ADVERTISEMENT

Rush stole my topic How long will it be until the discussion

mneilmont

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2008
switches to the American flag. Rush raised it yesterday and Farakan answered it last night.

As we get a larger segment of Muslims, why would they not be offended by the American Flag being flown over government (taxpayer) paid property? Muslims pay taxes and a segment of them are definitely in opposition to what the American Flag represents to the vast majority of the population. Of course it would start as a few more liberal Muslims voice their opinions. As their population grows, the subject will grow slowly - until one day ... .

If we could get a private vote, I suspect there would be a lot of non-Muslims (sympathizers) who would vote to remove the flag today.

Rush and Louie jumped the gun on me a little bit. Most of you will say "stupid", but is it? Really?

switches to the American flag. Rush raised it yesterday and Farakan answered it last night.

As we get a larger segment of Muslims, why would they not be offended by the American Flag being flown over government (taxpayer) paid property? Muslims pay taxes and a segment of them are definitely in opposition to what the American Flag represents to the vast majority of the population. Of course it would start as a few more liberal Muslims voice their opinions. As their population grows, the subject will grow slowly - until one day ... .

If we could get a private vote, I suspect there would be a lot of non-Muslims (sympathizers) who would vote to remove the flag today.

Rush and Louie jumped the gun on me a little bit. Most of you will say "stupid", but is it? Really?
[roll]

Yes. Very stupid. Extremely.

You're not paranoid, you just know people are out to get you, right?

You're not paranoid, you just know people are out to get you, right?
Amazingly, neither of the three libs above said they would defend the American Flag at this time nor later in life. Is it only representative of an aggressive nation that spreads its will on other peoples?

Amazingly, neither of the three libs above said they would defend the American Flag at this time nor later in life. Is it only representative of an aggressive nation that spreads its will on other peoples?

Your scenario (or Rush's) is embarrassing. Laughable. And Childish. Plain and simple. I heard a crazed Confederate flag sympathizer on the news the other day saying "the American flag has killed more people than anything the Confederate flag stood for". WOW!

I love my country. I love my history. And I hate traitors to my country. Benedict Arnold, CSA officials, and anyone who aids our enemies. We had Vietnam War vets who were spit on and disgraced by Americans, yet we got people who want to stand up for Confederate soldiers?????? Come on!

Yes. Very stupid. Extremely.

It's not as stupid as you think...I have seen firsthand this very scenario play out in my workplace. A former coworker was asked to take his American flag down from his cube (his brother was serving at the time). He was told someone thought the flag was "offensive". We never found out who the person was...let's just say a majority of the people working around him were not native born Americans.

Reactions: bornaneer
It's not as stupid as you think...I have seen firsthand this very scenario play out in my workplace. A former coworker was asked to take his American flag down from his cube (his brother was serving at the time). He was told someone thought the flag was "offensive". We never found out who the person was...let's just say a majority of the people working around him were not native born Americans.

So did he have to take down the flag or not?

Symbolic gestures are not interpreted by the same by everyone. This is why the we are having a discussion on the bars and stars recently. The Stars and Stripes are also a symbolic gesture and most find it to be very patriotic. However, not everyone feels that way. Is it right to fly the Stars and Stripes on government property. Absolutely. Does it belong in a cubicle of a private company? Not necessarily. Many companies do not allow symbolic symbols at the workplace including the company I work for. You would be asked to remove it. Does that offend me? Not in the least. I prefer a work environment that is not hostile where all employees are treated with the same level of respect.

Understanding why the company did what they did and me still being pissed are two different things. Don't come over to this country and pull that shit. If I were to find employment in Russia, I should damn well not raise hell if a Russky flew the hammer and sickle.

Reactions: bornaneer
I prefer a work environment that is not hostile where all employees are treated with the same level of respect.

Big Clay was spot on with his comment. So you think a American flag symbol is "offensive", promotes a hostile workplace and disrespects certain employees? What about the employees that cannot display the symbol in their cubicle? Maybe they feel they are being disrespected and the workplace is hostile towards them. You may want to be more open minded about this. For the life of me, I don't know why the American flag is "offensive" to anyone. I could understand if they were displaying the confederate navy jack (the rebel flag one that is generally seen), a swastika or the hammer and sickle.

Last edited:
Big Clay was spot on with his comment. So you think a American flag symbol is "offensive", promotes a hostile workplace and disrespects certain employees? What about the employees that cannot display the symbol in their cubicle? Maybe they feel they are being disrespected and the workplace is hostile towards them. You may want to be more open minded about this. For the life of me, I don't know why the American flag is "offensive" to anyone. I could understand if they were displaying the confederate navy jack (the rebel flag one that is generally seen), a swastika or the hammer and sickle.
you have serious reading comprehension issues or just plain stupid or both. I think it is both. Anyone responding to you on this board should have their head examined.

Reactions: countryroads89
Your scenario (or Rush's) is embarrassing. Laughable. And Childish. Plain and simple. I heard a crazed Confederate flag sympathizer on the news the other day saying "the American flag has killed more people than anything the Confederate flag stood for". WOW!

I love my country. I love my history. And I hate traitors to my country. Benedict Arnold, CSA officials, and anyone who aids our enemies. We had Vietnam War vets who were spit on and disgraced by Americans, yet we got people who want to stand up for Confederate soldiers?????? Come on!
Don't be such a chicken-shit as to throw out words without explaining why so. Don't be stupid either. The phrase to which you attributed to "a crazed Confederate flag sympathizer" was actually offered by a Muslim instead. Does the source make a difference in the message for you? Don't be so damned dumb when making offerings on here you dense child.

you have serious reading comprehension issues or just plain stupid or both. I think it is both. Anyone responding to you on this board should have their head examined.

You are the one with problems. We all know exactly what you said. I probably am stupid to believe that you will take responsibility for any of the shit you spew. You may want to read what you post. I suggest you look at your last sentence. Anyone with half a brain knows what you were implying. You disagree with what Big Clay (Figon) said ?

Reactions: Fingon
Fingon is a high quality individual that has my utmost respect. If he or any other person that is confused of my perspective that I shared, I will be glad to answer. I have a feeling that Fingon will understand the point I made without spinning into something it isn't and at the same time, realize there is a different perspective on the subject even though he may not agree with it. Dumbasses, liars, trolls and fools are not worth responding to.

Fingon is a high quality individual that has my utmost respect. If he or any other person that is confused of my perspective that I shared, I will be glad to answer. I have a feeling that Fingon will understand the point I made without spinning into something it isn't and at the same time, realize there is a different perspective on the subject even though he may not agree with it. Dumbasses, liars, trolls and fools are not worth responding to.

Yes...although I understand why the company did what they did, I'm still not happy with the individual who made the complaint. You came here to work...know the risks/environment. Honestly, the display was inside, not outside his cubicle...that's what was disturbing.

I totally understand some have a "different perspective" and I always have respect for that. Looks like you are the one who has a problem dealing with a "different perspective". When you can't deal with other opinions you start with the name calling.
I love to prod you. You are one miserable individual.

Yes...although I understand why the company did what they did, I'm still not happy with the individual who made the complaint. You came here to work...know the risks/environment. Honestly, the display was inside, not outside his cubicle...that's what was disturbing.

Depending on the circumstance, I most certainly understand it being disturbing. I know I don't like following "rules" and then some jackoff feels like their presence is more important than others and attempts to make a statement. I rather just get along in an office setting and treat others like I would like to be treated.

Depending on the circumstance, I most certainly understand it being disturbing. I know I don't like following "rules" and then some jackoff feels like their presence is more important than others and attempts to make a statement. I rather just get along in an office setting and treat others like I would like to be treated.
You want everyone to be arrogant blowhards?

Okay, that's fine...however, that same flag was flying not more than 200 ft outside on the flagpole. By your logic, the company shouldn't fly the Stars and Stripes outside the building as well. I mean, God knows how many people would be offended driving up to the building seeing the American flag.

I understand what you are trying to say, but my point is if you come to this country, don't try to tell me as an American citizen what I can and cannot do...gain your citizenship first.

Okay, that's fine...however, that same flag was flying not more than 200 ft outside on the flagpole. By your logic, the company shouldn't fly the Stars and Stripes outside the building as well. I mean, God knows how many people would be offended driving up to the building seeing the American flag.

I understand what you are trying to say, but my point is if you come to this country, don't try to tell me as an American citizen what I can and cannot do...gain your citizenship first.

The company I work for is a very international company and very big on political correctness. We have many locations throughout the world. I've been to about 10 of them and I don't recall the Stars and Stripes being displayed outside on a flagpole anywhere. Is that unpatriotic? I don't think so. It is rather showing no need to fly a flag.

The company has a very international workforce. They have set their policies knowing that and creating a workplace that is very neutral. For example, we have many Russians, Chinese, Indians, Pakistanians and other nationalities under the same roof. I guarantee if a Russian or Chinese employee put up their flag in their office or cubicle, there would be problems with the rednecks and it could turn into a hostile environment which for those that know employment law, is a big problem. The company doesn't need that kind of headache so they have instituted policies just to eliminate it.

It also goes so deep that you can't have a flag for your university. They have made many individuals take down college paraphenilia that has been deemed improper. I have my WV Alumni calendar and a small WV magnet and that has been ok. But if I tried to put up something like a WV banner, HR would tell me to take it down. Yes, this has pissed off many UGA, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, FSU fans in my 6 years with this company but in a weird way, I have found it to be a good thing as it has led to a comfortable workplace.

But I am also in favor of smaller companies have the ability to set their own policies and if that includes personalizing one's own workspace, than that is fine in my book. I would support the person flying the American flag but at the same time, the same respect should be given if an individual puts up something that you might find as offensive.

UOTE="WVUBRU, post: 175626, member: 750"]The company I work for is a very international company and very big on political correctness. We have many locations throughout the world. I've been to about 10 of them and I don't recall the Stars and Stripes being displayed outside on a flagpole anywhere. Is that unpatriotic? I don't think so. It is rather showing no need to fly a flag.

The company has a very international workforce. They have set their policies knowing that and creating a workplace that is very neutral. For example, we have many Russians, Chinese, Indians, Pakistanians and other nationalities under the same roof. I guarantee if a Russian or Chinese employee put up their flag in their office or cubicle, there would be problems with the rednecks and it could turn into a hostile environment which for those that know employment law, is a big problem. The company doesn't need that kind of headache so they have instituted policies just to eliminate it.

It also goes so deep that you can't have a flag for your university. They have made many individuals take down college paraphenilia that has been deemed improper. I have my WV Alumni calendar and a small WV magnet and that has been ok. But if I tried to put up something like a WV banner, HR would tell me to take it down. Yes, this has pissed off many UGA, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, FSU fans in my 6 years with this company but in a weird way, I have found it to be a good thing as it has led to a comfortable workplace.

But I am also in favor of smaller companies have the ability to set their own policies and if that includes personalizing one's own workspace, than that is fine in my book. I would support the person flying the American flag but at the same time, the same respect should be given if an individual puts up something that you might find as offensive.[/QUOTE]
The company I work for is a very international company and very big on political correctness. We have many locations throughout the world. I've been to about 10 of them and I don't recall the Stars and Stripes being displayed outside on a flagpole anywhere. Is that unpatriotic? I don't think so. It is rather showing no need to fly a flag.

But I am also in favor of smaller companies have the ability to set their own policies and if that includes personalizing one's own workspace, than that is fine in my book. I would support the person flying the American flag but at the same time, the same respect should be given if an individual puts up something that you might find as offensive.

You say "many...at many locations throughout the world". May I ask if the policy holds true in all locations that the flag of the host country(locations outside US) is not allowed to be displayed at the buildings in the country? i.e., the flag with cycle is not allowed to be displayed outside the offices located in Russia? Or is that policy restricted to countries of free world?

Of course nothing is intended - just personal interest.

You say "many...at many locations throughout the world". May I ask if the policy holds true in all locations that the flag of the host country(locations outside US) is not allowed to be displayed at the buildings in the country? i.e., the flag with cycle is not allowed to be displayed outside the offices located in Russia? Or is that policy restricted to countries of free world?

I have only been to domestic locations and not international. My comment was a little vague in structure. I have no clue and until yesterday, I didn't really think about this topic. But I would suspect that the policy is in place with our international side of business as it is domestically.

That sounds reasonable. I still would not support allowing the display of the rebel flag outside ones home if someone objected. It originally sounded like you supported removing the American flag if someone found it offensive in a workplace. I have worked in places where I saw many different symbols usually of one nationality and I never saw anyone object.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT