ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment ?

TheRedSon

All-American
Oct 13, 2008
So what are the insiders in the East saying about realignment right now? It's been too quiet on that front. I feel like this is about to explode somehow.

Originally posted by TheRedSon:
So what are the insiders in the East saying about realignment right now? It's been too quiet on that front. I feel like this is about to explode somehow.
Still waiting on the B1G to make another move. Or perhaps the SEC. I don't think the Big 12 will be the first to move, because Texas doesn't want to move. They love 10, because they can control 10. Someone is probably going to have to twist their arm pretty hard to allow the Big 12 to add schools. Even if there is still some low hanging fruit out there when the B1G & SEC are done.

Everyone is waiting to see what happens with Maryland and their attempts to get out of the ACC. Once that is settled, I think merchandise will go flying off the shelf.

I am am sure the same rumors we hear are the ones you hear out there.

The Big 10 apparently wants UVA, UNC, GT and Duke.

The SEC allegedly wants NC State and VT.

After that, the Big 12 will eat, and it most likely will involve FSU, Clemson and possibly Louisville and one other school.

A rumor of Miami contacting the Big 12 surfaced this week, but nothing credible followed it.

With Bowlsby announcing that the conference will be looking at expansion options by the end of the month (28-29) its highly likely that the league will be taking some action soon.

They seem to have realized that remaining without a CCG and with other conferences so much larger and not playing each other creates a problem as far as getting into the playoffs.

Originally posted by Buckaineer:

They seem to have realized that remaining without a CCG and with other conferences so much larger and not playing each other creates a problem as far as getting into the playoffs.
I think the B12 would be better served having the entire conference play a thirteenth game instead of just two teams. The B12 has petitioned the NCAA for permission to do this eventually. Having a championship game hurt Georgia & Nebraska and kept them out of a BCS Bowl. GA Tech almost didn't get to a Bowl at all because of their less than .500 record after FSU beat them this year in the ACC Championship game.

The B12 would make more money playing 5 OOC games on "Championship" weekend than they would if they only played one championship game. We are different than other conferences because we have round robin scheduling and know who our champion is without replaying a game that was already played during the regular season.

This post was edited on 1/21 11:51 AM by IowaCityCy

Originally posted by bobhertzel'ssweatpants:
Still waiting on the B1G to make another move. Or perhaps the SEC. I don't think the Big 12 will be the first to move, because Texas doesn't want to move. They love 10, because they can control 10. Someone is probably going to have to twist their arm pretty hard to allow the Big 12 to add schools. Even if there is still some low hanging fruit out there when the B1G & SEC are done.
I think a 10 team football oriented conference with round robin scheduling is fun. We are making more money per member than any other conference......that is fun too. Texas is one vote......all members of the B12 have seen our B12 "pay out" nearly triple in the last two years. We should not expand unless it makes us more money.....adding the U of Miami does not make us more money unless FSU or Clemson is also involved in that move.

Originally posted by IowaCityCy:

I think the B12 would be better served having the entire conference play a thirteenth game instead of just two teams. The B12 has petitioned the NCAA for permission to do this eventually. Having a championship game hurt Georgia & Nebraska and kept them out of a BCS Bowl. GA Tech almost didn't get to a Bowl at all because of their less than .500 record after FSU beat them this year in the ACC Championship game.

The B12 would make more money playing 5 OOC games on "Championship" weekend than they would if they only played one championship game. We are different than other conferences because we have round robin scheduling and know who our champion is without replaying a game that was already played during the regular season.

This post was edited on 1/21 11:51 AM by IowaCityCy
I think the BIG 12 might consider going back to an 8 game schedule so they can bring in more money with another OOC game for each school, but it'll only happen at 12 schools.

With the playoffs coming up--every school out there has a CCG--each and every one is taking the risk of losing that game--or winning to propel a school into the championships--except for the BIG 12. That and as the SEC showed this year--not having all teams play each other every year--makes it so that they'll have more highly ranked teams at the end of each season.

Originally posted by IowaCityCy:
I think a 10 team football oriented conference with round robin scheduling is fun. We are making more money per member than any other conference......that is fun too. Texas is one vote......all members of the B12 have seen our B12 "pay out" nearly triple in the last two years. We should not expand unless it makes us more money.....adding the U of Miami does not make us more money unless FSU or Clemson is also involved in that move.
We don't really know which schools being added make more money or not--besides Bowlsby referenced adding teams like the Big 10 did--schools like Maryland and Rutgers that would require some time to build up to be like the others.

Don't know for sure who they'll add, but I can't see the league staying at 10 schools with the others at 14 already and threatenting to become larger. At some point you have to maintain exposure and the ability for earnings potential to grow along with the other leagues. You also have to protect the ability of league teams to make the playoffs.

Oh how much more comfortable the big 12 feels these days. finally being proactive rather than just settling with being torn apart.

TV people demanded 9 conference games to keep B12 together with higher payments. We will never go back to 8 conference games without taking a big cut in pay.

9 conference games hurts the conference. We go 5-5 in that extra conference game and if there would have been an extra non conference game - the conference would have had at least 3 extra home games and would have done no worse than 8-2 in those game - that could be the difference between a bowl bid for as many as 2 teams. Once we expand we will go back to 8 conference games. And it took only 2 years to blow the true champion idea - we had co-champs this year and in just two years of competition we have not had an undefeated conference champion - both costing us a team in the national championship game.

With Bowlsby announcing that the conference will be looking at expansion options by the end of the month (28-29) its highly likely that the league will be taking some action soon.

I don't think they will move before the B1G makes a move. The top choices for these ACC schools are either the B1G or the SEC. So until they have no chance to go to either one of those leagues, then they will run to the Big 12. It is going to happen eventually. It's a matter of when, not if. And at some point, Texas will not have a choice but to allow expansion to happen with the teams that will be available (and Texas does control the Big 12 right now because they control the votes of Texas Tech, Baylor & TCU politically - without at least ONE of those votes, the league does not get to expand).
This post was edited on 1/22 9:42 AM by amath13

Originally posted by amath13:

I don't think they will move before the B1G makes a move. The top choices for these ACC schools are either the B1G or the SEC. So until they have no chance to go to either one of those leagues, then they will run to the Big 12. It is going to happen eventually. It's a matter of when, not if. And at some point, Texas will not have a choice but to allow expansion to happen with the teams that will be available (and Texas does control the Big 12 right now because they control the votes of Texas Tech, Baylor & TCU politically - without at least ONE of those votes, the league does not get to expand).
There isn't any evidence to support that any ACC schools prefer the B1G or SEC or that the BIG 12 would have to wait for anyone. That's just what some anonymous posters on the internet want people to believe.

Texas doesn't control anyone elses votes. Each school votes for their best interests first and the good of the conference. The league members haven't voted to expand, but that might change after next weeks meetings.

Originally posted by amath13:

There isn't any evidence to support that any ACC schools prefer the B1G or SEC or that the BIG 12 would have to wait for anyone. That's just what some anonymous posters on the internet want people to believe.
Actually that's what Vernon Bailey stated. And he's more than just an anonymous poster. :)

Many are under the impression of the BIG 12 having to wait--mostly due to these "insiders". Where is the evidence to support that the BIG and SEC can pick who they want and the BIG 12 must wait?

You aren't hearing this from any leaders of ACC schools--in fact those speaking are saying they aren't going anywhere. Some like the leaders of VT have commented on them not being a fit for the SEC due to things like stadium size and facilities. None of them are saying they'd pick the SEC or B1G over the BIG 12. People want to believe this, but there isn't anything to show it is true.

Many are under the impression of the BIG 12 having to wait--mostly due to these "insiders". Where is the evidence to support that the BIG and SEC can pick who they want and the BIG 12 must wait?

You aren't hearing this from any leaders of ACC schools--in fact those speaking are saying they aren't going anywhere. Some like the leaders of VT have commented on them not being a fit for the SEC due to things like stadium size and facilities. None of them are saying they'd pick the SEC or B1G over the BIG 12. People want to believe this, but there isn't anything to show it is true.
No one is ever going to state that publicly. But there are people that know what's going on behind closed doors. You can choose to ignore what those people say or dismiss it, but it still doesn't change things. The good news is that the B1G & SEC don't likely want the same teams as the Big 12. But the schools that the Big 12 want are going to wait to see if they can get into the B1G or SEC before they decide to jump to the Big 12 (FSU has supposedly already inquired about joining the B1G)....

From Chip Brown at Orangebloods...

>>Big 12 sources said they believe Bowlsby's attention was officially grabbed in December when Warchant.com, the Florida State site on the Yahoo!/Rivals.com network, reported the Seminoles had reached out to the Big Ten about possible membership.

The Big Ten, however, requires its members to be in the American Association of Universities, which represent the top research institutions in the country. Florida State is not an AAU school.

No one is ever going to state that publicly. But there are people that know what's going on behind closed doors. You can choose to ignore what those people say or dismiss it, but it still doesn't change things. The good news is that the B1G & SEC don't likely want the same teams as the Big 12. But the schools that the Big 12 want are going to wait to see if they can get into the B1G or SEC before they decide to jump to the Big 12 (FSU has supposedly already inquired about joining the B1G)....

From Chip Brown at Orangebloods...

>>Big 12 sources said they believe Bowlsby's attention was officially grabbed in December when Warchant.com, the Florida State site on the Yahoo!/Rivals.com network, reported the Seminoles had reached out to the Big Ten about possible membership.

The Big Ten, however, requires its members to be in the American Association of Universities, which represent the top research institutions in the country. Florida State is not an AAU school.

Is this a situation where the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 all need to move within a matter of days in order to prevent the ACC from restructuring? I agree that the Big 12 knows full well that Florida State and Clemson have no other options, but they also face the $50 million fine to move unless the ACC can be disbanded. If it takes months before all three conferences make them moves the ACC can replace members or restructure its voting system. I think we're waiting on two things... North Carolina to choose between the B1G and SEC, and the resolution of legal issues between Maryland and the ACC. If Maryland wins and owes the ACC nothing then Florida State, at least, is also free to move without penalty as they also never signed the $50 million rules.

Is this a situation where the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 all need to move within a matter of days in order to prevent the ACC from restructuring? I agree that the Big 12 knows full well that Florida State and Clemson have no other options, but they also face the $50 million fine to move unless the ACC can be disbanded. If it takes months before all three conferences make them moves the ACC can replace members or restructure its voting system. I think we're waiting on two things... North Carolina to choose between the B1G and SEC, and the resolution of legal issues between Maryland and the ACC. If Maryland wins and owes the ACC nothing then Florida State, at least, is also free to move without penalty as they also never signed the $50 million rules.
I just hope they aren't serious with this 'alliance' BS. That has Big East desperation written all over it.

There was an article recently that the BIG 12 and SEC are looking at a scheduling alliance also. I think that the alliance is just a possible proposal for scheduling OOC with multiple leagues, but not likely the merger with only the ACC as is being projected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT