ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving

mountaineer fan

All-Conference
Nov 6, 2001
For the first time in my life, I am responsible for Thanksgiving dinner. Would love any pointers or different ideas from Eats board. Cooking for around 12.

Prepare as much as you can ahead of time. You have plenty of time to bake your side dishes after you pull your turkey out of the oven. The turkey will continue cooking and will stay warm (with foil tented over it) for a very long time. Put somebody else in charge of carving the turkey when the time comes if possible. Stay calm and focused and little bumps in the road are expected. Just recover from them. Have everything planned out and attempt to stay on the plan while just enjoying the experience.

Spend some time planning out how mch room you have in and on your stove. Funny how easy it is to run out of burners or oven space that day.

I can't recommend brining enough. Incredibly easy to do and makes a huge improvement in taste and moisture in the meat (that's what she said). I like Alton Brown's brine (linked).

Good Eats Roast Turkey

Seconded. I'm making my brine right now - cider, Guinness, honey, allspice, salt, peppercorns and garlic. I'll add ice to it in the morning then brine my bird for 36 hours starting tomorrow night.

I'd also suggest adding some liquid to the roasting pan - red wine or water if you're making gravy from the pan drippings, otherwise a bit of the brine will do.

High heat for 30 minutes or so to crisp the skin and render the fat, then low and slow.

Echoing the others, plan your burner usage well in advance. Do your shopping early too, you will inevitably forget a few things.

Lastly, booze. Plenty of it. Have a great time and Happy Thanksgiving!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT