ADVERTISEMENT

Reds Blast WVU Alum

KingCoal

All-Conference
Jul 20, 2009
The pesky Cincinnati Reds lit-up Michael Grove, a Wheeling native and former WVU pitcher, for eight earned runs in six innings of play at Dodger Stadium today.

The pesky Cincinnati Reds lit-up Michael Grove, a Wheeling native and former WVU pitcher, for eight earned runs in six innings of play at Dodger Stadium today.
The Reds in the thick of it despite a horrible head to head record with the Brew Crew.

The Reds in the thick of it despite a horrible head to head record with the Brew Crew.
My biggest question is what on earth was Bell thinking by putting Elly at leadoff? Friedl was a great leadoff guy and Elly Ks too much.

My biggest question is what on earth was Bell thinking by putting Elly at leadoff? Friedl was a great leadoff guy and Elly Ks too much.
I guess because Elly is so damn fast but he's a free swinger as you mentioned and whiffs a lot. Friedl makes more sense in the lead off spot so we're on the same page!

I didn't start calling him "dumBell" a few years ago for nothin'. Friedl should leadoff against righties and Senzel should leadoff against lefties. Nick has a very high average versus left-handed pitching, but shouldn't ever play against right handers. DumBell wouldn't have kept his job, if his daddy hadn't been in the front office until the Spring of 2023. He lucked into a group of great prospects maturing faster than anybody could have anticipated. This team started to turn things around shortly after McLain was called up.

They traded for left hander Monday night....hopefully he'll be more effective than the dead but always entertaining Joe Nuxall!
So far, so good, as Sam Moll pitched a scoreless inning last night, which stood out because most of the other Reds' pitchers (including the catcher masquerading as a pitcher) got pounded.

So far, so good, as Sam Moll pitched a scoreless inning last night, which stood out because most of the other Reds' pitchers (including the catcher masquerading as a pitcher) got pounded.
We need to get Greene and Lodolo back in the rotation and get Weaver out...

We need to get Greene and Lodolo back in the rotation and get Weaver out...
True, but they're still weeks away. Connor Phillips is next in line to join the big club's starting rotation and would have to better than scrub Weaver.

They traded for left hander Monday night....hopefully he'll be more effective than the dead but always entertaining Joe Nuxall!
growing up we were force fed the reds in baseball (and the browns in football).......I can't remember how many times thru the years that I heard "this is the old lefthander rounding third and heading for home".........almost as much of a classic as the pirates announcers "just a big old can of corn"

True, but they're still weeks away. Connor Phillips is next in line to join the big club's starting rotation and would have to better than scrub Weaver.
Weaver is on the hill tonight....won't last two innings with the suddenly red hot Cubs bats! Calling him a scrub is being kind....needs his outright release!

growing up we were force fed the reds in baseball (and the browns in football).......I can't remember how many times thru the years that I heard "this is the old lefthander rounding third and heading for home".........almost as much of a classic as the pirates announcers "just a big old can of corn"
Bob Prince was the buccos announcer

"Almost as much of a classic?" Pirates' announcers' sayings are unknown to anybody outside of the greater yinzerburgh area. Joe Nuxall's saying is known by many more people, not that the Old Lefthander was a good color guy. Dude was drunk for at least 90% of the time that he was on the air.

"Almost as much of a classic?" Pirates' announcers' sayings are unknown to anybody outside of the greater yinzerburgh area. Joe Nuxall's saying is known by many more people, not that the Old Lefthander was a good color guy. Dude was drunk for at least 90% of the time that he was on the air.
was it marty brennamen who worked with him?...or was there someone you remember before him

but the alltime classic was hearing dizzy dean sing the wabash cannonball...that may be before your time... Pee Wee Reese was his buddy

was it marty brennamen who worked with him?...or was there someone you remember before him
Yes, and for a very long time. I listened to Marty beginning as a kid, and attended college with one of his daughters, who was a sorority sister/good friend of one of my friends. His candor was appreciated. I remember when Ken Griffey, Jr. became angry because Marty had criticized him for not hustling on the base paths, and Marty responded, "son, I was here long before you got here, and will be here long after you're gone." Marty was right. After a Reds/Padres game played at Petco Park in 2019, I talked with Marty and Jeff Brantley after the game. I wouldn't call them friendly or cordial...LOL Al Michaels was the Reds radio play-by-play announcer for a short period of time before Marty was hired, by the way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT