West will go PAC

If UT eventually grew tired of having an entire conference bend to their will, along with disproportionate revenue then I don’t see it happening for Clemson and FSU, not to mention UT is a significantly larger brand and market than those two and their “underlings” in UNC, Duke, UVA, and GT are not the type to take orders from football centric schools. They can renegotiate, try to defer more power to them, but end of the day, the ACC is toast, it’s really just a matter of when.

Notre Dame is never going to join the ACC, they will be the last one to join the B1G.

I don’t see the SEC having any use for schools not named Clemson, FSU, UNC, and Duke (maybe UVA, they seem to have clout for some reason). VT, and NCSU are nobodies, and Miami will be 30 years removed from relevance by the time they actually start playing SEC games. Miami was a pioneer of recruiting from “the hood” but those days are long gone and never coming back as everyone does it now.

As for the rest of the schedule filler schools, they’ll be with us in some sort of alliance. There will probably begrudgingly be an autobid for the best of the 30 or so schools left out to compete in the playoff to avoid being sued, or to appease politicians.

Last edited:

Somebody's been drinking early.

Somebody's been drinking early.
Just speculation but as soon as Florida St gets AAU status the BIG will come calling and will be able to pay more to schools like UNC, FSU, UVA ect who align with the BIG academically not just in athletics . So if you get several schools to break up with the ACC and you very well might, this could very well happen. I would say the top$$$ earners in the ACC are Florida St, Clemson, UNC. I am reading that they get less $$$$ from the ACC than they bring in to the conference. So that's three teams not happy with that set up. I bet you can get 5 more schools to join these three that is not happy about being left in the financial dust with some teams in the SEC and BIG. No way Clemson , FSU , UNC are going to be ok with making 30 million less a year than say Vandy, Purdue, Indiana , Northwestern, Mizzou ect. in athletic funding, let alone academic funding. So yea you are looking at tens of millions a year in athletic and academic monies. Yea I can see FSU, UNC, UVA, GT, DUKE, all wanting to jump ship at that. Plus this expands the BIG footprint into some of the fastest growing states in the US with some of the best athletic talent. Yea I am the one drinking. This makes too much sense

Last edited:
Just speculation but as soon as Florida St gets AAU status the BIG will come calling and will be able to pay more to schools like UNC, FSU, UVA ect who align with the BIG academically not just in athletics . So if you get several schools to break up with the ACC and you very well might, this could very well happen. I would say the top$$$ earners in the ACC are Florida St, Clemson, UNC. I am reading that they get less $$$$ from the ACC than they bring in to the conference. So that's three teams not happy with that set up. I bet you can get 5 more schools to join these three that is not happy about being left in the financial dust with some teams in the SEC and BIG. No way Clemson , FSU , UNC are going to be ok with making 30 million less a year than say Vandy, Purdue, Indiana , Northwestern, Mizzou ect. in athletic funding, let alone academic funding. So yea you are looking at tens of millions a year in athletic and academic monies. Yea I can see FSU, UNC, UVA, GT, DUKE, all wanting to jump ship at that. Plus this expands the BIG footprint into some of the fastest growing states in the US with some of the best athletic talent. Yea I am the one drinking. This makes too much sense
Yes I guarantee they do but I see FSU, Clemson to SEC. California, Stanford to Big 10. Pac swallows up some of MWC, ACC goes AAC and Sun Belt and Big 12 takes whatever they can piece together. Even if it's a mixed bag of nuts like Basketball only schools. The Big 2 form their own organization with a commissioner of the new league and not some money making corporation like NCAA.

Everyone left out will be streaming their games.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
Yes I guarantee they do but I see FSU, Clemson to SEC. California, Stanford to Big 10. Pac swallows up some of MWC, ACC goes AAC and Sun Belt and Big 12 takes whatever they can piece together. Even if it's a mixed bag of nuts like Basketball only schools. The Big 2 form their own organization with a commissioner of the new league and not some money making corporation like NCAA.

Everyone left out will be streaming their games.
I see what you are saying but the BIG wants to expand it's footprint. They are already going to be in Cali. Stanford maybe but Cal no. Look to the sunbelt states for the Next BIG expansion

I see what you are saying but the BIG wants to expand it's footprint. They are already going to be in Cali. Stanford maybe but Cal no. Look to the sunbelt states for the Next BIG expansion
I understand they want a footprint but don't be surprised if the SEC and Big 10 haven't worked out a deal to where one stays north the other stays south. The battle for ND will be the last card in the deck. They will basically be forced into one or the other by being blocked out if those two bigs go their separate ways away from NCAA.

What do we know though. The Big 2 could change their conference names and leave out the Vandy's and Duke's of their conferences.

I understand they want a footprint but don't be surprised if the SEC and Big 10 haven't worked out a deal to where one stays north the other stays south. The battle for ND will be the last card in the deck. They will basically be forced into one or the other by being blocked out if those two bigs go their separate ways away from NCAA.

What do we know though. The Big 2 could change their conference names and leave out the Vandy's and Duke's of their conferences.
That kind of blew my mind a little with both SEC and BIG working together to create a two conference league. That makes some sense.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
The BIG 12 teams are not in danger of poaching.

FSU, Clemson, Washington, Oregon are the next most likely to be poached

From Arizona and Colorado’s perspective what does coming to the Big XII do for them? Likewise what does going to the PAC do for Baylor and OK State. Just lateral moves that don’t change the reality that the B1G and SEC can come in and destroy the conference whenever they feel like it. As for the ACC, the Big XII does not have the capital to buy out a GOR contract, and certainly aren’t doing it for anyone other than Clemson or FSU who would never take the Big XII’s call.
Arizona and Colorado would gain alot of revenue and exposure on major college networks in new time slots. No chance of any BIG 12 going to PAC now.

The BIG 12 will receive more money if they add PAC schools per their new media rights deals. Adding Pac schools will also provide new media windows and territory for advertisers and sponsors as well as more stability in the conference.

I guarantee the deal to USC and UCLA was an insurance that in due time there will be an entire West Coast division. The footprint is national, the storyline is going to be the Southeast (SEC) vs the rest of the country (B1G). I see the B1G grabbing KU, Oregon, Washington, Stanford (assuming Stanford wants to be part of this, as they are basically Ivy League they maybe opt to deemphasize football) and maybe one of the four corner schools (CU, Utah, or UofA).

The majority of CFB’s audience is with the marquee programs, everyone else is schedule filler. I believe they will figure out a way to dump truck some lesser programs that have been grandfathered in, but probably 10+ years out from that. It won’t be the TV juggernaut that the NFL is, but the high quality inventory will definitely give them all a collective ratings boost per game.
The majority of viewing is with a few schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama. Not all the schools in their conferences. Is that because they are the most promoted and the most exposed in the best time slots? Well now all the fans of the other schools in the BIG 12 aren’t watching Texas or Oklahoma and helping their ratings, they’ll be watching BIG 12 games. Some schools in the BIG 12 will get high national ratings as they win games and are exposed and promoted in the top tv slots the conference can acquire.

Most fans of non SEC or Big Ten schools aren’t going to waste time on either of those conferences at all.

The BIG 12 will receive more money if they add PAC schools per their new media rights deals. Adding Pac schools will also provide new media windows and territory for advertisers and sponsors as well as more stability in the conference.

Still a temporary solution that exists only until the B1G/SEC comes calling. There is also incremental benefits for these schools to be associated with Stanford and Cal and play regional opponents. Blowing all that up for what is probably chump change in terms of whatever additional money the Big XII can promise in the short term is not worth it.

I guarantee the deal to USC and UCLA was an insurance that in due time there will be an entire West Coast division. The footprint is national, the storyline is going to be the Southeast (SEC) vs the rest of the country (B1G). I see the B1G grabbing KU, Oregon, Washington, Stanford (assuming Stanford wants to be part of this, as they are basically Ivy League they maybe opt to deemphasize football) and maybe one of the four corner schools (CU, Utah, or UofA).
I don’t think the B10 has the slightest interest in Kansas. Washington and Oregon for sure, possibly Cal and Stanford will be added.

Most likely 8 schools to the B10 will be from this group

Washington
Oregon
UNC
UVA
FSU
Miami
GT
Cal
Stanford
Notre Dame

ADVERTISEMENT