ADVERTISEMENT

Still doubt numbers? 5 Big 12 teams in Elite Eight still possible

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Top 5 teams in Big 12, which WVU had to play 10 games against, are positioned mathematically to reach Sweet Sixteen if they win Saturday and Sunday 2nd round games. And Elite Eight if they win in Sweet Sixteen.

5 from one conference, if it happens, would be unreal!

And 4 of 5 Big 12 teams face a lower seed in 2nd round. TCU only one to face higher seed. So numbers say 4-1 in 2nd round, which would mean HALF the Elite Eight field would be Big 12 teams if they also win in Sweet Sixteen!

Final Big 12 standings
1. Kansas 1 seed vs. 8 seed Arkansas, 5:15 pm Saturday
2. Texas 2 seed vs. 10 seed Penn State, 7:45 pm Saturday
3. Kansas State 3 seed vs. 6 seed Kentucky, Sunday, tipoff time ???
4. Baylor 3 seed vs. 6 seed Creighton, Sunday, tipoff time ???
5. TCU 6 seed vs. 3 seed Gonzaga, Sunday, tipoff time ???

TCU had me worried for a while Friday night. Now I can't wait for Saturday and Sunday 2nd round games by Big 12 teams to see if what numbers told me, possible 4 or 5 teams in Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight, startles the nation!

Last edited:
Top 5 teams in Big 12, which WVU had to play 10 games against, are positioned mathematically to reach Sweet Sixteen if they win Saturday and Sunday 2nd round games. And Elite Eight if they win in Sweet Sixteen.

And 4 of 5 Big 12 teams face a lower seed in 2nd round. TCU only one to face higher seed. So numbers say 4-1 in 2nd round, which would mean HALF the Elite Eight field would be Big 12 teams if they also win in Sweet Sixteen!

Final Big 12 standings

TCU had me worried for a while Friday night. Now I can't wait for Saturday and Sunday 2nd round games by Big 12 teams to see if what numbers told me, possible 4 or 5 teams in Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight, startles the nation!
How's wvu doing?

You claimed the numbers would have 10 Big 12 teams in the Tournament.

You claimed 8 would make the elite 8.

Your numbers are about the wrong thing. Your looking at score and not real statistics.

Quantitative Analysis in Sports by Brian Skinner

Skinner says, that team A and team B each have the same chance of scoring on a given shot but that A passes the ball twice as fast as B. Conventional wisdom would indicate that team A's best prescription for success would be to shoot twice as often as B. However, Skinner's equations show that for a scenario in which if team B shoots, on average, every 20 seconds, team A should shoot every 13 seconds rather than every 10. The extra 3 seconds allows team A to be more selective about which shots to take, which turns out to be the winning strategy.

Skinner realized that most of the mathematical equations and variables used in analyzing traffic flow could also be applicable to basketball and the movement of the ball in the game. His analysis, published at arXiv.org, concentrated on the movement of the ball as it approached the hoop.

Skinner’s model aimed to find out how likely the shot is to go in before the player should make the shot. Shots more likely to go in were classed as higher quality shots, and the model assumed that the quality of shot opportunities falls randomly.

The goal is movement and quality shots. WVU does neither. They rely on put backs and second opportunities plus the foul shot attempts. So if they don't get to the line often then they're not going to win.

The percentage of Quality shots vs percentage of poor shots can and will decide games majority of the time.

The Analytics

Some of those new stats include:

• Player Efficiency Rating (PER)
  • Win Shares
  • Offensive/Defensive Efficiency
  • Points Per Possession (PPP)
  • True Shooting Percentage (TS%)
  • Free Throw Rate
  • Usage Percentage (USG%)
  • Rebound Rate
  • Assists/Turnover/Steal/Block Rate
  • Shot Locations/Shot Charts
  • On/Off Splits
  • Lineup Data
  • Adjusted Plus/Minus (APM)

The Analytics

Some of those new stats include:

• Player Efficiency Rating (PER)
  • Win Shares
  • Offensive/Defensive Efficiency
  • Points Per Possession (PPP)
  • True Shooting Percentage (TS%)
  • Free Throw Rate
  • Usage Percentage (USG%)
  • Rebound Rate
  • Assists/Turnover/Steal/Block Rate
  • Shot Locations/Shot Charts
  • On/Off Splits
  • Lineup Data
  • Adjusted Plus/Minus (APM)
Thanks. I'll check into it since I'm a numbers and analytics nut.

Reactions: WVUALLEN

Final Big 12 standings

zero teams from the Big 12 in the final four still doubt that number?

• Haha
Reactions: WVUFanForever

Final Big 12 standings

I seriously doubt your numbers.

You guys know when he is wrong, he simply moves onto something else, he won't return to this thread.

Forget the B12. I thought it would be the blueblood teams with the most money ending up in the final four. The small schools have no chance anymore with the NIL, right? They just cant afford the players to compete with the big schools anymore.

Forget the B12. I thought it would be the blueblood teams with the most money ending up in the final four. The small schools have no chance anymore with the NIL, right? They just cant afford the players to compete with the big schools anymore.
Quality basketball players are a dime a dozen. They can't all go to the blue bloods which is why it is more competitive than football. Smaller schools do not necessarily equal less NIL money since NIL money doesn't come from schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT