ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game thoughts

Bubbamanwv

Freshman
May 5, 2014
Between here and there....
Thought it was interesting that Skyler was the only one with the 'Hands off' jersey. Crest is an athlete an don't blame him for wanting on the field-future probably points there anyway-just my opinion now that I see him out there-looked like his throwing motion could have been compromised by last years injury. Like Sills mobility and loooooong strides-can cover some ground. Looking forward to the season.

Skyler has accuracy issues. Donte Thomas-Wiliiams, and Jacky Marcellus are going to be good! O-line looks about average. D-looked good but they should if they practice against these guys every day. We have no dominant receivers. The guy who supposedly is going to fill that roll is very small. Combine that with a QB with accuracy problems and its definitely a red flag

Wouldn't a QB without accuracy issues complete better than 50% of his passes? Or better than a 1-2 record? With his one win coming against an ISU team that had 4 wins if my memory serves correctly? A lot of the balls he throws are five yards from a receiver. So her errors on the side of caution and throws it four yards from a defender and that makes him successful? Point is a lot of passes don't get to receivers hands with Skyler throwing it. Defend it however you see fit.

Wouldn't a QB without accuracy issues complete better than 50% of his passes? Or better than a 1-2 record? With his one win coming against an ISU team that had 4 wins if my memory serves correctly? A lot of the balls he throws are five yards from a receiver. So her errors on the side of caution and throws it four yards from a defender and that makes him successful? Point is a lot of passes don't get to receivers hands with Skyler throwing it. Defend it however you see fit.

Are you really going to blame Howard for the KSU loss? He played awesome that night!

15-23 for 198 yards and 2 TDs........... in one half of football.

but by all means, continue to use a team statistic to define an individual.

Last edited:
He was 55% so he was better than 50%. Those two losses weren't all on him. If he was throwing 'a lot' of balls 5 yards from receivers, he would certainly have thrown a pick in 3 games of action.

I'm not necessarily defending him as much as you are trying to trash him. I don't see a complete body of work. And he's the best guy we have right now. We can win with him. He got better with every game last year. You also make the assumption that none of the WR's were wrong either. There is so much in this that lends to the idea that there isn't enough info to say he's good or bad yet. But hey, keep bitching if it makes you feel better.

Did I say it was his fault that we lost? I said the kid has accuracy issues? Which I've seen with my own eyes. I don't need a kids interception stats to prove that. He misses badly on a lot of passes. That's plainly visible. But if people want to use skewed stats to prove a point it's not that hard to find some to disprove their stats. Donte Thomas-Williams literally has no stats. But its obvious that kid is gonna be a good running back. Same with Jacky Marcellus. The thread was to give ones impressions of the spring game. You clowns picked the only statement that wasn't neutral or positive out of an entire paragraph to acknowledge?

Last edited:
I said the kid has accuracy issues and that's bashing him? When painfully obvious that he does? Ok.[eyeroll] I don't bash a kid unless he has effort issues. Calling a spade a spade isn't bashing. Don't confuse my demeanor toward Dana with the players. They are nowhere near the same.

Yes you did. When you said

"Or better than a 1-2 record?"
I didn't realize he was the only player who traveled to those games. My apologies. I'll concentrate on his pedestrian 55% completion rate from now on. I seem to recall a certain head coach flipping his lid on Geno Smith for one slightly above 60% and saying he had to improve his accuracy. I won't mention that coaches name because I'd be bashing him just by stating what he said I suppose.

I didn't realize he was the only player who traveled to those games. My apologies. I'll concentrate on his pedestrian 55% completion rate from now on. I seem to recall a certain head coach flipping his lid on Geno Smith for one slightly above 60% and saying he had to improve his accuracy. I won't mention that coaches name because I'd be bashing him just by stating what he said I suppose.

you think Dana doesn't think Skyler needs to improve his accuracy?

Fact: Howard averaged 84 yards passing and a TD per quarter............ that's pretty damn good. We will be fine.

He got better with every game last year.
I don't know about that assertion, Doom. The guy who was missing numerous open throws in the Liberty Bowl was pretty clearly not as good as the guy who provided a surprising shot of adrenaline in his first start.

Maybe the bowl was simply an isolated bad day with accuracy, I don't know...and your overall point is right that 3 starts is not enough playing time to say with certainty that accuracy is a problem.

However, I can definitely understand the viewpoint of someone who starts wondering whether there are issues considering Howard performed worse with a month's preparation than he did with just a week.

you think Dana doesn't think Skyler needs to improve his accuracy?

Fact: Howard averaged 84 yards passing and a TD per quarter............ that's pretty damn good. We will be fine.
So the head coach can think it? It can be put on tv for the world to see! But if I make one bland statement about it I'm bashing a kid? Your logic is bulletproof, I'd stick with it [thumbsup]

Are you really going to blame Howard for the KSU loss? He played awesome that night!

15-23 for 198 yards and 2 TDs........... in one half of football.

but by all means, continue to use a team statistic to define an individual.

Keaton, using terminology like "team statistic" with a guy like this guy is useless as he has absolutely no earthly idea what you're talking about........ Nice try and good point though. [smoke]

The clown car is almost full. Is ship driving? Did he have to park around back? Is that why he's taking so long? Or is his pager busted? Did he not get the some one has a varying opinion text? Do you guys have your own little ring like the masons? We can call you the blunder twins! You can combine your powers to overcome anyone who doesn't think Dana is a good coach or has anything to say that doesn't involve slobbering over everything WVU related. Or your IQs to buy a soda. I have to go to work now. Ya'll guard this board til I get back. Wouldn't want anyone saying anything other than how great our team is without you clowns gangin up on'm. :p[smoke]

Thought it was interesting that Skyler was the only one with the 'Hands off' jersey. Crest is an athlete an don't blame him for wanting on the field-future probably points there anyway-just my opinion now that I see him out there-looked like his throwing motion could have been compromised by last years injury. Like Sills mobility and loooooong strides-can cover some ground. Looking forward to the season.

Here's one very good reason to do that...... [smoke]

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...s-qb-michael-cummings-to-undergo-knee-surgery

Warez turned out to be the true triple threat. Catchin' passes, throwin' passes, returnin' punts, he was sight to behold Saturday.

It's too bad he and that Crest kid have to share a jersey. You'll get him in the fall, Warez. Keep working.

QB argument is difficult for me to follow. Sky is not acceptable because he is 3* and had a difficult time in the bowl game t year. Regular season starts - not bad. And he had some JC starts prior to WV.

Crest is 4* with good HS numbers and ability to run. College experience(that I remember) was one series that ended in a fumble and shoulder injury that ended the season.

Sills is 4* with good HS numbers at pass and run.

Chugs is 3* with good HS numbers that were getting better his Sr year.

DH has selected Sky because he is farther advanced in the system. Hell is being raised because some fans had predicted 4* Crest as starter from time he signed LOI.

What is justification for such staunch stance for Crest? Sills is a 4* too. College experience cannot be the difference, can it?

QB argument is difficult for me to follow. Sky is not acceptable because he is 3* and had a difficult time in the bowl game t year. Regular season starts - not bad. And he had some JC starts prior to WV.

Crest is 4* with good HS numbers and ability to run. College experience(that I remember) was one series that ended in a fumble and shoulder injury that ended the season.

Sills is 4* with good HS numbers at pass and run.

Chugs is 3* with good HS numbers that were getting better his Sr year.

DH has selected Sky because he is farther advanced in the system. Hell is being raised because some fans had predicted 4* Crest as starter from time he signed LOI.

What is justification for such staunch stance for Crest? Sills is a 4* too. College experience cannot be the difference, can it?

People get hung up on stars. They don't mean much. I'd like to see someone emerge that can lead the team and don't much care who it is or how many stars they got . Whether anyone likes Holgerson or not, he gets to make the call. I can't really tolerate people who put our recruits down. These kids have cast their lot with us and don't deserve to be dragged through the mud before they have ever played a down. Howard has apparently showed more to the coaches than any of the other QB's. I hope he has great success, unexpected success. Seems like some people want him to fail just so they can argue that Holgerson is a failure. I don't know if Holgerson can succeed as we would like, but I do know that I'd be very happy if he does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT