ADVERTISEMENT

Standing Rib Roast

WVUBRU

All-American
Aug 7, 2001
For the first time in 20 years of marriage, we will be home for the Christmas holidays. I don't want to Turkey or Ham so I thought a Standing Rib Roast would be perfect. Problem is I've never made one.

My mother used to make them and they were absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately, she is not around any longer but memory serves me she basically put salt, pepper, garlic on as a crust and would push garlic gloves into the meat after cutting little pockets open for them and roast at a high temp. Looking at some recipes, there are different rubs but this is the basic recipe.

Any secrets or suggestions on either preparing the roast or any side dishes? Thanks

I will be interested to see the answers to your question. I don't know much about the kitchen, but I would go low and slow with the temp unless convinced otherwise.

You are on the money as far as i can see Bru. Pockets of garlic are great for any kind of rib roast. Also I like to roast garlic and coat the outside with it before roasting. Do it the night prior and let it sit. It gets dark but i like it that way..

As you know, cook the roast low and slow, probably at about 275 degrees. Make sure the butcher shop takes off enough of the chine bone so you can slice it properly.

From reading what you post on here, I see no way you mess that thing up.

I'm actually trying something new today. Gonna start it in the oven, and finish it off on the weber charcoal grill. Maybe the last 15 - 20 degrees? Still want to think that one through a bit more........

I kept the prep steps the same as always. Roasted garlic coated on the outside with salt and pepper as well. Stuffed a few cloves inside also. Did all that last night.

I'll drop back by later with results. The mother in law is coming for dinner, and she has no issue providing unfiltered, honest feedback. Might be the martini's?

I think finishing on the grill is a great idea.

Was talking to a friend last week and he is going to smoke one. I don't know about that as it is too good piece of meat to impart smoke into. I rather taste pure beef but having a char from charcoal on the outside, that is always a good flavor with beef, imo.

Looking forward to your update on the results.

We smoke ribs at work every Friday. Works incredible. The Greenbrier uses a Southern Pride smoker to smoke ribs for their functions on Kate's Mountain. The cut is big enough that the smoke doesn't overwhelm it. I would highly suggest that if you own a smoker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT