ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING UPDATE Some quick thoughts from the second West Virginia 7-on-7 and big man camp

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--While it wasn't quite the loaded field from the first time, there was a good group on hand and I got to see some in-state kids. I spent most of the morning at the big man camp so I missed out on pool play, but was able to get gather some thoughts on some guys.

--South Charleston (W.Va.) 2023 defensive lineman Mari Lawton absolutely looks the part of an interior lineman now. He's really grown since the last time I saw him and had an impressive camp during the big-man portion. He's quick for his size and won his fair share of reps. He spent a lot of time with the coaches afterwards and I walked away with a good impression of what I saw on the field today.

--I knew absolutely nothing about Severn (Md.) Archbishop Spalding defensive lineman Jason Robertson before today, but was really impressed with him. He claimed MVP honors for the defensive linemen and earned it with an impressive showing. He has nice size, a good frame to build on and some great moves in the one-on-ones. He told me that the coaches said he is definitely on the radar moving forward and while he didn't get an offer today, a name to pocket for the future. He also had a twin brother competing in Jalen Robertson who had his moments as well.

--Two other edge rushers that caught my attention were Jordan Sampson and Braxton Carter. Sampson was bigger, but Carter was a smaller guy that came off the edge with a lot of speed and had some impressive moves. I'm still tracking down information on both, but they certainly had a solid day overall.

--On the offensive line side, like what I saw out of South Charleston (W.Va.) 2022 offensive tackle Xavier Bausley. He received recognition at the end of camp although he lost the MVP honors to a guy I'll talk about later but he has good size and fared well in the one-on-ones. He had some battles with Lawton and some of the other pass rushers and held his own. He'll need to continue to shape his body but I thought he looked much improved.

--Alcoa (Tn.) 2023 offensive lineman Lance Williams took home the MVP honors and earned it with a solid group of offensive linemen. He has some versatility to play several positions and is a big kid. Did a good job against the pass rushers in attendance and has some killer hair to go with it. West Virginia had reportedly offered him before this event, but I do think his performance likely confirmed that.

--Watertown (Cn.) Taft offensive lineman Dominic Rulli has some interest from lower level programs but looked good out there today. He is a true center and was the best there in attendance at the position. He has good size and plays with a mean streak even without pads.

--Fairmont Senior 2024 athlete Jayden Cheriza had a very good day and continued to make plays essentially every time I watched him play. When his team was eliminated he received a lot of attention from the coaches and I think it's a name to remember moving forward from the in-state ranks.

--Didn't get to watch as much as I wanted to of South Charleston (W.Va.) 2023 quarterback Trey Dunn but from what I did observe he threw well. He is noticeably bigger than the last time I saw him and has filled out. Still not the tallest quarterback, but has time on his side.

--Really like the athleticism of Martinsburg (W.Va.) tight end Jacob Barrick. I saw it in camp earlier this summer but he runs very well for his size.

--Philadelphia (Pa.) Northeast 2023 defensive lineman Kion Wright didn't camp but he certainly stood out. He has excellent size for a 2023 prospect and had running backs coach Chad Scott touring him around the facilities when I caught a glimpse of him.

--I didn't catch his name, but there was a bigger tight end type from Bridgeport that simply just kept getting open and making plays. It seemed like every time I watched them he was making catches and getting chunks of yards. I'll try to track that down but he had a great day today.

--Both the Western Maryland team and the Gain team had some good athletes and they actually squared off against each one in the semifinals with WMD edging them out. There were a couple impressed wide receivers and defensive backs for both teams.

--The ultimate champion Ursuline was a well oiled machine in the 7-on-7 and really looked good today. Their quarterback Youngstown (Oh.) Ursuline signal caller Brady Shannon got the ball out quick and was able to squeeze in some nice throws to a collection of wide outs. They were definitely the best team out there today in my opinion and took care of business in the title game by really controlling the game against WMD.

--I've been out there since about 9 a.m. this morning so might be missing a few things, but wanted to provide some feedback on what I observed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News