ADVERTISEMENT

So, black player says "N" word....just has to apologize....

MountaineerWV

All-American
Sep 18, 2007
....a white guy says it, he's labeled a RACIST and kicked out of any sport he is participating in along with media coverage and ridicule?????? Yeah, sounds fair.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Even without the N word, just dropping a derogatory F bomb ...

warrants more than just an apology. I've played football before and I know the things that are said on the field, but to drop the F bomb with vitriol toward an opposing player at a televised press conference is over the line. That is beyond "he's just a kid" stupid.

Man you haven't noticed that their are certain people in this country that are on a different level than others. Start a riot in Ferguson,mo and see how long you stay out of prison. Burn a few houses down and see how long you servive. Start a club for white people and see how long it lasts. Say something against these liberal radical sodomites and see the anger it stirs. Liberals are very compromising when you agree with their position, but disagree and see what happens. Certain people have the DOJ out suppressing your rights under the constitution run by one of the biggest racists in this country. Backed by a White House that is the most racists in history. So you wonder why? Get educated boy.

Originally posted by robEERt:

Man you haven't noticed that their are certain people in this country that are on a different level than others. Start a riot in Ferguson,mo and see how long you stay out of prison. Burn a few houses down and see how long you servive. Start a club for white people and see how long it lasts. Say something against these liberal radical sodomites and see the anger it stirs. Liberals are very compromising when you agree with their position, but disagree and see what happens. Certain people have the DOJ out suppressing your rights under the constitution run by one of the biggest racists in this country. Backed by a White House that is the most racists in history. So you wonder why? Get educated boy.
Didn't take long before someone blamed Obama...
laugh.r191677.gif
. Think it goes a bit deeper than him. Last time I checked, the past 60 years have had Republicans and Democrats in the White House. And we still had this double-standard....and riots.....and so on....

Interesting topic

I wonder what the reaction would have been if Harrison had substituted "honky" or "Pollack" for the N-word?

I'm not sure he can really do much beyond an apology. If you kick him out of the UK program, but he'll just go to the NBA, and he's probably going anyway.

My guess is that comment probably cost him a million dollars in his eventual NBA deal, so it will cost him more than an apology.

If there a difference in how this sort of thing is handled, based on race? Of course. That seems like a pretty small accommodation for two centuries of slavery and a century and a half of racism.

If a friend with WV roots calls me a 'Hillbilly' i'd be ok withit, but...

If some know-it-all from a big city said it to my face, I would take offense.

So I get it.
Just my opinion.

Lgm!

He should be suspended just like the frat boy from Oklahoma. If not, then that must mean the Kentucky is big racist school and black basketball players shouldn't consider going to that school.

Where's Al Sharpton? Oh yeah, it's against a white man. It doesn't count. Sick of the double standard

You're sick... ..but it's mostly because you don't even understand that it's not actually a double standard.

RobEERt is right.

There is a double standard in this country and anyone that can't see it is either deaf, dumb, or blind.

Explain why my statement is wrong? If a white player said it about a black player all hell would break loose. The player would've had his scholarship revoked, kicked off the team. The school would have to make a public apology at a press conference. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be on the case. You know what is "sick"? The double standard.

Re: Interesting topic

Is it my damn fault our ancestors were responsible for slavery? Is there anyone alive today who either owned slaves or were slaves themselves? Anyone alive today in this country that suffered from it? Answer to all is NO. Why are we punished for it? So no, it's not a fair "accommodation for 200 years of slavery". None of us had anything to do with it. It's all a bunch of crap and needs to stop.

Re: Interesting topic

Originally posted by ThePunish-EER:
Is it my damn fault our ancestors were responsible for slavery? Is there anyone alive today who either owned slaves or were slaves themselves? Anyone alive today in this country that suffered from it? Answer to all is NO. Why are we punished for it? So no, it's not a fair "accommodation for 200 years of slavery". None of us had anything to do with it. It's all a bunch of crap and needs to stop.
You are being punished? In what way? YOU need to seek help!

Explain? Had Kaminsky said that same thing about Harrison do you really think 1) He would already be off the team. 2) it would have been the lead story on National News outlets all day Sunday. 3) Kaminsky would be labeled a racist. Pick one or all.

Don't forget that blacks weren't the only slaves

Lot of info on this that mainstream and schools don't teach. http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/31076

I consider myself a liberal and I agree that the comment was inappropriate and the "reaction" should be more than "Eh, he's just a kid, yadda yadda yadda".

Cauley-Stein walking off the court and not shaking hands showed poor sportsmanship too. You're not hearing anything about that. UK gets pretty nice treatment from the media.

Just my two cents worth.

In the immortal words of Avon Cobourne: "Chill, son"

Where's Al Sharpton? Oh yeah, it's against a white man. It doesn't count. Sick of the double standard
I grew up in a blue-collar West Virginia town with people from all around the world -- Italians, Irish, Polish, Hungarians, Germans, black, Jewish, you name it. There were ethnic slurs aimed at every one of those groups.

And here's the thing, if I used an ethnic slur for an Italian, say, or a Hungarian, then everyone understood I was looking for a fight. But if I used an ethnic slur for the Irish, it was no biggie, since my ancestors were Irish.

It's pretty much universal. If I call you a damn hillbilly, I mean it in an endearing way. If a New Yorker calls you a damn hillbilly, them's fightin' words.

Chill, son.

Re: In the immortal words of Avon Cobourne: "Chill, son"

Originally posted by 43rd Parallel:

I grew up in a blue-collar West Virginia town with people from all around the world -- Italians, Irish, Polish, Hungarians, Germans, black, Jewish, you name it. There were ethnic slurs aimed at every one of those groups.

And here's the thing, if I used an ethnic slur for an Italian, say, or a Hungarian, then everyone understood I was looking for a fight. But if I used an ethnic slur for the Irish, it was no biggie, since my ancestors were Irish.

It's pretty much universal. If I call you a damn hillbilly, I mean it in an endearing way. If a New Yorker calls you a damn hillbilly, them's fightin' words.

Chill, son.
Exactly. Nobody can mess with you but "your family".

Originally posted by kyjulip:

Exactly. Nobody can mess with you but "your family".

Yeah, but see that's the thing. Kaminsky isn't "his family."

It goes both ways. Maybe they need to get off white people's backs when they say the same thing. It's either or. You choose to punish whites? Ok. Punish blacks as well then for similar statements.

wow. another black guy was not destroyed for using the n word. the horror.

maybe you all will burn a cross in protest

Daxter Miles should be the one upset

All he did was predict that UK would end the season at 36-1. Well, he was off by two games, they ended 38-1.

And he got blasted all the way from Charles Barkley to PTI.

Then Harrison uses a pejorative racial term and an F-bomb - wow.

Most of you are right - there's clearly a double standard. The only way Harrison would be in trouble is if he would have called him a fa_g_ot. That's the true protected class these days. He would have been expelled from school and his entire NBA future would be in doubt.

My question is, in 40 years, what behavioral preference will be protected then?

Riley Cooper

Originally posted by MountaineerWV:
....a white guy says it, he's labeled a RACIST and kicked out of any sport he is participating in along with media coverage and ridicule?????? Yeah, sounds fair.
ohwell.r191677.gif
White guy. Wasn't kicked out of the sport he was playing. Media eventually died down and moved on to whatever the Kardashians had for dinner or whatever they refocused on.

Re: Riley Cooper

Originally posted by WhiteTailEER:
Originally posted by MountaineerWV:
ohwell.r191677.gif
White guy. Wasn't kicked out of the sport he was playing. Media eventually died down and moved on to whatever the Kardashians had for dinner or whatever they refocused on.
Of course we are talking about the league that takes nothing very seriously at all...but yes good example none the less....I have a sneaking suspicion Goodell watches the Kardashians religiously...

As a white person.... ...I can comfortably say that I'd be completely UNINSULTED if a black man referred to me as a N*$$#%.

If some of you can't understand why there's a diff... ....endless explanations just won't help.

-------------

Paper actually made a great, possibly unintended, point when he used the term 'fag' as an example. Again, some points are so OBVIOUS they shouldn't need to be explained.......

Originally posted by LowFatMilk:

As a white person.... ...I can comfortably say that I'd be completely UNINSULTED if a black man referred to me as a N*$$#%.

If some of you can't understand why there's a diff... ....endless explanations just won't help.

-------------

Paper actually made a great, possibly unintended, point when he used the term 'fag' as an example. Again, some points are so OBVIOUS they shouldn't need to be explained.......

I'd say most people understand the difference. What I think you are missing is the more fundamental issue. Once you start making up different rules for different groups of people, it rarely ends well.

Originally posted by topdecktiger:

I'd say most people understand the difference. What I think you are missing is the more fundamental issue. Once you start making up different rules for different groups of people, it rarely ends well.

Yea... ..if we could only erase history.

Originally posted by LowFatMilk:

Yea... ..if we could only erase history.

It's not about erasing history. The problem is, having different rules for different people is exactly what let to that history in the first place. Keep doing the same thing, expect the same results.

Once again, nobody alive today was responsible for that history. Nobody alive today suffered as a slave. Nobody alive today owned a slave.

No double standard eh? Case in point: Years ago, Tiger Woods wins his first Masters. Fuzzy Zoeller says, "I guess we'll celebrate with colla greens and fried chicken.". Fuzzy is suspended from the tour, loses his sponsors, and his career destroyed. Kentuckys Harrison says, "F#%# that n#%#%#" and everyone says "oh he's a kid" and Harrison says he's sorry. It's forgotten. Tell which was worse? Fuzzy? Hardly. Truth is, it's ridiculous and several of us are getting sick of it

This post was edited on 4/6 8:54 PM by ThePunish-EER

Yeah, pretty simple...............double standard. If a white guy said that about a black, all heck would break loose, career thrown in the trash because the knee-jerk freaks trying to get as far from that in fear of being perceived as part of it. Don't give me that "it's ok, I'm black, I can say it" BS, but if you're white, "I'll explode if YOU do."

Just more ignorant thinking by an ignorant.

No double standard eh? Case in point: Years ago, Tiger Woods wins his first Masters. Fuzzy Zoeller says, "I guess we'll celebrate with colla greens and fried chicken.". Fuzzy is suspended from the tour, loses his sponsors, and his career destroyed. Kentuckys Harrison says, "F#%# that n#%#%#" and everyone says "oh he's a kid" and Harrison says he's sorry. It's forgotten. Tell which was worse? Fuzzy? Hardly. Truth is, it's ridiculous and several of us are getting sick of it

This post was edited on 4/6 8:54 PM by ThePunish-EER
LOL, yeah...who? You, Larry, Harry and Barry at the bar?

Whether you like it or not, context and intention matter.

It's an ugly word for anyone to use and I do think black leadership should be more proactive against it's internal usage, but this incident doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure what your issue is, if you don't use the word you have nothing to worry about. Are you jealous Harrison gets to use it and you don't?

He's a young guy who said something very stupid in an emotional situation. He's apologized for it. It will follow him. Not sure what else needs to be done.

Now, if Harrison called Kaminski a dumb Polack, then it could be considered racist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT