ADVERTISEMENT

So where to shop on line for USDA Prime Steaks?

old buzzard

All-Conference
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2005
I'm talking about USDA Prime, restaurant quality, properly aged Angus. None is available locally. Google search offers too many options and I don't want to be disappointed at those prices..........just wondering if anyone has any advice as to which places to order from and which ones to avoid.

Since it is a regulated industry and Prime actually means something, pretty much alll Prime Beef will be the same quality depending on other intangibles. Once you figure out the cut you want and whether or not you want it aged a certain way, Prime is Prime. It is the top of the chain unless you choose Wagu or Kobe or something boutique like that.

Here are a few, I've had business with all of these and they...

all are good. Allen Brothers ( Chicago) , Debragga (New York), primetimessteaks.com ( part of K&M Meat in Los Angeles), Master Purveyors ( New York),Halperns Steak and Seafood ( Atlanta,Howard Halpern was the founder of Buckhead Beef),

Old Buzzard, I don't know where you live but if you are..

close to any Costco's or Wegman's, they both sell some USDA Prime Beef. I would suggest those over the ones I mentioned earlier if cost is an issue. The difference in quality will be in the aging of the beef. Most retail grocery stores shy away from aging because of shelf life IF they are cutting steaks at the location. I doubt that Costco cut steaks have proper age but I know that Wegmans does age. I buy WHOLE sub-primals in the ORIGINAL cryovac ( ribeyes and strips ) at Costco and age them in the frig for 4 or more weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT