ADVERTISEMENT

Smoked trout pate

thebowl

All-Conference
Apr 10, 2007
Made this yesterday using the top rack of my Weber bullet, with 3 slabs of St Louis style ribs below. It came out pretty good.

Trout brine:

4 trout fillets
4 cups water
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Chinese 5- spice powder

Place fillets skin side down in a non-reactive dish. Mix brine ingredients, pour over fillets to cover and let sit 4 hours up to overnight. Remove fillets and place in front of a fan for a half-hour.

Smoke fillets until they flake. Do not overcook!

Flake fillets into a bowl and add sour cream, lime juice, 1tsp horseradish, minded fresh tarragon, smoked paparika, cayenne, minced chives. Salt may not be needed, due to brining. Serve on toast points with minced red onion, hard boiled egg, capers, bacon, more chives and hot sauce.

Forgot there was some crushed pepper in the brine. It might have been Hatch. I have so many, I can't remember.

The BEST Trout I've ever eaten was at the Grey Stone Restaurant half way up Ogden Canyon in Ogden, Utah. Than and their Oatmeal Pie can't be beat.

I like to take a whole trout, gut it and remove the head, dip it in milk and roll it in a mixture of yellow corn meal and black pepper inside and out. Then lay it on aluminum foil that I've coated in butter, wrap it up, and either put in the oven for 7 or 8 minutes or on a grill. I fix my catfish the same way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT