ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Transfer waiver approved for Goard

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The NCAA has approved a transfer waiver request for TyQuane Goard, who has been added to the WVU men’s basketball roster, coach Bob Huggins announced today.

Goard, a 6-foot-7, 210-pound senior forward, will be eligible to compete for the Mountaineers this season. A Charleston native, Goard graduated from Marshall in 2015 with a bachelor’s degree in health sciences. He will pursue a master’s degree at WVU in athletic coaching education.

“With the injury to Brandon Watkins, TyQuane adds much-needed depth and athleticism to the front line,” said Huggins. “His athleticism and skill set are well suited to our style of play.”

In 2013-14, Goard played in 31 of 33 games, making 16 starts for Marshall. He averaged 6.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per game. His best performance came vs. Arkansas State when he scored 21 points and was 11-of-13 from the free throw line, while bringing down a game-high 13 rebounds. Goard finished with the season with 22 blocks and 27 steals.

Goard played his freshman season at Ohio University, where he averaged 1.7 points, 1.5 rebounds and blocked six shots while appearing in 29 games for the Bobcats.

Goard was an All-Mountain State Athletic Conference First Team selection as a senior at George Washington High. He led his team to a 52-37 upset of No. 2 seed Morgantown in the state semifinals and then defeated No. 1 seed Wheeling Park in the state championship game 55-54. He led all scorers with 19 points in the title game.

Goard is enrolled at WVU and is currently practicing with the team for its upcoming trip to the Bahamas.

I still don't understand why someone who graduated a school needed to petition a transfer waiver.

This must be a press release from messerly because there's no explanation as to why the request was needed in the first place.

The answer probably surrounds what marshall was doing to block this behind the scenes.

Nonetheless glad to have him aboard with Brandon out.

I still don't understand why someone who graduated a school needed to petition a transfer waiver.

This must be a press release from messerly because there's no explanation as to why the request was needed in the first place.

The answer probably surrounds what marshall was doing to block this behind the scenes.

Nonetheless glad to have him aboard with Brandon out.

Somebody will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the transfer waiver is required for anybody transferring schools (as far as sports are concerned) so in these cases the paperwork has to be done but is mostly a formality.

Or maybe it could be that he's transferring to another school, but his school has the same program he wants to study. I'm pretty sure that the original rule stated that you had to have graduated and the school you're transferring to has to have a program that yours doesn't. (and of course you have to enroll in that program)

gotcha. yeah I'm just not familiar with the finite rules here in this case

seemed to me he had a degree in hand & was dismissed from the mu bball team.

I'd think anyone in that scenario would be free to do anything they please without permission of a school they formerly attended & a team that dismissed them. but lo, I'm not correct turns out

all aboard for Goard! haha

He was dismissed for a violation of team rules and Marshall did attempt to keep him from playing for Huggs.

Don't mean for this to be a stoopid question.....and apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere......but is the kid coming in as a grant-in-aid player (and if so, would he currently be viewed as a possible legitimate contributor, or more a depth/numbers kind-of player) ??

Don't mean for this to be a stoopid question.....and apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere......but is the kid coming in as a grant-in-aid player (and if so, would he currently be viewed as a possible legitimate contributor, or more a depth/numbers kind-of player) ??
He is fully expected to contribute.

"Relax, I got this Ty........... They bitches anyhow"

huggins-confused.jpg

Reactions: 43rd Parallel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT