ADVERTISEMENT

Parking begins at 5 PM for Baylor game. How smoothly is that going to go?

wvpack

All-American
May 29, 2001
First Hospital is more important then athletics. For those that are going to post that a Big 'duh' to you. Doesn't mean you can't work on a better solution for a couple 100 million dollar a year corporation. The Hospital being the much bigger financial entity so they should bear most of the burden.

I would suggest that the hospital continue to explore buying properties next to their current location for more parking garages. They have built ones in the Green lot and next to the stadium. It doesn't sound like those are big enough for employees and patients. I would suggest building some that are big enough for your staff and patients. That burden is 100 percent on the hospital and its BOG. Will it eat your budget sure but it is beyond time to continue to build these especially with the new children's hospital. You should want to provide better parking for patients and employees.

Perhaps they could buy the first 25 yards of the blue lot and build a full length parking garage the same size as the hospital with shops under the garage. It would block the hospital view of the stadium but so what. You no longer need the football stadium to bring attention to your facility. The state of WV is aware of your location after 40 years. From a football perspective that doesn't seem like a big deal. I'm sure a deal could be reached that breaks the lease and allows a full length parking garage. It will cost money but for two revenue producing entities that seems like a normal cost of doing business deal.

This would allow for a full divorce between AD and Hospital. They can do their thing in the garages and WVU's AD can do their thing behind the garage. Perhaps then the AD can buy the neighbor houses next to practice facility to expand their footprint and never the twain should meet.

It would probably help both parties to have clear demarcation lines. My money is on neither party taking any action to help themselves. The hospital has the deal of a lifetime getting cheap use of the football parking lot. They have no reason to change unless Gee pressures them to change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News